The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ic 7610 or ftdx5000  (Read 15581 times)
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 12:56:48 PM »

Another thing to think about is the resale value of the 7610.

These latest TV/IPad radio designs (of not inconsiderable volatility) - the glitzy fashion of the moment - fashions fade.....style endures.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:14:21 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 01:44:45 PM »

I don't think there will be much movement in the 7610 feature set.  The radio is based around a DSP chip from I believe the 7200, so the "software" part is more like a "firmware" part.  Not knocking the design or saying it's impossible to upgrade, just saying its architecture is quite different than Anan or Flex.

73  W9OY

N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »

OY, your Flex fan boy colors are showing.

The 7610 IS indeed Firmware upgradeable. It uses two TI TMS32C6XXX-family DSP ICs. They have been using them since the 7800.
The 7200 used an ADI SHARC which was NOT user upgradeable.

I don't understand why some folks have to be so condescending to equipment they have no clue about.

To each his own......

ron
N4UE
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »

OY, your Flex fan boy colors are showing.

I don't understand why some folks have to be so condescending to equipment they have no clue about.

ron
N4UE

It is NOT hard to understand. Flex lovers like W9OY dismiss any equipment that does not have the Flexradio nameplate. It is what they do, as Flex Lovers are very insecure about the future of their beloved radios. They do all they can to minimize sales of competing SDR's. Ask W9OY how successful he was dissing and minimizing the sales of the Icom 7300 here on eHam...  Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »

If you look at when the FTDX5000 was first introduced and how well its receiver is still competitive with some of the best designs on the market that should tell you something, its not far off the mark of the Icom 7861 which smokes man radio's either DSR or superhet designs. If SSB is your thing plus CW then the 5K is one proven machine plus for most who own an amp these days the 5000 can be placed in class A on transmit if you are worried about IMD were 45db is not a bad spec on the third order mark,, heck most amps are not even that clean to begin with so WTF. The 5000 also has the VRF plus on 160 to 20 meters you can add those U tune units which is kind of like an over engineered digi select in the Icom's.
I have been asking myself these same questions and have been looking at the used market on the FTDX5K's which I have seen between $2600 to $2800, I think once this 7610 hits the streets you may be able to find a 5K for around $2k.
If you are worried that you need point and click use then the 5K has an IF output which use some excellent front end filtering and like the FTDX3000 I use a Noble Radio PAN3K pan adapter with it which is not just like one of these cheap sdr dongles, its designed for the 9Mhz output, then there is two roofing filters, one at the 9Mhz if and one at 46Mhz for the SDR receive thus the signal is very clean. I use HRD to control the point and click control with HDsdr for a huge clean pan display on a 24' monitor and I can zoom out if I like to look at all of 10 meters if I want not like the sound card type adapters. It was the best $150 I spent to make my current rig more fun to operate plus I could simply plug and play with the FTDX5000.
So I find this a very good post and not really sure if the 7610 is worth that much gelt.
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »

N4UE

How many times in the past year and a half has the 7300's DSP been majorly upgraded with new features? 

73 W9OY
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »

N4UE

How many times in the past year and a half has the 7300's DSP been majorly upgraded with new features?  

73 W9OY

One thing to keep in mind is that Icom releases ready to use products that have all basic features working.

Contrast this with the Flexradio company that has a Long History of selling unfinished Beta radios with promises that basic features will be added later, usually years later and sometimes not added at all....

The sad fact for FLex Lovers is "majorly upgrades" (waiting years to get them) are absolutely needed........ Then when finally their beloved radios has the basics, FLexradio announces new models...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:11:19 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »

N4UE

73 W9OY

Major upgrades? WHY would 'major upgrades' be needed, when a well designed product meets it's design goals OOB?
There have been 3 'minor' upgrades. The older 7600 received a substantial upgrade in the past that added a waterfall. Icon didn't have to do that, they just did it.
I was considering a 6400 until Flex pulled that BS comparison at Dayton.
You are welcome to have 16 'slices' (or whatever) open with your Flex.
Just not my 'bag'....

Enjoy

ron
N4UE
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 05:31:39 PM »

Ron. What I said is, I don't expect much in the way of upgrades for the Icom, how is that different than the reality you describe? 

73  W9OY
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 11:31:14 PM »

If you are worried that you need point and click use then.........

.........what does he need ham radio for, let alone a new rig - can point and click all day long, doesn't even need an internet connection - maybe a new mouse, maybe 2 - one for each hand & a huge big LCD screen.....or six..........  

If the worry gets a bit too much then maybe a bit of counseling......... Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:47:20 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 12:21:58 AM »

............I use a Noble Radio PAN3K pan adapter with it which is not just like one of these cheap sdr dongles, its designed for the 9Mhz output, then there is two roofing filters, one at the 9Mhz if and one at 46Mhz for the SDR receive thus the signal is very clean. I use HRD to control the point and click control with HDsdr for a huge clean pan display on a 24' monitor and I can zoom out if I like to look at all of 10 meters if I want..................

Mmmm, that'll be the ^^^^ "traditional way" then, the one your QRZ page refers to..........

"the ARRL DXCC committee has ruined this award program for many who wish to do it the traditional way."

(Contemporary hammy man traditional => a 90% computer operation - 10% radio/ham.........unconcerned/oblivious/in denial of the dilution.)

Ah well, Smiley............
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:43:17 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »

Just go for the 5000 then - it's a mature model, a plus if you are cautious about what you are getting.

.........the 5K is one proven machine...........

W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »

Yea yea that's the ticket!  Buy old obsolete technology and smugly watch its value plummet!!!  Hey sonny this is the way we real hams did it when men were men and the sheep ran scared!
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 06:23:53 AM »

Anything after spark gaps is just too mod for me.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 07:23:59 AM »

Yea yea that's the ticket!  Buy old obsolete technology and smugly watch its value plummet!!! 

Or the other ticket.......the dive-in "gotta be first" merchants buy the latest new models at premium prices & smugly watch the OEMs/dealers start the discounts, chest still puffed up whilst taking the hit on the steepest part of the depreciation curve.

That's it, you show'em......... Grin 

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: