The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First medical advice by radio  (Read 1169 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:27 PM »

Does anyone have any information on when the first radio medical advice started? I have seen that advice for ships was available from New York in about 1920 and from Sweden in 1922, while in Australia, what eventually became the Royal Flying Doctor Service was using radio from the late 1920s. I believe there was some sort of radio medical advice system in Alaska in the 1920s, but I have no details.

I'm preparing a lecture on 'Advances in Radio in Medicine' for the Gloucestershire Branch of the Institute of Electronics and Technology next month, so any help appreciated.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »

Very interesting question.Somebody has to have the answer.Wow.Have a great day.
N1UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »

For the Alaska question, a couple of links:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/nativevoices/timeline/429.html
https://auntphilstrunk.com/radios-early-alaska-lifelines/

RFDS

Pedal Radio - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_power#Pedal-powered_transmitter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flying_Doctor_Service_of_Australia#Flight_and_radio:_the_fusion_of_two_fledgling_technologies

Good luck!

WB1FFI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »

Peter, Try contacting Warren Brown at warren.brown1924@gmail.com as he is the editor of the Medical Amateur Radio Council newsletter "Aether" and he might know the answer to your question. Good luck with your search. 73, Barry
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:03:30 PM »

The very first was "relax, breathe... you can do code"

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:59:36 AM »

Tnx guys. The Alaska reference is one I hadn't found, although I was aware there was something there because of a comment some years back on - guess where! - eham.net!

I'll try Warren Brown.

tnx agn guys.

Peter G3RZP
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:48:10 AM »

We used to ring the Royal Navy Hospital in Plymouth for medico advice.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:25:51 AM »

The procedure when I got my maritime certificate was to call a coast station with a PAN on telephony or an XXX on Morse: if no coast station available, a CQ XXX. An RO friend of mine on a tanker in the northern Caribbean had developed - don't ask how, he didn't know but thought it was from some weight lifting exercise - a strangled blood supply to a testicle. He had an electronic bug - he said the pain was too great to use the fitted Marconi straight key - and he managed a CQ XXX on 500kHz and sent the message before becoming unconscious. In short order, the US Coast Guard appeared and he had an operation on board the CG cutter.
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:11:19 AM »

I think the old name for it is twisted testicle it happened to a neighbour in the 50s after tennis  his family had to use my aunts doctor phone to call an ambulance, which arrived in the middle of nowhere in a jiffy, and despite the inevitable surgery on the edge of nowhere went on to greatness . Good luck with the research but remember to test your sources.

Wyn
VR2AX / GW3YGH
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »

Yes, the first medical advice via radio went like this.

"Get out of there!!"

On 20 meter phone this evening.

Kraus
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: