The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Code Practice Challenge  (Read 2203 times)
N3HEE

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »

How about a little discussion on making Morse code practice fun with a little bit of friendly competition thrown in.  This is not a contest by any means.  Just a way to get people on the air and add a twist and keep people interested and engaged.

Weekly or monthly Code Practice Challenge periods.

All bands/frequencies.  Not a contest so no band restrictions needed.

No time restrictions. Operate as much as you can.

Score one point for every QSO minute.  This encourages longer QSO's. 

Score two points for every QSO minute for head copy.  This encourages building proficiency.

I suppose there could be other categories based on QSO speed.  Let's keep it simple though.

Work as many dupes as you like.  For example arrange some skeds.

Report and track your progress via web based leader board.  This is where the challenge comes in.

Weekly/monthly rankings, certificates, etc.

Best fist award.

Ok, you get the idea. 

Begin conversation.........

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
DU7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:57:04 AM »

I wish there was someone I could work with a comfortably strong signal. Nobody here to practice with.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »

Wish I was closer to you Chuck, maybe some day! But meanwhile, I am HOPING and TRYING to get an X-beam up directed North on 30m, and that it will work well enough to be a decent signal, and that noise level is not too high. I dare not be optimistic and then disappointed. Meanwhile, if you can put up a wire X beam facing South :-) it's not hard to make, mine will only be 5m up. But if with wire you need 5 supports. and a space about 10m X 12 m or so.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
VA7ADI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »

Great idea.It would be nice to have a weekly "contest" like event, where you can practice code. I finished CWOPS level II few months ago and it gave me a different perspective about CW and head copy. I would have liked to practice more on rag chewing or even just longer QSO but not too many people out there willing to do it. I am only at 20 wpm with head copy (if the code is sent reasonably well) but definitely I want to improve. If you gentlemen come up with something and someone is willing to take the initiative to do it, let us know. There might be more people than we think that would like to join this project.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »

I wish there was someone I could work with a comfortably strong signal. Nobody here to practice with.

- - Likewise - - a similar situation also exists at this QTH .. .
& yes - I've actually telephoned everyone, that's still Licensed & is within 40Km of my QTH ..

I'm working some JAs on occasions, but their speed can be higher than my ability.

PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 05:19:21 AM »

When you mail me a mp3 file with your morse code, I replay you the same way the same speed. Mailaddress at QRZ.com is valid.

Wim  73=30

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »

Good idea. Also Telegram is a good way to practice QSO with QSA5, can send audio message with CW in it.

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »

My streaming CW station:  w3ttt.listen2myradio.com
thanks for listening!
Joe W3TTT
DU7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »

Wish I was closer to you Chuck, maybe some day! But meanwhile, I am HOPING and TRYING to get an X-beam up directed North on 30m, and that it will work well enough to be a decent signal, and that noise level is not too high. I dare not be optimistic and then disappointed. Meanwhile, if you can put up a wire X beam facing South :-) it's not hard to make, mine will only be 5m up. But if with wire you need 5 supports. and a space about 10m X 12 m or so.

Me too Lou. I really learned a lot from the nets you called but it got so it became so frustrating because of the difficulty. Hard enough for me to decode clear strong sigs( Sad ) and although the swing but nice to listen to, it also added a bit of difficulty but the QSB made it so hard for the skills i had that I just threw in the towel. I'm still on the computer apps though.

BTW, have you heard of CW.com?
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 04:02:13 AM »

Yes but CW.com is annoying because there are some real idiots on there and you cannot block anyone from causing QRM.
Please make good use of LCWO.net there really is everything there you will need, but if you have apps that are helping too that's great. I have keyer so I can send you perfect CW and maybe the signal will be OK, if not, before long!

OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 04:17:09 AM »

cw.com???
If I enter that into my browser I am redirected to vodafone...
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 04:52:48 AM »

Oh that would have been Cable & Wireless I guess... well not, CWCOM not .com I guess, it's a software program, and you can communicate through the internet a bit like chat rooms but in CW, not easy to connect a key to computer, most people using the space bar or mouse, awful CW, not good for practice IMHO. But when I tested it I had a remarkable coincidence happen, which made me a local ham friend! I called CQ and got an answer from a VK5, and I did not believe it, because of all the places in the world, how could it be a local from the same city and not far from me? But it was, and we have met and had QSOs. But it surely has its uses but I think not for practicing CW! The best way to do that is on air, as soon as the code has been learned.

DU7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »

Yes but CW.com is annoying because there are some real idiots on there and you cannot block anyone from causing QRM.
Please make good use of LCWO.net there really is everything there you will need, but if you have apps that are helping too that's great. I have keyer so I can send you perfect CW and maybe the signal will be OK, if not, before long!

I'm using 3 resources at the moment. JLMC, G4FON, and of course LCWO.net.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: