The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many slices can you eat?  (Read 9593 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »

I do a number of things that the casual ham doesn't do, such as having CW skimmer and WSJT-X skim every open band for challenge points and other awards fills. It's a real joy to catch a new DX band slot just starting to CQ, work them, then moments later spot it on the cluster to see the whole pileup arrive like a swarm of killer bees. IBTP - In Before The Pileup is my strategy, and it works very well.

Ah, that old gem of a strategy........ like shooting fish in a barrel or going fishing down the river with some sticks of dynamite.

Next you'll be telling me you're also one of those uber competitive types chasing challenge points and awards........oh, wait.......  Grin

Absofreakinglutely. I have technology at my disposal, and every DXer today is using the cluster and computers of some sort. Many are using RBN. This isn't the 1940s anymore. Did you think everyone on the DXCC challenge list got there by spinning the knob and tuning around?  Grin

I'll echo something that many have said - DXCC and other awards are personal achievement. As long as it's within the rules, it doesn't bother me how I obtain it. I am in this for myself, not to please anyone else.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »

I do a number of things that the casual ham doesn't do, such as having CW skimmer and WSJT-X skim every open band for challenge points and other awards fills. It's a real joy to catch a new DX band slot just starting to CQ, work them, then moments later spot it on the cluster to see the whole pileup arrive like a swarm of killer bees. IBTP - In Before The Pileup is my strategy, and it works very well.

You are hardly the only ham that does this. I have been doing it for 5 or 6 years. Thanks to Mark's informative review on sdrzone MANY years ago I pulled the trigger on a QS1R which was and still is a very good SDR. Shortly after buying the QS1R I found out about CW Skimmer which I bought. Then I found out about CW Skimmer Server which was part of CW Skimmer. Since then I have done exactly what you describe - have Qs1R and CW Skimmer Server scan bands. Usually I only scan 3 or 4 bands. Of course it does all this without me and feeds the spots to the CLuster CLient in LOG4OM which will alert me if I need to call a DX station for an award. Like you , Many times I get to the DX before he quits calling CQ and before he gets spotted on  the net.

As you said it works VERY well. So, I guess I been using slices all these years and did not even know it.  
Wink

My solution was much cheaper than your Flex 6700. FWIW I do not switch antennas, I use a RT1A which handles the antenna part between the TX Radio and the QS1R.  My QS1R also doubles for a Panafall with HDSDR software when I am in a pile and want to point and click tune the TX.

The QS1R cost me $800 and about $130 for the RT1A. IOW less than even a Maestro. This setup has worked nicely with several different knobbed radios over many years.

Stan K9IUQ

I may not be the only one, but we are few in number, for now anyway. Most people monitor the cluster rather than having skimmer monitor the bands for them. The cluster has a very noticeable delay and someone has to enter the data first. RBN is faster but still not as fast as a local skimmer.

Anyway, what are you arguing about? I thought that this was about the use cases for multi-slice SDRs. You remind me of someone saying "that doesn't COUNT!!! It isn't FAIR!!!" LOL
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »

Absofreakinglutely. I have technology at my disposal, and every DXer today is using the cluster and computers of some sort. Many are using RBN. This isn't the 1960s anymore. Did you think everyone on the DXCC challenge list got there by spinning the knob and tuning around?  Grin

Yep,all is fair in love, war AND DXING. When you get to my age (57 years as a ham) you do not have a lot of time left...... Wink

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »

Most people monitor the cluster rather than having skimmer monitor the bands for them.

Very true, Which is why you and I have a big advantage over other hams . You see we have our own local cluster which is using our own antennas in our own house.

The big problem with many spots on the Net Clusters is the spots are being fed by super stations with super antennas and many times you do not have a chance in hell of hearing the spot. In addition the super station may be hundreds of miles from you where propagation could be different from your location.

And Where do you think a LOT of those net cluster spots and RBN come from? You think they might be using a QS1R and CW Skimmer Server software? You think?

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:37:22 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »

Most people monitor the cluster rather than having skimmer monitor the bands for them.

Very true, Which is why you and I have a big advantage over other hams . You see we have our own local cluster which is using our own antennas in our own house.

The big problem with many spots on the Net Clusters is the spots are being fed by super stations with super antennas and many times you do not have a chance in hell of hearing the spot. In addition the super station may be hundreds of miles from you where propagation could be different from your location.

And Where do you think a LOT of those net cluster spots come from? You think they might be using a QS1R and CW Skimmer Server software? You think?

Stan K9IUQ

I can pretty much work anything that the east coast stations can hear.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »

I can pretty much work anything that the east coast stations can hear.

Well yeah, you live on the east coast. Try doing it here in the Black Hole Midwest..

Of course I CAN work anything my QS1R can hear.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »

Absofreakinglutely. I have technology at my disposal, and every DXer today is using the cluster and computers of some sort. Many are using RBN. This isn't the 1940s anymore. Did you think everyone on the DXCC challenge list got there by spinning the knob and tuning around?  Grin

I'll echo something that many have said - DXCC and other awards are personal achievement. As long as it's within the rules, it doesn't bother me how I obtain it. I am in this for myself, not to please anyone else.

You're right, it certainly ain't the 1940s when achievements tended to be achievements & latter decades have seen a steady erosion of many rules/standards in pursuit of the rise in the lefty "everyone is a winner" social objective - to the point where the deluded can't see that their so called winner/achievement status is getting close to worthless in many cases - what it does do is it devalues the very few real achievers.

Whether it be the plethora of worthless watered down educational degrees or ten-a-penny ham award junkies with "their" technology (produced by others!!) doing most of the work, only the self deluded would call or class that as a "personal achievement."

Sadly these deluded soles don't see it, but thanks in advance for understanding that I am not here to "please anyone else."  Wink Grin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:08:52 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »

Sadly these deluded soles don't see it, but thanks in advance for understanding that I am not here to "please anyone else."  Wink Grin

Your constant smart ass and snarky comments on eham do not give many eHamers reason to respect your views. We understand you, believe me we do.

The deluded souls (please learn to spell in American English) could care less if we please you or anyone else... Do hamming your way, we don't care, nor do we care how you feel about the way we do hamming.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:35:04 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »

"Sole" may have been meant, as in hide bound leather.  Grin

Fun in the troughs on Eham.

Don'cha love it.
Some just like to add colour to their remarks.
Always enjoyable regardless of culture.

Rick, W3RSW
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »

"Sole" may have been meant, as in hide bound leather.  Grin

Fun in the troughs on Eham.

Don'cha love it.
Some just like to add colour to their remarks.
Always enjoyable regardless of culture.

........... Wink
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »

Your constant smart ass and snarky comments on eham do not give many eHamers reason to respect your views. We understand you, believe me we do.

The deluded souls (please learn to spell in American English) could care less if we please you or anyone else... Do hamming your way, we don't care, nor do we care how you feel about the way we do hamming.

Stan K9IUQ

Which part of "not on here to please anyone else" did you not get.........I get it with your ilk though, always the same (sigh) - you and your sidekick claim the same "could care less" attitude but it's different if it's somebody else taking that position, particularly somebody that doesn't dance to your tune, or shock horror - challenges it.

And what's this "we" this & "we" that - so you're now the self elected spokesperson for eHammers & arbitrator of respected views.........geez.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:58:55 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »

What a grump you are. Very unhappy negative person, everything is bad, it was so much better back in the 40's when real men made their own tubes with their bare feet. Uphill, in the snow.

I bet YOU could not get all those slices and software working.
I bet when tubes came out, some people thought it was cheating...same with superhets.

I wonder why older people always think things are going to pot, yet things generally get better.
They seem obsessed with sheep also...

You're right, it certainly ain't the 1940s when achievements tended to be achievements & latter decades have seen a steady erosion of many rules/standards in pursuit of the rise in the lefty "everyone is a winner" social objective - to the point where the deluded can't see that their so called winner/achievement status is getting close to worthless in many cases - what it does do is it devalues the very few real achievers.

Whether it be the plethora of worthless watered down educational degrees or ten-a-penny ham award junkies with "their" technology (produced by others!!) doing most of the work, only the self deluded would call or class that as a "personal achievement."

W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »

N2DTS  You are wrong about not being able to have custom filters.  You simply write the bandwidth you want into a macro.  I have multiple custom filters for CW and RTTY.  My favorite CW filter is 70hz

73  W9OY
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2017, 06:13:44 PM »

N2DTS  You are wrong about not being able to have custom filters.  You simply write the bandwidth you want into a macro.  I have multiple custom filters for CW and RTTY.  My favorite CW filter is 70hz

73  W9OY

Has anyone put together a public resource that folks can easily get with that kind of info and possible even the macro templates that users can mod to their specs?

NI0Z

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »

That is with the standalone duo (no computer)?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: