The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet CW in your future ?  (Read 5329 times)
AK0B

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »

Morse Code on the internet.   Makezine.com vol 58 Aug 2017 issue has an article operating morse on internet connections using a Raspberry Pi.  The cost would be low.   If you ignore his laser-cut box.  It does appear interesting for someone who understands the Pi.  It uses something called WebSockets. 

Software should be at Github.com/theautodidacts/internettelegraph/releases
Perhaps someone who knows about the pi and internet connections could tell us old timers how it works, if it does and why I would want to send CW across the internet.

Stan AK0B
DU7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:18 AM »

If you want morse code on the internet(is it really still continuous wave?) there's also CW.com.
WB8LZR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »

Went to the Makezine site and searched, but came up with nothing.  I guess you have to buy the mag, or my typing skills weren't showing up.

I went to the Github and found a source file and a binary file, but I've never seen a Github with less information.  No "readme" file, no nothin.  Just the source and bin files.

Anyway - that aside - I can see that this sort of thing could be popular among certain hams living in retirement homes and such, where there are too many restrictions for regular on-the-air activity.

It seems that the new Opus, latency aware codec, coupled with some associated streaming software functionality, could be used for the "internet morse," and probably would be pretty good for it.   Methinks someone would have to run a "gathering place" server, which could list the "CQ callers" - and connect this to that.

Very interesting ...
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »

http://makezine.com/projects/use-raspberry-pi-modern-day-telegraph/

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »

That advice in there of transcribing  the code down as "dots" and "dashes"  and decoding it later... Now, the person that advised to do that, has never learned the code.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 06:13:37 AM »

That advice in there of transcribing  the code down as "dots" and "dashes"  and decoding it later... Now, the person that advised to do that, has never learned the code.
Although it's true I would not advise that, BUT that's how I taught myself Morse Code at a very young age, perhaps 8 years or so. I would listen to the coastal station loops and notice a pattern. ...- ...- ...- and I'd write it on the paper, each time the loop came around I'd have a bit more. I then looked up the letters and was confused: VVV VVV VVV DE VIS5 VIS5 VIS5 QSX 8 MC/S K or some such. But in time, I worked most of it out by comparing with others, and I got faster as I could not recognize the sounds of letters. All this mind you without any modulated tone, on an AM receiver, though 500kHz was usually modulated CW. So, it did not harm me to learn that way but I did not learn at slow speed, right away I was listening to at least 18-20 WPM even if at first I did write it down in that manner. So the advice is not totally off the mark and is practical in an emergency where someone doesn't have the time to learn it off the bat :-)

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »

In the future? Gmail Tap is already here:
https://www.gmail.com/mail/help/promos/tap/
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »

See this.

http://internetcw.weebly.com

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »

In the future? Gmail Tap is already here:
https://www.gmail.com/mail/help/promos/tap/

This was an april fools joke from Google.  There is a "dot dash" keyboard in the play store, I tried it, but it really really sucks if you know the code. because you have to hit a space bar after every character.  it is UNTIMED.  absolutely worthless.  If it allowed you to set a speed you could probably use it.  But you have to form a character and hit a space bar.  It really throws you off.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »

I suppose this may be in my future when they put me in the 'old folks home', but my mother was just 102 and still gets around.  Perhaps in another 30 years we will be using telepathy.
Art
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »

You hold a lot of faith in the development of humanity. I think it is in decline, our generation used 5% of its brainpower, generation X 3%, Y 2%, Z less than 1%. Telepathy was a skill of the past. They won't use communication in future, they will not only DO as they are told they will also THINK as they're told as this will wipe out all resistance in the name of Health and Safety, they will receive controlled electric shocks to the brain if they think the wrong thoughts. So it'll all be about reception.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
AK4YH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 01:50:41 AM »

Never.

If I need a computer then I might as well use a more efficient digital mode. I do prefer CW because you don't need a computer! One of CW's greater asset is its simplicity. Add a computer and that goes down the drain.

Gil.
W8TBZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 09:59:41 PM »

Nope
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 11:37:09 PM »

In the future? Gmail Tap is already here .. ..
or maybe some other App ?

but - can you connect an SK ?
or - is that redundant too ?

ie: Internet CW will be nothing like the old Morse Code.
so, is it still going to be Morse Code, or will it be called some other name ?
 Sad
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:46 AM »

Gil ;  I agree! Best part of using code is the simple equipment needed...  No computer in this shack either!
          I keep it safely on the coffee table.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: