The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PWRGate schematic equivalents?  (Read 2286 times)
VE7EA

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »

I am interested in constructing an equivalent to the UPS switch-over power gate devices such as West Mountain Radios PWRGate and KI0BK's similar device. From what I can surmise these are fairly simple mosfet-based UPS switching circuits between a 13.5VDC power supply and gel cell/lead acid batteries.

I have been searching but am unable to find a suitable circuit. Can anyone point me to some good links? I prefer to build rather than buy as I have a reasonable parts bin to get through!

TIA

Larry VE7EA
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »

I am interested in constructing an equivalent to the UPS switch-over power gate devices such as West Mountain Radios PWRGate and KI0BK's similar device. From what I can surmise these are fairly simple mosfet-based UPS switching circuits between a 13.5VDC power supply and gel cell/lead acid batteries.

I have been searching but am unable to find a suitable circuit. Can anyone point me to some good links? I prefer to build rather than buy as I have a reasonable parts bin to get through!

The West Mountain Radio PWRGate is just two 80A 20V Schottky diodes. An example through-hole part would be Vishay VS-80CPQ020. There are also stud-mount Schottky diodes with similar specs.

The KI0BK is "smarter" in that it uses power MOSFETs (Si7141's, are 60A 20V rated) that are intelligently switched on and off and would have lower forward voltage drop than just a regular Schottky diode. This type of circuit is broadly called "Ideal Diode" or "Ideal Diode MOSFET". If you look in the LTC4353 datasheet you will see a circuit that is probably not identical to the KI0BK but is the same idea - I think these outboard diode controllers are advantageous with gate voltage boosters are to make sure that the MOSFET is fully turned on even through brownouts of input voltage. http://www.linear.com/product/LTC4353
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »

Or just use a relay....
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »

Or just use a relay....

Or power everything from a battery and a charger...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: