The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightbulb vs QRP Radio by Tommy N1SPY  (Read 3108 times)
NO2CW

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »

My 11 year old son Tommy (N1SPY) completed a project where he compared a 1W lightbulb to a .25 W radio beacon that he put together and bet that the radio beacon can be heard around the world. I asked him to document his activities as he went along. The project took a couple of months but is now complete and we stitched together a video of his activities:

https://youtu.be/7Nd_khp13as

Ivan NO2CW
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »

Please pass along my strong congratulations to you and especially to Tommy.  He has already developed lots of skills (including patience!) that will serve him well as he goes on.  Nicely done!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »

Ivan:  I watched the video and was taken back to more than 60 years in time resulting in a flood of long gone happy memories.

I compliment you and Tommy on the beacon project and his success.  THIS, OM, is ham radio!  What is ham radio?  In my opinion it is LEARNING first and working other hams SECOND!  (Let the flaming begin!)

Too many have this bass ackwards these days!  Glad to see you have Tommy on the right road for having fun with electronics and perhaps a rewarding career.
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »

That's an excellent project and you did good work, Tommy.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:54:07 AM »

Very nice work Tommy !  Nice to see you know Morse code.  How low can you go ?  Perhaps another experiment at 100mw !  -Joe N3HEE

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »

That's awesome! Great job and keep experimenting!
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »

Reminds me of years ago when we used a bulb to know when the antenna was in resonance and occasionally got an answer.
Art
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: