The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modify a Kenwood desk mike for better AM?  (Read 1831 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »

I would like to use the existing MC-80 and 90 that I use on a TS-940 and 950SD instead of having to change back and forth to a D-104 with a FET impedance converter.

Any ideas including changing the element?

Carl
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:29:44 AM »

I have a MC-90 and and it is a fine mic and I cannot under stand why you would butcher it with a cartridge change. Looking for more bass?

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »

I would like to use the existing MC-80 and 90 that I use on a TS-940 and 950SD instead of having to change back and forth to a D-104 with a FET impedance converter.

Any ideas including changing the element?

Carl

Have you considered building a simple switch box to switch between the 2 microphones?

I had a similar microphone issue that I solved by building a simple microphone switch box.
The mini toggle switch selects the desired microphone. Click the following link and the switch
box is the second and third pictures from the top of the page.

http://w5rkl.com/some-of-my-operational-equipment/

To solve the balanced low impedance output of the Pyle microphone I purchased the SHURE
A85F in-line transformer that plugs directly into the base of the Pyle PDMICR42 microphone.
The high impedance output is a 1/4" mono plug that plugs into a 1/4" mono in-line socket
and cable assembly I purchased on eBay.

No more unplugging and plugging in of different microphone, simply select the desired microphone
using the switch box front panel toggle switch. You will need the appropriate connectors and
audio cables. I used inexpensive shielded audio cables found on ebay and have not experienced any RF
pickup on microphone cables from antennas that are 15 feet from the shack.

Mike W5RKL
www.w5rkl.com
WA4JQS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »

Carl
I replaced my hc 90 with a Heil HC4 element a few years back had a hum problem seems i had forgotten to ground the element to the case hihi.. worked great.. on my 950sd's for some reason i have forgotten what.  i pulled it out of service and run all D104's and 10D's on the 950's 850's and 870. guess ill have to hook it back up and do some audio checks . but seems someone told me it had a few too many lows when qrm us high.. Heil makes a kit now for the D104's have not tried it . good luck
73 Tony WA4JQS
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Thanks Mike and Tony for the good comments and ideas.

Back in the 80's I built a switch box to use with a DVK-100, and two different Heil mikes that was used for contesting, DX, and ragchews. Gotta see if it is still around as that would have the proper cables and connectors since I used it with TS-930 and 940's into the 90's.

Carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: