The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acom 1000 Fault Codes  (Read 1670 times)
N4OX

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:14:53 AM »

I installed a supposedly good tube yesterday and now fault code SB28 is displayed. Does anyone know what this code indicates? I found a webpage that interprets fault codes for the Acom 1000, but I could not get it to work. Jay N4OX
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »

Where did you buy the amplifier from? Call them. Send a E-Mail to ACOM.
N4OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »

A buddy loaned me the amp. I see you have not called or emailed Acom recently. Great amps.....customer/technical info.....not so great. No answer to two previous emails about when the A2100 may be type accepted and another question about the Acom 1000. No return call to two voicemail messages. I check the internet first and then call the dealer or manufacturer. When that doesn't work, I try other means.
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »

It is a temperature protection code during standby operation.

http://www.gmdx.org.uk/page-1671106

Also, this is in the manual, which should be easy to find on the internet.  I have no personal experience with this amp.

I would verify that the fan is actually running during standby.  I would also recommend joining the Yahoo group for more insight:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/acom-list/info
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:41:17 AM by N4RSS » Logged
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »

If I loaned my ACOM 1000 to a buddy i would be pissed if he shoved in a different tube.  If the amp came from Array Solutions of DX Engineering, they will answer any question you have.  If it came from HRO, it would depend upon which high school student you got on the phone.  Mine came from DX and they gave me a wealth of information.  I did ask ACOM (in May) when the 2100 would be available in the USA and they said 'whenever the FCC gets around to approving it'. 
Art
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »

Ahhhh yes.  Technology....amp with a 1,000 fault codes which even if you know what the code means...can you fix it or does it have to go back of Acom?

Cars?  Ahhhhh yes.  Plug a computer in to the socket and it tells the tech what is wrong with your car....and if he doesn't know what to do he just queries the factory via a satellite linkup.  All at a $100 bucks and hour.....plus parts.

Advice to all amp and car buyers:  Keep the ())*&^#@ box!

I know we have to have advancement in technology.....but we're hobbiests and are choking ourselves to death with it.

The government is back of the auto "technology" demand....the ham gear has become idiot proof, which is self explained.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:57:25 AM by K8AXW » Logged
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »

Ahhhh yes.  Technology....amp with a 1,000 fault codes which even if you know what the code means...can you fix it or does it have to go back of Acom?

Cars?  Ahhhhh yes.  Plug a computer in to the socket and it tells the tech what is wrong with your car....and if he doesn't know what to do he just queries the factory via a satellite linkup.  All at a $100 bucks and hour.....plus parts.

Advice to all amp and car buyers:  Keep the ())*&^#@ box!

I know we have to have advancement in technology.....but we're hobbiests and are choking ourselves to death with it.

The government is back of the auto "technology" demand....the ham gear has become idiot proof, which is self explained.

So how long do you have to crank your Model A Ford to get it going in the morning?  Or do you walk everywhere? 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N4OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »

N9AOP.......he loaned it to me knowing that the tube was getting soft. I installed the supposed NOS tube as partial payment for the loan of the amp. If the tube is not good, I will buy a new tube from Array Solutions. Would you still be pissed off getting a new tube? The codes are not listed in the manual. Thank you N4RSS. I will check the fan. I found the gmdx webpage, but for some reason, I could not get the spreadsheet to work.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »

N9AOP.......he loaned it to me knowing that the tube was getting soft. I installed the supposed NOS tube as partial payment for the loan of the amp. If the tube is not good, I will buy a new tube from Array Solutions. Would you still be pissed off getting a new tube? The codes are not listed in the manual. Thank you N4RSS. I will check the fan. I found the gmdx webpage, but for some reason, I could not get the spreadsheet to work.

For spreadsheet to show information, you need to enable macros. Also try it on latest "offline" version of MS Excel.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »

Just a thought.... does the old tube still work?  Your  new NOS tube might have a problem. Is there a new tube bias setting that has to be completed with the installation of a new tube?

When in doubt give Jay a call at Array Solutions, there in Texas.
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »

See page 18 and 19 of the manual:

https://www.wimo.com/download/acom1000-operation-manual.pdf
SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 02:08:15 AM »

Replacing the tube means you have to move the temp sensor out of the way. Are you sure the wires are not broken and still connected? Other than that, I assume you do have the fan woiking?

As for tech support, I can only refere to my own experiencee, Excellent! I have contacted Acom a few times and get personal service far far beyond what I would expect.
I used acom@acom-bg.com, and often get reply within hours.

We have summer vaccations here in EU which may be one reason, other is Friedrichshafen, which is THE ham fair over here.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 05:16:41 AM »

Never loan anything to another ham. They'll break it. Pinheads abound.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »

KC4ZGP is generally correct.  Loaning your expensive equipment to a fellow ham in the hopes that they will fix it and not make it worse is a crap shoot.  Sending it to an approved shop is costly but the results are worth it.  If a fellow ham uses a 'golden screwdriver' on the equipment the repair  will definitely be high.  This is not to diss the original poster who may be quite qualified and just got a bad tube.  Back in the day you could get parts to repair a Henry amp at the hardware store but things are not like that anymore. 
Art
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »

My Model-T starts with the first crank! 

ZGP is not "generally" correct.....he's 100% correct.

I have one hard and fast rule:  Never loan test or radio gear to anyone, nor do I borrow any test or radio gear!

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: