The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to Morse Code.  (Read 3799 times)
W1ADE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »

...There really should be a way to OPT OUT of being spotted, it'd make pile ups more manageable and may put an end to the unspecified/unlimited split QRM problem...

...Still, I think that the RBN should have (as it would not be difficult) the option for callsigns that don't ever want to be spotted, to opt out. Of course it won't prevent manual spotting, but still, at least RBN spotting.

Yes, this sounds quite reasonable to me.  I'm new to the "reverse beacon" concept, but completely agree that automated universal spotting may be contributing to the congestion.  

Have you contacted the responsible parties with this notion? 

With apologies for the thread drift above, but I came to this one because I'm going "back to CW" myself.  I tested through 13 and then walked away from it.  Was always too nervous to make horrific code on the air-and there was all that OTHER stuff to do.  I did get brave and call CQ a few times, on dead bands usually--practically risk free.  Tongue

Years have passed and things change and now I'm "this close" to putting my wire back up properly and hacking out some CW-on LIVE bands.  Working on copy every day and now really try to avoid "machine sent" code.  It just sounds flat and uninteresting. I like hearing a tiny bit of "humanity" in the fist. Goodness knows there'll be plenty in mine. Love to hear a well-handled bug.

Also I have a bug in the mail (vintage), so that's going to keep me QUITE busy learning to use it properly and sounding less "buggy".   Grin

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:29:08 PM by W1ADE » Logged
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »

I think you should sound 'buggy'.

Then folks will ask, "Hey are using a bug?"

Kraus
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »

FB on getting a bug.  Please get an elmer to show you the proper way to use one.  I never used one but my friend does and his wrist motion is totally different than mine using my iambic.  I believe they call it 'slap keying' rather than 'squeeze keying'.   This I know, someone using a bug badly sounds like awful but one operated properly sounds nice, especially if they have some type of swing.

Art
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »

I think you will find that the bug is easier to learn and use than an iambic keyer. Also I can copy a bug or straight key a lot easier than perfect iambic code for some reason.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »

AC7CW that's interesting and encouraging  Smiley I also have a VK3 friend who says he can copy straight keys and bugs better than perfect CW. I think this may be due to there being more distinction between characters, e.g. longer dahs in places.

W1ADE I've thought of it, but not sure how and who to contact about this. Aren't there many spotting networks? Or are there just a few main ones? Or is it only one that all tap into? Even it is possible to leave comments without logging in, pretending to be someone else, and lots of abuse in there. It'd need to be the most popular ones to cooperate?

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »

Dear Kraus and Chuck and all,

Slowly getting nearer to getting antennas up... and will look forward to some QSOs on 17m if CONDX allow. A nice quiet band. Yes around 18087 or so, is a good place, less likely to have the 5NN DX pile ups. A pity those pollute WARC bands now, used to be nice places for rag chew and relaxed QSO.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: