The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will 2.5 amp's run a TS-570D for listening only?  (Read 882 times)
KM4RLT

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »

Hello
Will a radio shack 12vdc 2.5 amp power supply run a TS-570D for listening only till I get my Astron RS-35M? I know I can't key down on it or tune it!
Thanks Jeff
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:18 PM »

Jeff,
  A simple go go on the duck (Duck Duck Go, a google competitor) produced this document - http://www.qsl.net/on6ab/TS570Schemazip/TS570D%20expanded%20test%20results.pdf

Quick answer, from page 7,  .78A receive. 3/4 of an amp approximately. Easy peasy.  Wink

Oh, just so you know, there are a contingent on the interwebs that would've scolded you for not looking that up yourself first. Mightily I'm sure. While I don't personally know of the level of your internet accessibility, might I suggest you try a simple google (or the equivalent) search of the question at hand. To avoid any future 'entanglements' with 'those' hams. Just sayin.  Grin

You should be fine. As you noted, it will not support transmit currents. Enjoy listening to all there is to hear out there.

Oh, and you're welcome.

73, Eric

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »

Hello
Will a radio shack 12vdc 2.5 amp power supply run a TS-570D for listening only till I get my Astron RS-35M? I know I can't key down on it or tune it!
Thanks Jeff

It draws less than 2 amps at normal volume. You will be fine.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KM4RLT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »

Thanks everybody I do Appreciate it
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »

Jeff....  a quick check for your answer is to measure the voltage when you power up the receiver.  If it drops, then the power supply is overloaded.  This part can be done in a very short time.  (No voltmeter...go to Harbor Freight and get one for 5 bucks!)

Then, if the power supply voltage stays put then monitor the fingers the temp of the pass transistor or heatsink.  If those temps stays reasonable, then you're in like Flynn!  (Time for this part of the experiment, just a few minutes.)
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 01:27:38 AM »

Is this the Micronta regulated 12 volt supply from Radio Shack? If so, the 13.5-ish output voltage should be fairly stable both with or without load.
 These simple power supplies are RFI quiet, simple and serviceable. I have used them as a general bench supply when operating/repairing solid-state car radios and portables.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: