The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a chuckle at my homebrew key  (Read 3433 times)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »

Here are a picture of two of my favorite paddles. The homebrew pair I made when I was 13 years old at our ham radio club after school ran by our 8th grade science teacher (now retired) Joe, K2JAO. It is basically circuit board cut out into a pattern which we soldered together. There is also a keyer kit we built (not pictured). I didn't use these too much except for maybe my first bunch of QSO's. It wasn't long before I had a bug (still have), and some bencher paddles I had for a long while (still have those too).

Several years ago, when I put together a 4 x 9 el array and an 8877 amp together for 2m moonbounce (had it up temporarily for a year), I wanted to make sure the very first CW contact I made was using my homebrew paddles I made after school when I was 13. Moonbounce was something our teacher told us about when we were learning about ham radio. Who would have thought when I was soldering the paddles together after school that almost 25 years later they would be bouncing a signal off the moon?

The EME setup I had up for a year.. my friend allowed me to use his back yard as I don't have the space

The array...

I hope to have a permanent 23cm dish up for EME at home soon (all tracking stuff built and tested.. now just to get it in the ground). You know which paddles will be making that first CW QSO!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:42:38 PM by KB2FCV » Logged
W1ADE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

What works works, always has.

What doesn't work, can be fixed.  Yours looks well thought out and may need less fixing than others.

I slapped my "new" straight key onto a bit wood reclaimed from a crate or something-there were rusty nail holes further down the board.  It looks fabtastic.  I'll post it when I get a good pic.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »

If I could figure out how to put a picture up here, I'd send you a picture of my amplifier foot pedal.

Two pieces of flat wood from a window blinds slat, hinged with tape, a nut and bolt to keep them from
going wibble-wobble and a thick automobile wash sponge for a spring.

A micro switch installed between them and a small wooden stump to keep me from smashing it to
pieces.

It's hokey and tacky so says my wife. That means it's a beautiful creation.

Kraus

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: