The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friedrichshafen 2017  (Read 2797 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »

As with previous years, this report on Friedrichshafen 2017 is submitted in order to redress the balance and help prove that not all ham radio events take place in the USA. This years event took place between July 14th and July 16th at the usual location of Messe Friedrichshafen. Some things such as the faultless organization, the spotless toilets and the ample parking do not need mentioning because this is what happens every year, the Germans are good at this sort of thing. The weather on the Thursday and Friday was poor with a mixture of heavy thunderstorms and torrential rain, despite this the car parks and the camping ground had no problems because the surface was well drained gravel. Ten minutes after a downpour the puddles of water had gone.

Some things were different. Many of the booths and stands in Hall A1 were moved around and although Icom and Yaesu were in their usual spots Kenwood were relocated to the opposite side of the hall, and their stand was MUCH smaller. All of the European societies seemed to be represented and the ARRL were also in attendance. Friedrichshafen is a truly international event and in my usual walk around the camp ground on Thursday evening I saw visitors from Portugal in the west to Ukraine in the east, Sweden and Norway in the north to Greece in the south. All of these nations plus many others were made welcome.

The major difference in organization is that our 'guests', the Maker Fair, have moved. They used to be in Hall A5 at the far end and, to be honest, it seemed as if they were a separate entity. Now they occupied Hall B1 and this had three consequences. The fair was a lot larger, it was far better than previous years, and they were able to play more of a part in the weekend's events. We shared the outside catering area and the common main entrance, which meant that ham radio almost certainly got more exposure. This is of course a good thing.

The Flea Market was the usual size, all of one hall and about 80% of another. The far end of one hall was partitioned off and, I think, used as storage by a test equipment retailer who conducted an auction on the Friday and Saturday. Some of the prices at the flea market were a little bit crazy and I don't think that retailers have heard of depreciation. I'm not going to pay six hundred or seven hundred Euro for a twenty or thirty year old rig that I can't test and can't get the parts for, yet some of them were asking prices like that. Instead I bought lots of components and stuff which, to some, might be junk, but to me is a useful source of parts. Haggling resulted in a Fluke frequency counter that works FB and a Wavetek signal generator that needs some work.

I have news for those of you who frequent the 'Amplifiers' section on EHam. LDMOS HF amplifiers are here, they're available, they're working, and the days of the tube are numbered. I saw at least six different manufacturers with LDMOS based products and I am sure that more are coming.

Highlights of the weekend? The young girl who was walking around the flea market with her grandfather, she saw a wind-up gramophone for the first time and it had to be explained to her how the sound came out. The look on her face as the needle dropped into the groove was priceless. There was also the noughts and crosses machine at the Maker Fair which was wired up using relays rather than an Arduino and the countless old friends who I managed to meet throughout the weekend. One more thing, the Maker Fair included a 'Fantasy' area which was something of an eye-opening experience. There are strange things there, I'm telling you, women with horns, guys with big swords who look like they know how to use them, it's amazing what some folk will do for fun! Don't believe me? Go look up 'cosplay' on a non-work machine and then report back.

Finally, as I typed the first draft of this report on the Saturday night a Zeppelin airship passed over the campsite at low level. Wave? I was close enough to see the stubble on the pilot's chin.

Camping & Parking Fee 60 Euro for 4 nights

Messe Parking 5 Euro per day

Entrance 11 Euro for one day or 23 Euro for the three days

Friedrichshafen 2018 will take place from June 1st to June 3rd (Yes, JUNE)

DL8OV
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »

Thanks for the nice report. Since I moved to the USA, I haven't been able to attend but we always enjoyed it as a nice family event when we were there. Maybe the early date next year will work with my travel schedule.

Any news on the Icom 7610?

mfG

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »

There were two on the Icom stand and a big crowd around each of them. They looked good (on the outside anyway). I Normally go here for my Icom stuff http://www.ab4oj.com/icom

DL8OV
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:17:02 AM »

Thanks for the report!

What were the temperatures, inside and outside?   
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »

Inside all of the halls at Friedrichshafen are air conditioned and you can walk around in shirt sleeves in comfort, I reckon that it would have been about 22C or maybe 23C? On the Sunday they even closed the blinds on the windows to keep the temperature down.

It's difficult to give a report on the outside temperature because the weather varied so much over the four days. Certainly on the rainy Thursday and Friday it was cool but by Sunday when I sat down for lunch I had to sit in the shade because it was so hot in the sunshine. Throughout the four days I had no problems sleeping in a tent and I didn't even have a sleeping bag.

Peter DL8OV
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »

Thanks Peter!   

Another question.   Is it the same weekend each year?   I vaguely remember seeing dates in the past of the 3rd or 4th weekend in June.   

Is the hamfest a set weekend or does it vary? 

DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »

Well, thereby hangs a tale.........................

For years, well over a decade, the Friedrichshafen shows was always held on the last weekend of June. It was dependable, it made it easy for people to book vacation time and hotel rooms well in advance. This year because of a schedule clash with another event at Friedrichshafen HAMRADIO was held 14th-16th of July, two weeks later than normal. Now, for HAMRADIO 2018 the dates are moved again to June 1st to June 3rd.

I wonder why they can't hold two large events at the same time? The place is big enough and it would be easy to segregate the two events and have one entering through the east entrance and one entering through the west.

Oh well. Mark your calendars, first weekend in June.

Peter DL8OV
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »

And it was impossible for DARC to keep the second weekend of july in 2018 because it's the weekend of WRTC. But they should have known that already last year when they chose this year's date.

Moreover first weekend of june is the region 1 CW fieldday. A lot of european hams will have to choose next year, run the fieldday or attend the Friedrichshafen Messe?

Mostly (low power) rtty contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »

"Moreover first weekend of June is the region 1 CW fieldday"

Ooops!!

Peter DL8OV
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »

And it was impossible for DARC to keep the second weekend of july in 2018 because it's the weekend of WRTC. But they should have known that already last year when they chose this year's date.

Moreover first weekend of june is the region 1 CW fieldday. A lot of european hams will have to choose next year, run the fieldday or attend the Friedrichshafen Messe?

Wasn't IARU the 8th and 9th of July?  Second weekend of July.   Wasn't this year's Friedrichshafen the 3rd weekend in July?
First weekend in June is Region 1 FD.
Third Sunday in June is American Father's Day.   
Last weekend in June is North American Field Day.   
First weekend in July is America's Independence weekend.

Traditionally in America the 3rd weekend in June are many secondary (we call it High School) graduation parties. 

Tough to find a weekend that would work for everyone.   

ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 11:36:21 PM »

Wasn't IARU the 8th and 9th of July?  Second weekend of July.   Wasn't this year's Friedrichshafen the 3rd weekend in July?
First weekend in June is Region 1 FD.
Third Sunday in June is American Father's Day.   
Last weekend in June is North American Field Day.   
First weekend in July is America's Independence weekend.

Traditionally in America the 3rd weekend in June are many secondary (we call it High School) graduation parties. 

Tough to find a weekend that would work for everyone.   

Friedrichshafen this year was July 14-16, IARU 8-9. Next year WRTC/IARU will be 14-15.

The number of visitors at Friedrichshafen is decreasing every year, changing dates 2 years in a row will hurt it again in my opinion.

I'll see if I can manage to go for the 25th year in a row next year...

Mostly (low power) rtty contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: