The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quicker-Turnaround Digital Modes in Experimental Stage for WSJT-X - ARRL News  (Read 1752 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »

Saw this on the ARRL website today. This will be pretty cool if it can be done.

http://www.arrl.org/news/quicker-turnaround-digital-modes-in-experimental-stage-for-wsjt-x-suite

06/15/2017
Recent sporadic-E propagation openings on 6 meters and elsewhere have pointed up the need for a digital mode having faster turnaround time than currently available software versions offer. A recent WSJT-X reflector discussion allowed that, while the slow ’JT modes like JT65 and JT9 have excellent sensitivity, their 1-minute long transmissions may not permit completion of a contact when evanescent signals pop up and quickly disappear under certain E-skip conditions. MSK144 and the fast JT9 submodes allow much shorter transmissions, but they do not offer the multi-decode capability that JT65 users find so effective. Iain MacDonnell, N6ML, was among those remarking that, while the use of JT65 for working E-skip on 6 meters has really taken off, it’s too slow to be practical for openings that only last a couple of minutes or so.

Joe Dzekevich, K1YOW, of Harvard, Massachusetts, sounded a similar theme. “A few days ago we had a great opening on 6 meters, especially here in the New England USA area, given our latitude,” he noted. “I often find that often one cannot complete a QSO due to QSB and the ins and outs of Es. Yet, being a propagation buff, I love the idea that I can leave the rig on 50.276 in JT65 mode and then see who I hear throughout the day via PSK Reporter.”

WSJT-X developer Joe Taylor, K1JT, weighed in to express his appreciation to all who shared their ideas and experiences using JT9 and JT65 modes during recent multi-hop E-skip openings on 6 meters.

“We are very much aware that a mode with most of the excellent characteristics of JT65, but with faster turnaround time, would be a big winner in such situations,” Taylor commented on behalf of the WSJT-X development team. “We are experimenting with several such possibilities. Tentative goals include 15-second T/R sequences, sensitivity around S/N = –20 dB, occupied bandwidth less than that of JT65, and capability to decode as many as 10 or 20 signals in a 2-kHz bandwidth.”

But, Taylor added, developing new modes takes a lot of time, and results are not guaranteed. “We will report significant progress if and when available,” he pledged.

According to the WSJT-X page, JT9 is optimized for LF, MF, and HF, and it’s some 2 dB more sensitive than JT65 while using less than 10% of the bandwidth. Both JT9 and JT65 permit DX contacts at very low power levels and modest antennas. — Thanks to Joe Taylor, K1JT
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »

Interesting.  Hope Joe comes up with something.  Yes I have had quite a few JT65 qso on 6 meters not complete for the reasons reported above.  Yes JT65 has come alive on 6 meters in recent weeks with signals every day.  IT really gets interesting when the Europeans start printing on the screen.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »

Interesting.  Hope Joe comes up with something.  Yes I have had quite a few JT65 qso on 6 meters not complete for the reasons reported above.  Yes JT65 has come alive on 6 meters in recent weeks with signals every day.  IT really gets interesting when the Europeans start printing on the screen.

I'm looking forward to this new mode/adaptation. It would be even better if it works on HF as well.

73 de Vince, VA3VF
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »

I'm looking forward to this new mode/adaptation. It would be even better if it works on HF as well.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

have you been getting in on these 6 meter openings to Europe and Japan?   Pretty interesting stuff.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »

have you been getting in on these 6 meter openings to Europe and Japan?   Pretty interesting stuff.

Yes, lots of activity.

I'm not equipped for 6M, and was not very interested before. But there is a TS-590SG in my future, and the JT modes makes 6M a good new 'frontier' to explore.

73 de Vince, VA3VF
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »

Yes, lots of activity.

I'm not equipped for 6M, and was not very interested before. But there is a TS-590SG in my future, and the JT modes makes 6M a good new 'frontier' to explore.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

It is fun, perhaps I will see you on JT65 soon on 6. 
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »

Yes, lots of activity.

6M is on fire right know. A number of the usual HF calls are there. No wonder 20M is so quiet.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: