The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm new to CW, and need to know what device can send for me.  (Read 5374 times)
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »

Wanting to know what sending device will work is a very appropriate question.  However, an Extra not knowing the band plan is disgusting.  They may as well start selling the licenses.
Art
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 05:49:04 PM »

Wanting to know what sending device will work is a very appropriate question.  However, an Extra not knowing the band plan is disgusting.  They may as well start selling the licenses.
Art

At least he asked!
I believe CW is acceptable anywhere in the band plan, but you wouldn't get too many answers outside of the designated areas, unless there was another station looking for you there on a SKED.
Many SSB and repeater stations use automatic CW ID.

PA0KDW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »

Wanting to know what sending device will work is a very appropriate question.  However, an Extra not knowing the band plan is disgusting.  They may as well start selling the licenses.
Art

Excuse me, I do not see that.

When you have a scale of 1 to 100, a technician is level 1 a general is level 2 and an extra is level 3 or 4. All those levels are  negligible on the scale of [0,100]. It is just hobby-level of a set of guys buying their equipment because they are not able to design and develop their own state of the art equipment with available parts.

Also KNOWING something from human generated rules that are not laws of nature  and are pretty time dependent, so that knowledge or remembering them is a waste of your limited memory cells as a ham.

Nice job for lawyers that are not able to think in a creative mathematical, technical and logical way.

It is wise to ask those rules on this forum, when you need them, instead of remembering them with the risk that they are changed in the mean time.

55 Frans
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:16:04 PM by PA0KDW » Logged
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »

Gee Frans, don't lump as all into that category...although with few exceptions you are correct
N6DMR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 09:22:18 PM »

Wanting to know what sending device will work is a very appropriate question.  However, an Extra not knowing the band plan is disgusting.  They may as well start selling the licenses.
Art

Excuse me, I do not see that.

When you have a scale of 1 to 100, a technician is level 1 a general is level 2 and an extra is level 3 or 4. All those levels are  negligible on the scale of [0,100]. It is just hobby-level of a set of guys buying their equipment because they are not able to design and develop their own state of the art equipment with available parts.

Also KNOWING something from human generated rules that are not laws of nature  and are pretty time dependent, so that knowledge or remembering them is a waste of your limited memory cells as a ham.

Nice job for lawyers that are not able to think in a creative mathematical, technical and logical way.

It is wise to ask those rules on this forum, when you need them, instead of remembering them with the risk that they are changed in the mean time.

55 Frans

Well well, always a party pooper in the crowd.  Some holier than thou comments are best left unsaid.

I would bet you were against a no code licensing structure too.

Here we have a new CW enthusiast who is short cutting and asking questions so he can use CW.  Rather than negativity, a little encouragement goes a long way.  Try practicing it.

Also in general, memory keyers do not send perfect code from memory.  You have to select a memory and copy code into the memory with your own fist and then play it back.

Jeez, lighten up and help a ham out.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 07:00:29 AM »

Many keyers have memory functions.

That said, if sending CQ is repetitious one wonders why. It might have to do with your rig and antenna, propagation, judgement about band conditions and a lot of other considerations.

Some of us who think of CW as an art don't bother to answer CQs sent automatically.

Yes, it is that very attitude from some of you "art" fellows that some of us find distasteful, snobbish, and not adherent to the amateurs creed.  Please never answer any of my memory keyed CW. Thank You

There are all kind of Ops out there. There are the "bait and switch" guys too, who send CQ by hand then switch to a keyboard during the QSO!

The only OP that I don't answer is the Obvious bug users ( who actually don't know how to use one) with the dits at 30 wpm, dahs at 20 wpm and sending rate some where between 15 and 18 wpm. IT MAKES ME CRAZY to listen to  it!
Some call it "style", but it's just bad CW which is very hard to copy.
The international standard is 3:1, so IMO, everone should do their best to send it that way.

And what is wrong with using a keyboard? If it makes the job easier for the op why should they not use it? Is there some kind of ham purity act that declares what one can only send CW with?

Zack N8FNR
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »

That said, if sending CQ is repetitious one wonders why. It might have to do with your rig and antenna, propagation, judgement about band conditions and a lot of other considerations.

Some of us who think of CW as an art don't bother to answer CQs sent automatically.

Yes, it is that very attitude from some of you "art" fellows that some of us find distasteful, snobbish, and not adherent to the amateurs creed.  Please never answer any of my memory keyed CW. Thank You

There are all kind of Ops out there. There are the "bait and switch" guys too, who send CQ by hand then switch to a keyboard during the QSO!

The only OP that I don't answer is the Obvious bug users ( who actually don't know how to use one) with the dits at 30 wpm, dahs at 20 wpm and sending rate some where between 15 and 18 wpm. IT MAKES ME CRAZY to listen to  it!
The international standard is 3:1, so IMO, everone should do their best to send it that way.

And what is wrong with using a keyboard? If it makes the job easier for the op why should they not use it? Is there some kind of ham purity act that declares what one can only send CW with?

Zack N8FNR

No, but it's kind of like going to an art show and one of the "artists" is selling paintings done with a "paint by numbers" map kit.

Secondly, you may be able to send pristine code with the computer, but there is no guarantee that your computer can reliably copy the other station's fist! A human is still better at this!
So, that will limit your QSOs to other keyboard CW ops or OPs with very good fists.

N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 07:43:02 AM »

I am talking about sending only. Why would you not answer a keyboard sent CQ? Is the type of keying device more important than the QSO itself? If an op has arthritis should he not use CW at all just because he has problems using a key? What if someone can copy in their head a lot faster than they can send. Wouldn't a keyboard be a great thing for an op like that?

My rig has a built in keyer with 9 CW memories and I can send directly from my keyboard too. What is wrong with using it?

Zack  N8FNR

Zack N8FNR

Zack N8FNR

No, but it's kind of like going to an art show and one of the "artists" is selling paintings done with a "paint by numbers" map kit.

Secondly, you may be able to send pristine code with the computer, but there is no guarantee that your computer can reliably copy the other station's fist! A human is still better at this!
So, that will limit your QSOs to other keyboard CW ops or OPs with very good fists.
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »

Zak N8FNR is announced to be a champion.

He managed to increase the [quote/own_text] ratio to infinity in the previous post.

Wall paper, cuSTOM designed is available on request when self adressed stamped envelope provided.

Wim
73=30
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:23:06 AM by PA0WV » Logged

W0AEW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2017, 05:22:01 AM »

Try CWtype. It works well with my ic-7200 and Lenova IdeaPad.

http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwtype/

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: