The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 and USB Ports  (Read 2102 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »

Right now I have Windows 7 running on my shack PC and I use it to control various USB devices including an oscilloscope, a VNA and a spectrum analyzer. For ages I have been having issues with the Virtual COM Port system and the various versions of USB drivers that are required. Included in this is an absolute requirement for each peripheral to use the same USB port or I will need to go hunting to see which COM port has been assigned this time.

Has this issue been improved in Windows 10 or do Microsoft still use the same system?

Peter DL8OV
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »

It's the same in Windows 10.  Windows will leave USB device assignments alone if you do not unplug the devices.  If you need to move cables around, all bets are off as Windows will reassign port numbers.  It's really bad about adding USB sound cards devices.  It automatically assigns the one added as the system default, so Windows sounds get sent to your radio if you forget to double check.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:27:27 AM »

OK, thanks, it looks like I will be sticking with Windows 7 for a while longer. Slowly the various manufacturers are adding Linux support and when this arrives for all of my test gear our house will be totally Windows free.

Peter DL8OV
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »

It's the same in Windows 10.  Windows will leave USB device assignments alone if you do not unplug the devices.  If you need to move cables around, all bets are off as Windows will reassign port numbers.  It's really bad about adding USB sound cards devices.  It automatically assigns the one added as the system default, so Windows sounds get sent to your radio if you forget to double check.

It's actually even worse;   When Windows 10 decides to do a large quarterly update, I find about rebooting that my various USB sound card codecs for the Icom, Yaesu, and JT-65 software are all jumbled around, making me spend 20 minutes reconfiguring and testing everything.  The most recent Windows 10 Creator update not only moved the codecs around, it somehow managed to change levels, so I had to go into rig menus and windows sound device properties tab and re adjust levels.

I imagine that this would do the same thing to the music/studio people, since they now use a lot of USB audio apps.    MickeySoft simply does NOT understand it's customers.    If we were able to go to the moon and back in 1969, we sure as hell can do better than this, if they wanted to.

Neal
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 04:21:38 AM »

MickeySoft simply does NOT understand it's customers.    If we were able to go to the moon and back in 1969, we sure as hell can do better than this, if they wanted to.

Neal
Second the emotion! I desperately needed to run my antenna analyzer interface Sunday morning, but had to wait for the monster update that arrived overnight to install. It took the better part of a half hour, or at least it seemed that way. I don't particularly hate MS but maybe they just take care of corporate systems administrators and let the rest of us sweat it out when there's a problem.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

I have 14 USB to serial devices and 8 virtual ports and never once has any version of Windows changed the ports during system updates.
We will see about the creators update which will be soon...

VA2FSQ
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »

Right now I have Windows 7 running on my shack PC and I use it to control various USB devices including an oscilloscope, a VNA and a spectrum analyzer. For ages I have been having issues with the Virtual COM Port system and the various versions of USB drivers that are required. Included in this is an absolute requirement for each peripheral to use the same USB port or I will need to go hunting to see which COM port has been assigned this time.

Has this issue been improved in Windows 10 or do Microsoft still use the same system?

One improvement in the past decade, is that for almost all USB-to-serial devices, the default USBSER.SYS driver will do the right thing, and it is not necessary to find and install a special USB driver for every single device.

It is still the case in Windows 10 that if you unplug a USB device from one hole and plug it into a different hole, it will get a new virtual COM port.

Others complain about sound devices and they are in their own version of hell. Every time you have a program accessing a sound device, and you power down or unplug that a sound device - USB or 3.5mm stereo cable - Windows 10 will reassign a different sound device to that program. This is hugely bad, worse than the COM port situation.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »

I'm not so sure you can blame Windows for this.  This is up to the application to make sure that the device is the same.
In the software I wrote, when you restart the program it will attempt to select the last sound device you used.  If it is no longer there it will inform you of this and let you select another one.  That is what all apps should do.
The operating system is doing what it should.  Provide a device for the basic functionality of the system.

VA2FSQ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »

The RigExpert TI-8 uses a number of virtual COM ports for CW, PTT, CAT, and FSK. It comes with a TI Manager program that lets you configure all the ports as you want them. It saves the configuration in it's own file. The manager program runs in the background all the time. Each time you boot the computer, TI Manager configures all the ports in the OS so that they always remain the same for the TI-8 functions.

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »

Lenovo laptop in a Lenovo docking station: I can't even move my usb mouse from one port to another, not to mention that one laptop's audio never worked, by design, from the factory, when in the dock....

Is Linux "there" yet for ham radio? If not then Linux, please get there, ok?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:54 PM »

This most likely has nothing to do with Windows.  Rather poor drivers from lenovo.

VA2FSQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: