Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Uncle DX" insert  (Read 1945 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:16:08 AM »

Today, I received an anonymous mailing from someone I suppose is an expert DXer, or at least he/she thinks that they are. The envelope contained one of the Uncle DX inserts which we all have seen or read. A kind of "Sugestions and/or ideas for good DX practices" I guess you would call it. A useful document which I have read before.

Let me say that I certainly am not beyond reproach, as a DXer or as a human. However, this way of contacting me to give me some instructions, hints, lecture or whatever, is about as cowardly as I have seen. There was NO return address, NO callsign, No name or handwritten message along with the insert. Just the insert.  This was mailed to me here in South Carolina from Ohio, which is where the stamp was cancelled.. I know nothing else about this coward, except they probably live in that area. This person must have looked me up on QRZ.com or some other place, and they must have gotten my email address as well as my physical address. Obviously they did not have the balls to email me, as I guess they were afraid I would find out who they were and where they were. Gutless coward, hiding behind a 42C stamp!

If you are reading this forum, (which I doubt..) and if you are the coward who sent me the mailer,  I wish you would reply to this post so that we can discuss your problem with me and my DXing abilities or the lack thereof. Gene, AF3Y
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »

The Uncle DX list has to do with DX pileups and not being a lid.

Have you been guilty on the air?

I don't think that any comments here on eHam would warrant that, but then again some folks have sent me private emails expressing their ill-conceived notions.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »

I know what the "Uncle DX" inserts are for. I have seen them many times. But No, I dont think I have been guilty on improper operation on the air.  Of course, the possiblity of forgetting which VFO I was using, probably has happened once or twice over the past 3 years or so. Most of us will have that happen now and then, in the heat of a pileup and chasing the DX station. Nothing really that I know of.  

Whether I am guilty of improper operation or not is really not my point. What really PI$$ES me off about this thing is the way it was done.  If someone wants to give me advice or critisize me that is OK, but doing it with no name, no callsign, or anything else is pretty darn shallow. If this person has a problem with me, he should give me a chance to hear just what it is, and give me a chance to reply.  This sounds like the type of A$$hole who walks by your car in the parking lot and uses his key to scratch the paint while walking by. I dont think it is anyone on this forum, but I really would like to know who is such a lowlife coward. Probably some irritated little pistol who could not make the QSO and heard me get through, or perhaps a frustrated ragchewer who heard DXers, including me, on "His" frequency.  Gene
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:26:16 AM »

Not only is it on the cowardly side, it is also useless.

Which of the several strictures did you transgress? How would you know?

Are we supposed to be ashamed every time we use the wrong VFO? Every time we get a little too excited for our own good? Do we turn in our licenses in shame for the slightest miscue?

There's way too many killjoys out there. My policy is simple -- I ignore 'em, especially when they are anonymous.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:27:07 AM »

Finding out who sent you the memo is about as likely as a DX "cop" idetifying himself on the air with his callsign, as he transmits endlessly his own special types of "informational" QRM ( so and so ur 599 TNX, love that one; UP LID UP LID UP UP UP; QSY QSY QSY; various forms of profanity, tuning, etc)  However, I would not get too upset about the mailing, it comes in the category of overzealous/well intentioned and be sure to consider the source.  The DX Cops are no better a species than the so called lids on the wrong VFO, or calling at the wrong times. They are worse than the poor guys trying to make a QSO, persistantly handing out "information" to a currently befuddled audience, usually right on top of a DX station near the noise level.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »

This will offend many in the hobby today but:
 <<<Good DXing is Aggressive DXing>>>

Yep, a tiny number of stations in pileups are rude or incompetent and deserve scorn. But I'm just as offended by the huge number of modern "DXers" who are too timid, too cowed from years of DX net nicey-nicey operating.  

50-60 years ago, ultra rare DX stations might only make a few hundred Qs in a YEAR. If you didn't call aggressively you didn't work 'em. The rarest DX ever, Diu (CR8) was worked by about 100 Sons of Bitches!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:03:17 PM »

"This will offend many in the hobby today but:
<<<Good DXing is Aggressive DXing>>> "

Not without a point it isn't.  It's not aggressive bullcrap from people who can't copy or pretend not to be able to copy their own callsign.

If I'm in a pileup with you I'm going to call all over you until the DX sends "K0?" or "K0OD 5NN," and then you won and I shut up until it's my turn again.

I'll call again in a CW pileup for "OD?" because it's only one dah off my suffix, but on SSB: "The Oscar Delta Please?"  Not me.

"0OD?," on CW I shut up.  "K0?," I shut up.  It's not me.

As far as I'm concerned, this game has fouls.  You beat me in a pileup fair and square, it's your frequency until the QSO is complete.  

Good DXing is honorable competition.  

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »

N3OX: "Good DXing is honorable competition"

Your style sounds aggressive to me. Aggressive DXing speeds the Q rate which slows when newbies only respond to their full and accurate call.

You betcha I come back to "K0OB" or K9OD" [assuming the timing is right] when I know there's a 99.8% chance the DX wants me.  

Experienced DXers are aware of DXers/Contesters with similar calls. In my case, for 25+ years I knew that ANY K0O- being called in a pileup was almost definitely me (two other K0O's have recently been reissued to active contesters).
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »

It also pays to become friendly with the DXers.  As you are finding out, many of the same DXers go on these DXpeditions.  They know who the callsigns are.  And you become familiar with their pattern.  

I don't call it agressive but Smart DXing.

How do you get to know these guys?  Dayton is one place.  Visalia and W9DXCC are another.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:08:22 AM »

There are analogies to top level athletics.

Tom Glavine, and perhaps Maddux, were famous for their  ability to expand the strike zone beyond the normal (legal) 17 inch width. It helps if the umps like or at least respect the pitcher.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 08:02:32 AM »

N3OX wrote:
"As far as I'm concerned, this game has fouls. You beat me in a pileup fair and square, it's your frequency until the QSO is complete."

I'm completely with Dan on this one.  

BTW, there are a number of active DX'ers who have calls similar to mine (at least on CW): NI9C, NI0B, NI0F, and NI0G. I have to be especially careful in replying in the pileups.  I do think QSO rates are slowed more by lids than by scrupulous DX'ers.  

Chuck  NI0C    
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:45:44 AM »

"I'm completely with Dan on this one. "

I think K0OD is on the same page if he thinks my style is aggressive.  

I was thinking of "aggressive" as someone who will do ANYTHING AT ALL to get the QSO, including responding intentionally when they knew it wasn't their go.

The problem is that sometimes it works great.

I was calling OX3XR on 160CW the other night and a K0 called in when OX3XR asked "N3?"

That's a little much, IMO.  OX3XR worked him quick to get him out of the way and asked "N3?" again, which was nice of him, but I think there's something a bit wrong when K0's answer for N3's and vice versa.

Specifically in that situation, it didn't really bother me.  I have a little more tolerance for overly aggressive midwest and west coast on Topband than I do on bands where they don't get totally shut out most of the time.

But I feel like I'm in different pileups than K0OD if he's hearing a lot of milquetoast newbies very timidly peeping their call into the microphone ;-)  I have the absolute opposite experience, on SSB and on CW... lots of calling without regard for others' QSO completion.

Dan

Dan

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »

Chuck, I hear NI0F on 160m a lot.

I have to be similarly careful on TB because K3OX is very active... though he can usually shut me out anyway.

And Jay, N4OX, seems to be getting more active in DXing.  Jay is a contester, so I think he probably gets a little bit of copy-bias advantage.  I'd hate to have, say, W3LPP ;-)

Dan

Dan

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »

"milquetoast newbies very timidly peeping their call"

Those are indeed rare!

I've known Bud, NI0F, for many years and used to work with him at the same firm.  He's worked more DX than I ever will.

Chuck  NI0C

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »

Sticking with the pitching analogy, here are a few off-hand landmarks in baseball's efforts to find the best balance of milquetoast versus aggressive

---------------
1840s: Pitcher's pitched to their own team, like "Dad pitch" today for little kids (think of a ham "List Operation")

1850s: Pitchers pitched to the opposing team but were expected to throw lollipops

1866: Candy Cummings is credited with inventing the curveball

Late 1860s: Some Ivy League colleges ban curves as cheating

1880s: Anything goes!

1890s: Earliest balk rules created to reduce deception

1900: common to dirty ball with tobacco. Spitters were legal

1920: Ray Chapman becomes only major leaguer to die in a game by a pitch

1920: Clean balls mandated. Spitter outlawed for MOST pitchers

1934: Hall of Famer Burleigh Grimes throws last legal splitter

------------
It would be interesting to make a similar list showing how notions of DXing fairness have evolved, which they certainly have.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: