The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlas ESR70 capacitance /esr meter  (Read 288 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »

I'm considering buying one of these after reading reviews on YouTube and Amazon. It computes quite fast,and it's great having both esr and capacitance values. The only drawback is it doesn't read below 1uf. That's not a problem for me cause I'd be using it for checking electrolytics in old transistor radios. Being able to test them in circuit is of course quite a timesaving advantage, especially with brittle old circuit boards I don't want to damage. Anyone have any experience with this? They're a little pricey, but hopefully worth it.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:06:18 PM »

Hi. I have the ESR60, which is the previous model. It's a great little device. It has the 4 lead Kelvin leads, also.
One thing is, the ESR60 takes a 'unique' 12V battery. Available on line but not at the local Wal Mart. I made a remote 'start' switch for it and never use the one on the device. It will self discharge SMALL caps, but watch out measuring large values, which can have a healthy charge, long after powering down.
I put a P-Touch label on mine reminding me to "discharge all caps".

To test below 1uf, I use a Leader LCR bridge which is traceable to NIST.
However, there are a bunch of low cost cap meters on eBay. I have several of the hand-held jobbies.
Gotta love the 'knock-off' names, like Fruke (for Fluke).
When measuring small value caps, watch out for test lead capacity. I just got done measuring some .01 uf caps and the tester is the size of an old flip phone. These are for Value alone, not ESR.

hope this helps

ron
N4UE
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »

You can get a Fluke 113 for less money and it checks cap to 10,000mfd and down to .01
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »

Thanks for the info. The test leads on the 70 can be shortened by disconnecting them,and they can be used as probes instead of banana plugs. Very handy. Looks like it uses a garage door type battery.
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 01:08:49 AM »

I too have a Peak ESR meter. They are very good, but expensive. I've not really found any faulty caps with it, except one which was bulging and obviously in need of changing.

73 Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: