The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I wonder if CW helps to prevent Alzheimer’s?  (Read 3977 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 09:58:30 AM »

Kraus:  Apparently Clint Eastwood never hunted! Or was in combat. 
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »

I was also a beekeeper for many years, and in that club NOBODY was passed away due to Alzheimer (disease, to suit oz8agb)
Frans

Bs (bees) may keep you on your Ts (toes).

Anyone who writes as well, with as much amusement, as you Frans,  is certainly not deteriorated cognitively.

I am biased, of course, in believing that language has something to do with cognitive ability.

Clint Eastwood, God rest his soul, said man was never meant to sit still.
Kraus

Unless something happened to him this morning, Eastwood is still with us.

Sitting still includes time in an automobile: the biggest killer of all.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »

Clint Eastwood is still alive. He won't ever die because God don't need no trouble.

AXW,

Clint wasn't in combat? Wait a minute. I get it. WWII was in black and white. Kelly's Heroes was in color.
Boy! Was I fooled.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 07:01:31 AM »

Because from what I can see, losing your brain is a far worse fate than death.
It's horrible, but I'm not sure. Has anyone come back from death yet to tell us if it is terrible? Perhaps there isn't not something?

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 10:41:33 PM »

Now go read these:

http://www.alz.org/we_can_help_stay_mentally_active.asp

http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/guide/preventing-dementia-brain-exercises#1

https://www.developinghumanbrain.org/brain-exercises-prevent-alzheimers-dementia/

Here is what I think.  I think we don't know for sure.  And exercising your brain sure can't hurt.  It copying CW can help if even a little bit, We should do it.  Because from what I can see, losing your brain is a far worse fate than death.
Your WebMD link says mental exercises delays the onset of symptoms but doesn't delay the ultimate end point. The slide is just steeper at the end. Other large studies have shown this. Granted, if true its better than years of not knowing what the car keys are for.

But I agree with you, they don't know. They told us in the 1990s it is was aluminum cookware and then cholesterol, next week it will be our cell phones. They have to come up with something to get grant money. Its like the blue pill for angina pain that didn't work, but it did have an interesting side effect. I wonder how many angina sufferers died from that side effect before they figured it out.

I know I'm sharper after bingeing  on chess, or a week solving a structual dynamics problem and 9 months of code practice has definitely helped my short term memory for other things.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »

The slide is just steeper at the end. Other large studies have shown this.
It would seem that once you stop or cut back that great mind activity, the fall is very rapid indeed. Maybe the "key" is to have a graceful slow decline in your mental and physical activities rather than keeping it constant when the body can no longer keep up, or having to suddenly drop it all when an illness or other event strikes?

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »

Reminds me of a conversation with some "elders" at The YMCA:

Old Guy 1:  Yeah, that guy in Rawhide, what was his name?"

OG2: "That was Matt Dillon, you know, James Arnold, James Arnie, something like that"

Me: "I think that was Clint Eastwood"

OG1: "Hey, the Kid here, The Kid says it's Clint Eastwood.  Hey Kid, you weren't even born when Rawhide was on."

OG2: "The Kid's right, it was Clint Eastwood."

OG1: "Hey Kid, I guess it was Clint Eastwood.:

OG2: Hey Kid, what'd you say your name was?"

Me: "I didn't."

Pause...silence...then laughter.

OG1:  Hey Kid, that's funny. What's your name?"

I love those guys, they taught me how to be an Old Fart before my time..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:46:59 PM by N4SRN » Logged

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
W9NM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »

I've read many articles over the last several years about medical studies that tender methods to postpone the onset of Alzheimer's.

I've read an article, within the last 6 months, about a medical study that said people who have used one or more of the effective methods to hold off the onset of Alzheimer's, experienced a more rapid progression once the disease takes hold.

I've read an article, within the past few weeks, by a medical research lab, that said that approximately 50% of medical studies that hit the various news sources, print or electronic media, are invalid.  Among various reasons given: insignificant sample sizes, no control groups, to short of duration, not following proper scientific procedures.

Way to complicated. 

That's why I like CW... very simple.  Key down, out goes the wave.  Key up, the wave stops.  Life is great.

Emil
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »

Very interesting and depressing Emil until you ended it on a Good Note :-)
I also read that most "Alzheimers" cases are actually misdiagnosed and the only way to diagnose it is after a person has died and the brain is opened up and examined. Be that as it may, I'm not surprised of the misdiagnosis. I think many things can cause decline in memory and dementia, not least stressful episodes, strokes, medication, depression... TV... politicians...

W9NM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »

Especially: TV... politicians...
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 07:24:32 AM »

Especially: TV... politicians...

Those you just can switch off. The rest,  such as medication, at least is risky.

However when the majority is mis-diagnosed, why go to a MD anyway?

Last week or this morning or yesterday I read an important article about Alzheimer, for citation here,  but I forgot where I can find it back.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:31:33 AM by PA0WV » Logged

KK7GB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »

In March of last year I was involved in a car accident. At the ER, a cat scan was performed of my cervical and cranial areas because of past issues. When my MD, who is a very good friend, read the report, he said I was fortunate the accident occurred and that the ER physician ordered the cat scan.

The scan showed lesions on the brain that are the precursor to Alzheimer. He also said that there are medications and therapies being developed that will slow, if not arrest the progress of the disease.

I have some memory issues, but I do not know if that is because I work the graveyard shift and never feel rested, of if it is the disease manifesting itself. I have tried learning code, but am unable to concentrate enough to retain. Before I was transferred to graveyard, I was up to 18 characters. If I ever get off this blasted shift, I will again pursue learning Morse code.

In the meantime, I will do what I can to exercise my gray matter.

Glenn
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »

Glenn:  Don't know what your work is but the "graveyard" shift was my favorite.  No bosses, no engineers trying new things.....just the noise of 7 turbo-generators.  That's when I was able to do my studying for ham tickets, commercial ticket and just fun reading.   Grin

K1LEM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 04:53:54 AM »

I hope so because at age 72 I am returning to my age 13 when I was only allowed to do cw. The problem today not experienced in past, true telegraphers are a dying breed. Its all CB operations. FCC did not help this in 07 when they dropped code. But, if I am not mistaken FCC still offers a second class radio telegraph license and its 20 wpm cypher Morse for one minute. Real radio exams today IMHO are gone in just about every country.  Embarrassed
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »

Man drops dead on the street.  Cop is looking over the body.  Old Jewish woman runs out and starts feeding the corpse some chicken soup.  Lady, the cop says, he's dead, it won't help.  "Couldn't hoit!" Grin

CW couldn't hurt!  Keep up the Morse Code!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: