The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I wonder if CW helps to prevent Alzheimer’s?  (Read 3648 times)
AK0B

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »

I wonder if CW helps to prevent Alzheimer’s?  I initially learned CW when ten and it was shorts and longs.   Really flashing lights.  I never did learn the clicks and clacks or a Morse sounder.

My top speed when I chased DX was somewhere above 25 wpm.  However, I prefer 18 to 20.

Sometimes I would run SSB for a few years and then drift back to CW.  I got my ticket in summer of 1954 so been a ham a long time.     When I drifted back the first few days my speed would run close to 10 – 12 but by the end of a week I am running 15 to 18 again.

CW makes one think fast.  It also forces you not reverse what you hear.  Like a P or X.

This week on the 17th I will be 79.  My oh my where did all those years go. I still copy CW in bursts above 20 WPM but prefer 15 – 18 and I like having my receiver sit on 7030 or their about and decode in my head.

Stan AK0B
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »

I've read articles saying that those who use their brains suffer fewer instances of Alzheimers.  I have also read where using one's brain has no effect on this terrible disease. I personally knew of one genius who developed Alzheimers.   I've read of other geniuses who also developed Alzheirmers.

My philosophy is to use the brain as much as possible while the gittin's good!  Certainly won't hurt anything.

Morse code, as far as I'm concerned is a good mental exercise.... especially head copy.
PA0KDW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 01:47:13 AM »

Beekeeping (with bare hands of course) works better to prevent.
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 02:41:27 AM »

Prevent Alzheimer's what? Alzheimer who? Alzheimer is a family name....
 Cool
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:58:53 AM »

Anecdotally, it does seem that a smaller percentage of the ham population I know (which is kinda heavily weighted towards contesters and DXers and CW ops) gets Alzheimer's disease compared to the percentage of other "normal" people I know.

But, it could also be that continual immersion in RF fields is what does the trick! Or inhaling solder fumes...

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »

Perhaps the act of contesting itself is a progenitor of Alzheimer's?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 05:06:58 AM »

We don't stop playing because we get old.

We get old because we stop playing.

This morning, 4:00a.m., on the roof adding rope to further raise the KC4ZGP 160 meter loop antenna.

One side real high, probably twice. This evening, I'll see how it performs.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:11:22 AM by KC4ZGP » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 06:28:38 AM »

I have wondered about your question.  But I don't have any answers.  My mother in law is living with us and she is suffering from severe and increasing dementia. I will say this, she never made any attempt to keep her brain active.  Years ago my wife attempted to get her to use a computer and do "brain teasers" or anything else to keep her mind active.  She resisted all such suggestions.  When you are living with a person with this disorder, it really makes you think about your own fate in later years.  I think I will go copy some CW.  It may not help, but as said before, it can't hurt.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 06:35:58 AM »

There has been research suggesting music helps Alzheimers patients.  Not quite the same as the research suggests but I hear Morse code as music. 

https://www.alzfdn.org/EducationandCare/musictherapy.html

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »

Here's an old saying I just made up, "If you don't use it, you lose it.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »

My mother in law...she never made any attempt to keep her brain active.

1. The chicken-and-egg thing.

2. We are not machines with on- and -off switches or active and inactive controls.

3. Like many other things that remain mysterious, or at least somewhat so, it's complicated.

4. "Health" is often a useful notion: enough sleep, eating well, exercising, not smoking, avoiding excess stress.

My opinion: CW can be enjoyable, help make contacts and prevent boredom. Anything else is just one of those
crazy things.
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »

Next weeks news may be different but for now many NIH papers draw the same conclusion as the following study:

"For older adults, health practices that could influence the brain include sound nutrition, sufficient sleep, stress management, treatment of mood or anxiety disorders, good vascular health, physical exercise, and avoidance of head trauma. But there is no convincing evidence that memory practice and other cognitively stimulating activities are sufficient to prevent Alzheimer disease; it is not just a case of “use it or lose it.”

Acknowledgments

The author is grateful to Hans-Olov Adami for helpful discussions, and for grant support from the National Institutes of Health (R01 AG08724, P30 AG17265, P50 AG05142) and from the Alzheimer's Association (ZEN-02-3895)."

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 05:49:23 AM »

Now go read these:

http://www.alz.org/we_can_help_stay_mentally_active.asp

http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/guide/preventing-dementia-brain-exercises#1

https://www.developinghumanbrain.org/brain-exercises-prevent-alzheimers-dementia/

Here is what I think.  I think we don't know for sure.  And exercising your brain sure can't hurt.  It copying CW can help if even a little bit, We should do it.  Because from what I can see, losing your brain is a far worse fate than death.
PA0KDW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »

Prevent Alzheimer's what? Alzheimer who? Alzheimer is a family name....
 Cool

Oh? I always thought Alzheimer is a place in the USA In Arkansas Jefferson County and it was used in the past by Danish government to deport people that were growing 'former' in order to get rid of them. That was around 1910 1920, my father told me the stories. The USA had no green cards or alien registration cards at that time, it was gold digging and wild west, and getting rid of the original population. Criminals in Europe could chose: Death penalty or deportation by sailing ships to the USA.

However, I am 95. I suppose so, numbers that change are hard to remember, and
I do not have loss of brains due to Alzheimer, I suppose so agn. However the MD spoke to me: I have two messages for you,  a bad and a nice one, which of the two do you want to hear first? In the mean time mental aid in the form of a dedicated, by additional courses educated nurse was entering the room on his request, and he asked me for permission to attend my conversation with him, the medical doctor.

Well I answered, tell me the bad news first. It turned out I had only a short time left. Not so bad because I am already a lot overtime, and a burden for social security and medical aid insurance.

Well he said The bad news is you have such and such, well remembered but not free for publication here on this forum; "and the good news ?" I asked:

"You have also Alzheimer, so to morrow you probably forgotten the bad news."

OK, never saw that guy again and that happened nearly 3 years ago. The time I obtained my last key.

Now my experience: I lost due to my high age a lot of ham friends, I am only CW, and dependent on their age, at higher age a lot were dying on Alzheimer, in a stinking secured house lying like a baby with pampers in bed in a form you see on pictures like a  baby is in the womb. They did not recognise me, so I stopped visits of my old CW friends.

Here in the Netherlands 34% of people of 80 years old are diagnosed positive on Alzheimer.

So my experience with ham friends passed away, is that brain activity, especially CW doesn't help you a grain.
And me? I was also a beekeeper for many years, and in that club NOBODY was passed away due to Alzheimer (disease, to suit oz8agb)

Frans
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:51:32 AM by PA0KDW » Logged
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »

American television is certainly the cause of any mental dis-configuration.

I watch the news in the morning so for the rest of the day, I know why I'm angry.

I watch the Science channel, and the N.A.S.A. channel. I'm always working on a crossword puzzle.

I might be on the air or in my observatory.

Clint Eastwood, God rest his soul, said man was never meant to sit still.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: