The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm new to CW, and need to know what device can send for me.  (Read 4889 times)
AC0UD

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »

I've just finished the CW Ops class, which was great, but I'm getting tired of keying "CQ CQ CQ DE ..."  What do I need to do this for me?  I have an IC-7200, which is connected to my Mac.  I don't have any ham radio software for my computer yet, but I would imagine there is some piece of hardware or software that I can use to send the repetitive portions.  Can someone educate me?  Thanks!
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »

Many keyers have memory functions.

That said, if sending CQ is repetitious one wonders why. It might have to do with your rig and antenna, propagation, judgement about band conditions and a lot of other considerations.

Some of us who think of CW as an art don't bother to answer CQs sent automatically.
AC0UD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »

Good point, I hadn't considered that.  I'm still learning, so finding someone who answers is still hard for me.  I definately don't know what frequencies to use.  I am considering a new antenna or two so I can open 40-80 meters up as an option.
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:06:39 PM »

I've just finished the CW Ops class, which was great, but I'm getting tired of keying "CQ CQ CQ DE ..."  What do I need to do this for me?  I have an IC-7200, which is connected to my Mac.  I don't have any ham radio software for my computer yet, but I would imagine there is some piece of hardware or software that I can use to send the repetitive portions.  Can someone educate me?  Thanks!

If you can not find software for your radio that will do what you are asking a WinKeyer from K1EL is very popular. It also works well with the contest logging software from n1mm.

Also check out DX Lab for rig control, logging, spot collector, integrated QRZ searches, digital modes, and propagation. It also handles syncing the log with lotw, eQSL and others and manages QSL cards. It's used by many top stations and it is free.

Being Mac based may be a problem......

N6XJP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:36:41 AM »

You're an Amateur Extra class license holder.  How can you NOT know what frequencies are generally used for CW?  The internet is stuffed with information.  Just look at the band plans on the ARRL website, or go to SKCC....or just type into your browser "slow Morse Code" .  Good grief. 
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 05:51:53 AM »

You're an Amateur Extra class license holder.  How can you NOT know what frequencies are generally used for CW?  The internet is stuffed with information.  Just look at the band plans on the ARRL website, or go to SKCC....or just type into your browser "slow Morse Code" .  Good grief. 

My thoughts exactly.

He or she should tap away and wait for an answer.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »

Many keyers have memory functions.

That said, if sending CQ is repetitious one wonders why. It might have to do with your rig and antenna, propagation, judgement about band conditions and a lot of other considerations.

Some of us who think of CW as an art don't bother to answer CQs sent automatically.

Yes, it is that very attitude from some of you "art" fellows that some of us find distasteful, snobbish, and not adherent to the amateurs creed.  Please never answer any of my memory keyed CW. Thank You
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »

Quote from: KE6EE link=topic=115317.msg1002472#msg1002472 date=1496972280

[/quote

Between Field Day and 13 Colonies we will make 10,000 +/- contacts with a very repetitious exchanges, are you saying you wouldn't use a memory keyer? I'm impressed. After the first 12 hour I for one would get fairly sloppy if hand keying.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »

You could try something as simple as keying a Morse code oscillator and a tape recorder (or solid state recorder if you're able to buy one).

After sending practice QSOs to the recorder, then play them back.  Very simple.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »

Why not simply call another station instead of CQing?  Find a QSO or a CQ at a speed you're comfortable with and call the station.  Just make sure the station that you are calling has finished before inadvertently QRMing an ongoing contact.  I can't remember the last time I called CQ outside of a contest.  Many hams find CQs unnecessary. 
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 10:45:57 AM »

Between Field Day and 13 Colonies we will make 10,000 +/- contacts with a very repetitious exchanges, are you saying you wouldn't use a memory keyer? I'm impressed. After the first 12 hour I for one would get fairly sloppy if hand keying.

Grin Different strokes for different folks, certainly.

I have absolutely no interest in 10K "very repetitious exchanges" much as
I find it horrific trying to get somewhere on a gridlocked freeway.

That all seems like imprisonment to me.

I'm out with the "in" crowd. Grin
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »

If you want to send some repetitive thing like CQ ... " automatically , your 7200 has a built-in memory keyer. You use your paddles to program it once by sending your text when prompted, and whatever you programmed will be sent with the push of this memory button. I think there are four of these: no computer necessary. Details in your manual. (PS-'the 7200 is one of my favorite radios and quite good for CW. )

73 de Ray. ...- .-
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »

I recommend sending CQ by hand; it's good practice.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »

Totally agree - Morse code is for human enjoyment, otherwise , why do it ? 

De Ray
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »

Get a single lever paddle and while you sit on the internet just sit there sending random stuff from your screen  while you surfing. In no time you will be sending 40WPM. Thats how I got my son  into CW. It does 2 things. You not being stressed because you new to CW and your first few QSO;s makes you nervous and 2 you training your brain to multitask.

The same with CW practice. Listen to CW while you driving  a manual car while listening to the news while driving to work. Just listen for the callsign and name. Its great training and in no time you will receiving everything in your head. You can use one of the WedSDR receivers on your smartphone.  Just do a bit here and there and its great way to not get stressed from peak hour traffic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: