The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bad seller  (Read 7523 times)
KF4QAG

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »

I recently made my first purchase on QTH.com. Unfortunately, it was a mistake.  I went to the site of Jennifer Dishman, call sign K9JAL, and found where she had posted a Kenwood TS440S and Astron 20 amp power supply for sale for $400.  When I contacted Ms. Dishman by phone, Mike Elder, call sign WJ9E, responded.  In fact, he was always the person that answered my texts and calls. In the beginning of our conversations, when I informed Mr. Elder that I was interested in purchasing the items, he informed me that depsite having others interested, he would sell the equipment to me. He stated that he would like to have the money as soon as possible and requested a postal money order.  He said he had no paypal, checkings, or savings account.  This should have been my first warning. However, I sent the money in form of a postal money order in a UPS next day air envelope on a Friday.  He received the money on Monday, but did not send my radio out until Thursday, despite multiple calls and texts.  I received the equipment this past Monday.  He had previously informed me that the radio only had a couple of scratches.  The radio I received had multiple scratches, a chip in the face plate, 3 screws missing, and a 12 amp power supply.  I have made two calls and left numerous texts to his cell phone since receiving the equipment, but his phone is now disconnected.  Even though the radio turns on and receives, I am unable to make contact with anyone.  I find this very odd, which makes me unsure about the quality of the radio, overall.  I let my trust of this site get the better of me.  I have learned a difficult lesson to not trust this site nor the individuals selling equipment on here.  What a disappointment and a complete waste of $400, which didn't come easy.  Buyers beware!!!!
--Steve (kf4qag)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »

Oh boy. Sad it happened.

Where about are you calling? Have you a meter to observe the output?

I hang on twenty meters and I get the same...no answers...then someone
answers. I almost react as if the voice is a ghost sound. Amazed I hear anyone.

Let's meet and see what your transceiver is doing.

Kraus

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »

It sounds like you got burned, but it's possible your Kenwood might be fixable. IIRC the 440 is a hybrid rig with vacuum tubes in the driver and final output circuits. It's possible that the tubes are bad. But nevertheless, definitely a bad seller. Sounds like you're a new ham, so chalk it up to a learning experience.  Sad
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »

I recently made my first purchase on QTH.com. Unfortunately, it was a mistake.  I went to the site of Jennifer Dishman, call sign K9JAL, and found where she had posted a Kenwood TS440S and Astron 20 amp power supply for sale for $400.  When I contacted Ms. Dishman by phone, Mike Elder, call sign WJ9E, responded.  In fact, he was always the person that answered my texts and calls. In the beginning of our conversations, when I informed Mr. Elder that I was interested in purchasing the items, he informed me that depsite having others interested, he would sell the equipment to me. He stated that he would like to have the money as soon as possible and requested a postal money order.  He said he had no paypal, checkings, or savings account.  This should have been my first warning. However, I sent the money in form of a postal money order in a UPS next day air envelope on a Friday.  He received the money on Monday, but did not send my radio out until Thursday, despite multiple calls and texts.  I received the equipment this past Monday.  He had previously informed me that the radio only had a couple of scratches.  The radio I received had multiple scratches, a chip in the face plate, 3 screws missing, and a 12 amp power supply.  I have made two calls and left numerous texts to his cell phone since receiving the equipment, but his phone is now disconnected.  Even though the radio turns on and receives, I am unable to make contact with anyone.  I find this very odd, which makes me unsure about the quality of the radio, overall.  I let my trust of this site get the better of me.  I have learned a difficult lesson to not trust this site nor the individuals selling equipment on here.  What a disappointment and a complete waste of $400, which didn't come easy.  Buyers beware!!!!
--Steve (kf4qag)

Sorry this happened to you, but your not the only one that's been burned, or attempted to be burned. Not all sellers on any particular classified web site are bad, but there are signs to look for to increase your chances of a good deal. I'm not letting the two bad apples in my experience ruin my dealings in the future cause that would be a win for them.

If you hear them on the air expose them there also. I know I have and will continue to do so.

73 and good luck
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »

It sounds like you got burned, but it's possible your Kenwood might be fixable. IIRC the 440 is a hybrid rig with vacuum tubes in the driver and final output circuits. It's possible that the tubes are bad. But nevertheless, definitely a bad seller. Sounds like you're a new ham, so chalk it up to a learning experience.  Sad

The TS-440S is an all solid state radio.  It is also over 25 years old. 

Sorry you were burned but that is a pretty hefty price, even for a mint one - parts are now hard to find. 

I sell some items for my club and SK estates - will only sell face to face and for cash.  Too many bad operators out here. 
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

The TS-440S is an all solid state radio.  It is also over 25 years old. 

Sorry you were burned but that is a pretty hefty price, even for a mint one - parts are now hard to find. 

I sell some items for my club and SK estates - will only sell face to face and for cash.  Too many bad operators out here. 

I stand corrected. I can never remember which of the old Kenwoods are solid state and which are hybrid. OP said that the price included an Astron 20 amp PS, so if the Kenwood was in pretty good shape it MIGHT not be such a bad price. Personally I recommend to new hams that they avoid all the old 80s rigs that had what I call "clicker switches" such as the Kenwood 120/130/180/440 and such, and the Icom 725/751, off the top of my head. The switches had little circuit boards sandwiched between the mechanical parts, and the boards tend to go bad. And as you noted, NOS replacement switches do not exist. I personally have bought most of my station equipment off Craigslist.
N6BIZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »

Send ur box to AVVID in tx
U will have a new radio when it's fixed
W2NAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »

this isn't the first time.

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »

Steve ,don't try to transmit using the 12 amp supply in case that you are using that. You will need a supply in excess of 20 amps to transmit or the radio will not work on transmit. That could be your problem. I used an Astron RS 35 on my 440 for 20 years.
The problem a 440 usually gets after time is the dot display failure one.

Frank
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »

I keep reading the advice to not run the TS 440 on the 12 amp power supply. To be specifically clear there is no problem if you just lower the output power. You should be able to run 25watts of output on that 12 amp power supply with no problem.  Some will say with poor propagation 25W is like running QRP, but that is an incorrect statement. You will be surprised what you can work with 25watts let alone QRP power. In the end and the point is, at least you will be able to utilize your kenwood TS440 rather than not utilize it at all. Do not deprive yourself of some enjoyment rather than none at all.

K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »

--Steve (kf4qag)

Totally sorry this happened Sad. But please do not lump all sellers into your "Bad" category because of this. I have bought and sold many items online over the last 20+ years and only been burned once.

Many don't like it but the safest place for a buyer these days is eBay because there are extra levels of protection there. And no matter where you buy online, ALWAYS use online payment methods such as PayPal, debit/credit card etc. and NEVER snail mail a money order payment because then you are screwed if things go south.

But, not here to lecture you. Hindsight is 20/20 for sure. Just be aware that even now, there are still many more good, honest sellers than there are bad. Take care.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »

Steve ,don't try to transmit using the 12 amp supply in case that you are using that. You will need a supply in excess of 20 amps to transmit or the radio will not work on transmit. That could be your problem. I used an Astron RS 35 on my 440 for 20 years.
The problem a 440 usually gets after time is the dot display failure one.

Frank

I laugh every time I see someone saying you need in excess of 20amp to xmit. Pure BS. Those making those claims have never actually checked the draw of several rigs key down 100 watts out. They are arm chair experts that read a spec sheet that states likely worse case scenarios (15% over 13.8 volts) not real world draw at 13.8 volts. If they stated real world draw of 17 or 18 amps, someone would bitch if their rig drew 18.5 amps.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »

If you run mainly SSB like the atypical no code ops, you will hardly ever pop the power supply or any fuse, it is intermittent current (ICS). I haven't met too many folks that will operate solid Key Down indefinitely and run anywhere close to the supposed 20-25 amps.  Most power supplies will handle it even if rated under 35 amps or so....
I would recommend if you run SSB, a 12-20 amp supply would likely suffice.  Look at the radio's power cord, I doubt it is rated for 25 amps...most are 14 gage or 16 gage wire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: