The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF recommendation please  (Read 6410 times)
KE0IOU

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »

I am currently using a Comet GP-3 and also an Alpha Delta DX-EE  (10-15-20-40 meters).  The Alpha Delta does very well on 20 meters and much better on 40 meters with the addition of a tuner.  These are located in my attic.  I still have a little room up there and am thinking about adding a vertical HF of some sort or something better.  I would like to improve the 40 meters and maybe get into 80 meters.  I know this may be difficult but I would like your opinion.

A second question that I can't get a good answer on.  I hear quite a bit on 80 meters will I hurt anything if I try to transmit on 80?

Thanks

David
KEƘIOU
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

The Alpha Delta DX-EE consists of several wires and two coils. I don't see that loading it on 80 meters with an antenna tuner would harm it.

I have operated on 80 meters with several 40 meter dipoles and they never worked well at all, although QSOs were made.

I would try driving the coax and antenna as a Marconi antenna against ground.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »

End feds and dipoles!!   Smiley
K1TWH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »

It would help to know what usable room you have in the attic...
KE0IOU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »

I have an area from the front of the garage that goes back nearly 40 feet that runs east and west.  Over the main house is a very difficult area running north and south that is probably 55 feet.  Near the intersection is an elevated area that is may 18-20 feet high.  I had foot surgery recently and can't get up there to take good measurements.

For those who tell me to move.  Thanks for your help.

To those who are being helpful I offer a sincere thank you.

David
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:06:39 AM »

I have an area from the front of the garage that goes back nearly 40 feet that runs east and west. 

I would suggest a 40m dipole here. Yo can bend last 13 feet or so at a right angle (or so) to main run and it will load fine and should work pretty good vs what you have now and it will also work/resonate on 15m as 3/2 wave antenna.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »

The Alpha Delta DX-EE consists of several wires and two coils. I don't see that loading it on 80 meters with an antenna tuner would harm it.

I have operated on 80 meters with several 40 meter dipoles and they never worked well at all, although QSOs were made.

I would try driving the coax and antenna as a Marconi antenna against ground.

The coax disconnected from the radio and the coax shield is connected to an antenna tuner random wire terminal. The antenna tuner ground can be a ground rod and/or some radials.
W4KPA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »

David,

If you Google "linear loaded dipoles" you'll find all kinds of designs that could help you get on 80 meters, even with an attic installation.  You won't be the loudest signal on the band, but it will work at least as well as a mobile antenna.

Bruce
W4KPA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:27 AM »

With a attic antenna you are at a disadvantage from start and should stick with most efficient antennas which means for this poster 40m and above to get most signal out possible.

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:39:29 PM »

With a attic antenna you are at a disadvantage from start and should stick with most efficient antennas which means for this poster 40m and above to get most signal out possible.
It depends on the type of roof, to a great degree.  I had the space for a full sized inverted vee under the roof in my attic when I last lived in CA.  Fortunately, the roof was tile.  I worked 40M and 15M flawlessly.  A lot of DX and with 100W, mos people didn't believe what I was using.  Of course, when it rained, I was out of luck, since enough contamination to really attenuate things.  Also, I had a 2M Ringo up there as well, since I had a steep gable.

I know that now some builders/roofers use aluminum foil lining under the plywood for heat reflection, so that would sort of ruin things, unless someone were able to trim/shape the stuff to acceptable dimensions.

I would think that composition shingles would be worse than tile, since they probably retain moisture longer than tile.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »

Goodness.

NAZI Germany doesn't exist and we don't live in North Korea so what's with the attic antenna?

Get that thing outside and up, up, up in the air. Be proud and show your antenna.

Kraus
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 07:55:40 AM »

NAZI Germany doesn't exist

Do not be so sure. (not in Germany anyway) Some would love to be a dictator.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »

JX,

I almost bought me a TS-480HX. And I almost bought an AL-80B.

Don't ask what stopped me. I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't read all the stuff up here
especially in the amplifier section. Ameritron amplifiers don't look promising. I keep trying
to tell myself, the operator did it, the operator did it.

Oh yesterday I was talking to a gent in Dayton. Told him I'm using my EB-104 amplifier
at about 400 watts. He was yoy-wow! and said I should show it to all on the internet.
I think he was being nice. But we talked. I found he was a retired colonel. I popped to
attention. Retired technical sergeants do that.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: