The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New amatuer operator question.  (Read 8167 times)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »

...I think the FT450 is not a bad transceiver, and it has a lot of features and capabilities for the money. It makes a good portable rig, a good backup rig or a good main rig for a new ham.  ...
How does a -450 stack up against an IC-718? I've used the latter and both are roughly in the same price tier.

As an owner of two other Icom transceivers, I will state outright I prefer Icom's for their operating system and ease of use.

BUT. The FT450D (I don't own one, I have the older but near the same FT450at.) has more features. 5 times the memory channels that can be put into banks, More frequency stability with a built in TCXO.   The big one is 6 meters.  A very important band right now .  Ft450 has 6 meters all mode. the 718 doesn't.  The 718 has an auto-notch, the FT450 doesn't, but the manual notch is two stage and very good.  The Ft450 has contour and IF shift, and once you learn how to use them, they work quite well for QRM fighting.   The FT450 has 3 built in IF filters, nothing to buy. the 718 has an optional filter.  The 450 has a built in antenna tuner, the Icom has optional external tuner capability for extra cost.  lots of extra cost.  the 450 has built in cw memory keyer and built in voice keyer.  The ft450 also has a beacon mode and cw practice mode and on and on and on.

If you want my opinion, (and you sorta asked)  The Ft450D is in another class above the IC718 in that it offers many more features than the IC718.

Now for the minus sides..The FT450 will take longer to learn how to operate. Once you do all that feature goodness is at your fingertips, but don't expect to master it in a weekend.  Like all Icoms the 718 will be almost intuitive to operate..

I have operated several modern Yaesu radios, and several modern Icom radios.  The Yaesu's work very well but you have to learn how to use them.  The Icoms work very well, and they are easy to use from the get go.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.  Other opinions may very.   Smiley
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »

...I think the FT450 is not a bad transceiver, and it has a lot of features and capabilities for the money. It makes a good portable rig, a good backup rig or a good main rig for a new ham.  ...
How does a -450 stack up against an IC-718? I've used the latter and both are roughly in the same price tier.

As an owner of two other Icom transceivers, I will state outright I prefer Icom's for their operating system and ease of use.

BUT. The FT450D (I don't own one, I have the older but near the same FT450at.) has more features. 5 times the memory channels that can be put into banks, More frequency stability with a built in TCXO.   The big one is 6 meters.  A very important band right now .  Ft450 has 6 meters all mode. the 718 doesn't.  The 718 has an auto-notch, the FT450 doesn't, but the manual notch is two stage and very good.  The Ft450 has contour and IF shift, and once you learn how to use them, they work quite well for QRM fighting.   The FT450 has 3 built in IF filters, nothing to buy. the 718 has an optional filter.  The 450 has a built in antenna tuner, the Icom has optional external tuner capability for extra cost.  lots of extra cost.  the 450 has built in cw memory keyer and built in voice keyer.  The ft450 also has a beacon mode and cw practice mode and on and on and on.

If you want my opinion, (and you sorta asked)  The Ft450D is in another class above the IC718 in that it offers many more features than the IC718.

Now for the minus sides..The FT450 will take longer to learn how to operate. Once you do all that feature goodness is at your fingertips, but don't expect to master it in a weekend.  Like all Icoms the 718 will be almost intuitive to operate..

I have operated several modern Yaesu radios, and several modern Icom radios.  The Yaesu's work very well but you have to learn how to use them.  The Icoms work very well, and they are easy to use from the get go.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.  Other opinions may very.   Smiley

Good summary. And totally agree that the 450 is not mastered in a weekend. That's one reason I disregard the "expert advice" of a guy that has spent a couple of hours in a store comparing the 450 to other radios. He reminds me of a religions zealot that believes he has found the truth and wants to convert everyone to his way of thinking, and is deeply affected by people like me who don't buy the dogma.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »

This thread was started by myself wanting to find answers to transgressions committed on the air by ones self and to apply a resolution to that violation. That mission had been accomplished. I've noted that the thread seems to have taken a turn away from the subject. So If ya'all like, for my further education as a new ham, I can start a new topic, "Yesteryear to present on air notable changes" or something like that.

So I want to say Thanks! for the many replies. I believe my question has been answered and the general attitude towards this transgression has been expressed. Your inputs are greatly appreciated and has been very educational. QSL

73's
Al
KE8HAG

Al, first off, WELCOME ABOARD the board and AR in general. Looks like you picked up a 'handle' already by virtue of your call. When I first started my suffix was QEB which earned me the moniker queeb. I don't miss that at all. It's great to have some new blood in here with a sense of humor for a change. You will fit in fine, just don't let me catch you huffing the winter glue with ole Chucky there or you will be in for a world of $#!t.

As you are discovering, the art of hijacking the thread is a finely honed and quite often implemented skill set here and on other boards as well. Some are better at it than others. The best ones do it without you even realizing it till much later, like when you are trying to fall asleep then it hits you. It's all part of the 'fun'. So have fun, glad you found your way here and stay away from that glue. You'll see. Oh, try not to drunk post on here. There is one here (coughktncough) that can't resist and it's pretty obvious, not to mention embarrassing. Give the eight land back it's glory man!

I suppose there are worse ways of passing time. None more entertaining than this while waiting for the next ATNO (all time new one) on the bands. Nice to meet you (as it were) and 73!

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KE8HAG

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »

Al, first off, WELCOME ABOARD the board and AR in general. Looks like you picked up a 'handle' already by virtue of your call. When I first started my suffix was QEB which earned me the moniker queeb. I don't miss that at all. It's great to have some new blood in here with a sense of humor for a change. You will fit in fine, just don't let me catch you huffing the winter glue with ole Chucky there or you will be in for a world of $#!t.

As you are discovering, the art of hijacking the thread is a finely honed and quite often implemented skill set here and on other boards as well. Some are better at it than others. The best ones do it without you even realizing it till much later, like when you are trying to fall asleep then it hits you. It's all part of the 'fun'. So have fun, glad you found your way here and stay away from that glue. You'll see. Oh, try not to drunk post on here. There is one here (coughktncough) that can't resist and it's pretty obvious, not to mention embarrassing. Give the eight land back it's glory man!

I suppose there are worse ways of passing time. None more entertaining than this while waiting for the next ATNO (all time new one) on the bands. Nice to meet you (as it were) and 73!

Not to worry. 70 years on this earth has taught me few things. As ND6M quoted "Well Al, I see you are a "quick learn". I think a little quicker than he thinks. Right after Wouff Hong came into the picture, I suspected and expected a deviation from subject.

As for the nick name, I kinda figured that was to come. I even thought of it when I first seen my call, but it's ok, I kinda like it. I like to laugh and chuckle just like the next guy. The only thing personal to me is my thoughts and actions. Filtering out the BS from others is pretty much second nature but I also know that BS can reveal some truths.

Thanks for the welcome WZ7U, 73's and hope to talk to ya on the air some day.

Al

Shoot for the Moon !! Even if you miss...you'll still land in the Stars.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »

Wow ... My handle is the Captain.. Take care . 73SS$$
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »

I finally heard from the official oberservers [SIC] club i can join for a small donation ..Wow..
I ask for the third time-- who offered you membership as an OO for a fee?  Please name names and callsigns...  Or perhaps it never happened?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »

Nope, never happened. Like the FCC and utility company job offers, the infamous billboard, etc., etc.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2017, 07:40:55 PM »

Why would you want this information???.What would you do with it .Huh Why is it so important to you. Huh. It happened and I am thinking about  it.. Everyone have a Joyous day/night and enjoy the hobby and try not to let things  stress you out. God Bless ....73sssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblkQ-J6zio
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »

Lets recap a bit:
I finally heard from the official oberservers [SIC] club i can join for a small donation ..Wow..

To which I have now asked a number of times this:
I ask you again, EXACTLY who offered you a membership as an OO for a fee, and when?  Please feel free to name names, and call signs.

And now you refuse to answer...
Why would you want this information???
Because I don't believe you, and it would only be fair to allow you to post who offered you a "membership" into the OO "club", for a fee, so you can clear your name...  Either someone did offer you this, or you made it up.  Which is it?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2017, 08:41:03 PM »

Yeah Chuck, inquiring minds want to know, and all that

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2017, 05:55:48 PM »

When i get home or back from Vacation i will tell you who sent me the oo information call signs and the like so we can settle this and move forward and trust will be reaffirmed..Have a joyous day.And remember that our hobby is only as strong as our trust that we have with one another. God bless to all. Later Gator.... 73s.Happy 4th of JULY.
Trust will be established strong and true.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:12:46 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »

Trust will be established strong and true.

Especially when we speak of billboard glue.  Wink
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: