The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM AMPS  (Read 1277 times)
WB3DYE

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »

Looking for an Icom used amp to match  it to my ic-7600. Contact me at wb3dye@aol.com
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »

The ICOM PW-1 is a  large boxey design only slightly smaller than a wine cooler.  Two meters are on the front and bare no ressemblence  to a 7600. I would  buy a used Alpha or ACOM for less money and more power out.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »

The ICOM PW-1 is a  large boxey design only slightly smaller than a wine cooler.  Two meters are on the front and bare no ressemblence  to a 7600. I would  buy a used Alpha or ACOM for less money and more power out.

ACOM 1200S offers similar power for $1000 less, but PW-1 includes embedded tuner. If you add 1500W rated tuner to ACOM, cost will be equal. Alpha amplifiers use tubes, and thus are in the different class.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »

Will the tuner cover more than a three to one range? If not you  need a real tunner.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »

Will the tuner cover more than a three to one range? If not you  need a real tunner.

Internal tuner covers only 3:1 range, which is sufficient if resonant antennas are used. For non-resonant antennas wide band REMOTE tuner should be used for best results. They could cost as much as amplifier itself or more if full duty cycle is required.
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »

Best bet for compact and effortless use is the Elecraft KPA-500.  Runs off 120VAC, about the same size as your Icom radio, integrates seamlessly, has a matching wide-range (10:1) optional auto tuner (KAT-500), can run CW and RTTY at 500W as well as SSB - no derating for these modes.

They show up used from time to time on ebay, QRZ and eham.  Less expensive than the PWM-1.  Much more than a cheap used tube amp like an AL-80B.  Or you can buy a new one, or even build the kit to save some $$.

Brian - K6BRN
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »

I had a ICOM 756PRO then I had a ICOM 756PRO3 For performance the PRO I liked best for looks the PRO 3s I liked the looks or best used I also Had  a 7700 for a short time, the PW1 did 1200w hooked up to it and 1000w with the PROs same drive don't know why same drive? The problem I had with the PW-1 was it had 4 small fans that were temp controlled and being small they turned fast to cools the amplifier which would not have been a problem if my coax's came in my shack ten to 15 feet away, but they came in by my operating position and when I was Rag Chewing the noise from the PW-1 was very load with all its air movement, you can remove the head of the PW-1 and there is a cable  inside that can be hooked up and its about 12' long so if you plan right you can overcome the problem, or you just want to usr head phones when your using the PW-1 that would work also, I sold the PW-1 and my ICOM radios and brought a Yaesu FT1200 and there 1000w amplifier problem was solved the Yaesu amplifier uses 2 big fans the turn slower and noise is not a problem with it, did have one problem with the PW-1 a very small chip went bad in the head, I sent the unit up to ICOM on the west cost and they repaired it but the shipping was a lot and if we knew I could have just sent the head, so ICOM open up the amp for me for free, because they felt bad about the shipping.........73s...........kb6hrt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: