The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with cell phone booster install - SC TN  (Read 1956 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »

For example, using my Droid's organi signal strength meter, I'll take measurement "Before" I turn on the booster and then "After" to see the difference, if any.  "Before" measurements would be in either "1X" or "4G"; then the "After" measurements would in "3G".  How in the world do those three number correlate to each other to see if the signal was actually boosted to useful levels?
Thanks!

I'm not sure what the app is doing there. If you have the option, set the app for 3G (or 1x) only since you're primarily concerned about voice. A signal level above -85 dBm should provide reliable voice service. -86 to -100 dBm should provide fair service. Aligning the Yagi will likely take a lot of trial and error depending on how fast the app refreshes signal strength, or if you have to refresh the app manually after each successive movement of the Yagi.

You're exactly right about cell companies not willing to disclose their cell towers!  My wife spent better part of an hour with several people at VW before one would admit where the closest tower was to us.

I do not know what mystery is. There are a few good free apps for Andriod that shows exactly were tower is you are connected too. I showed it to a cell phone repair guy once and he did not even know about apps. He downloaded it for his personal usage.

It's getting more complicated all the time. Service may be provided by a regional carrier in some locations, then there are roaming agreements, so the cell site providing service may not be owned by your carrier in some instances. And now small cells are proliferating, many of which are backhauled to a traditional macro cell site.

KI4DGT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »

You're exactly right about cell companies not willing to disclose their cell towers!  My wife spent better part of an hour with several people at VW before one would admit where the closest tower was to us.

I do not know what mystery is. There are a few good free apps for Andriod that shows exactly were tower is you are connected too. I showed it to a cell phone repair guy once and he did not even know about apps. He downloaded it for his personal usage.

Please read the first couple paragraphs of Reply #7 above.  OpenSignal is "supposed" to be the bst.  it's crap, near as I can tell.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »

Please read the first couple paragraphs of Reply #7 above.  OpenSignal is "supposed" to be the bst.  it's crap, near as I can tell.

I use "Network Cell Info". It has been very reliable for me.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: