The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low CW activity on the bands, how bad is it?  (Read 9672 times)
K2AAE

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »

After retiring I thought getting back on the air, it would be something to do, had to retake the tests since everything had expired. Currently on Technical with General and Extra test next month. After looking at the latest radios I decided to go with a SDR from a no-name, I've had Yeasu and Icom, both of which were and are great radios but I'm a computer person, have been for 55 years and can not figure out why the radio industry has the 'not invented here' blinds on. After reading and listening to my RTL-SDR I have to wonder what the FCC and ARRL was thinking 50 years ago. On all amateur CW frequencies unlicensed 1 watt CW radios should have been allowed and promoted into educational institutions. Now with the $5 Raspberry PI computers children can use JT65 to message across the country.
I now live in a rural area, the local elementary school has 45 students, none have any radio experience, the last 'HAM' in the area (200 mile radius) died 10 years ago, the two 'new' hams are technician class, 56 years old and one 22 year old, neither are active.

If you wonder where the traffic went visit a graveyard.

In the day and age where you can have a video face to face with anyone around the world on the internet the issue is to promote science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) with exposure to the science of radio. We need to push low cost radio technology into the classroom just as the Raspberry PI foundation pushed low cost computing into the classroom, which grew the tech industry in the U.K 32% faster than other industries. We need the FCC to allow children to use some bandwidth to learn without requiring a license, we need to start thinking about the future. There is no doubt that if learning how to communicate on a 1 watt radio was a requirement the week after there would be vendors with SoCs containing a radio just as there is SoCs now for cellular phones.
And yet there are questions about biasing the grid in the FCC test and nothing about how a Si5351 compares to a Si570....

As far as pirate operators and unlicensed operators, put a bounty on them like was/is used for fax spammers. Clubs to go POUO hunting to pay for their repeaters!

73 K2AAE     
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »

A great post and valid question, and why the ARRL has not been advocating for this? Welcome to the forum hope to read more from you!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 05:55:02 AM »

Well yes, I do not think there is a ham that does not know that, least of all CW ops. Contests are in exponential growth. This is what it looks like, and this video is from an SKCC member, who states that he loves CW pile ups. Like I suspected, the joy for many is creating a huge pile up, from the sense of power and control it gives!

In a typical 5NN-TU activity... and yet, I do not see any CW key in use at all. Everyone sitting around doing nothing, and one guy pushing buttons now and then on a keyboard. So what I'm not talking about it this exponential robot stuff, but real QSO.

https://youtu.be/RrtNQT9jb6c

Well I take this observation back! Clearly this is not only a good contester but also a great "rag chewer" I heard UFB QSO in QRQ CW with USA. Sure, contesting is not for everyone the modern way as shown in this video, but the contest committees haven't said computers can't be used in contests. Seems boring to me, but each to their own!

Anyway hopefully I'm forgiven and can have some nice QSO with this excellent CW operator. We need many more in South East Asia where sadly there are far too few national CW Ops active.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: