The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TENTEC Century 21  (Read 2375 times)
WB4VFN

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »

DE WB4VFN  Rich

Don't know if I would call it a boat anchor but I don't know where to put this.  Just got the Century 21 and the problem is the tuning knob does not turn the tuner.  Somewhere in the little plastic gears it is stuck.  I have sprayed it good with WD40 with no results.   Wonder if anyone can offer some advice.  I'd like to get the old thing on the air.  When I retired I got into county hunting and took 7 years to work all counties on CW only.  Anyhow any help appreciated.
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »

Richard:
If you do some on-line research for "Ten Tec PTO rebuild" you will find a world of information.
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »

I have rebuilt PTO's three times with Century 21's. The grease in the PTO turns to glue. Don't force it or the plastic gears behind the front panel will crack. Don't ask how I know, lol.

This is probably the most common problem with this rig. I will take the good part of a Sunday afternoon to do this the first time. It takes a lot of disassembly. The front panel has to come off. I have a thread about this and nearly every other Century 21 malady over on qrz.com

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ten-tec-century-21-restoration.522748/
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »

... and be cautious about spraying WD-40 on plastic parts.  Some plastics will absorb WD-40, swell, split, and make you wish you hadn't done that.  Don't ask how I know.    Tongue

WD-40 is intended as a water displacement spray (hence the WD) and temporary penetrant.  A good quality light machine oil it ain't.  For plastic drive assemblies and such I like denatured alcohol as a cleaner followed by a light coating of silicone grease as a lubricant.  Chances are there are better choices but I've had good luck with that combo.  YMMV.

Brave Helios, wake up your steeds.  Bring the warmth the countryside needs...    
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:09:43 AM »

CLP gun cleaner works wonders on frozen parts due to dried grease.  Ten Tec used to sell a PTO repair kit.  Not sure if that is still available ? 

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:04:41 AM »

As a first step, take the knob off and check the set on the push nut. Use a socket driver or hollow screw driver handle to push the nut in towards the gear system. This provides drive to the rest of the assembly. Obviously pay attention to the warnings about damaging the gear system.
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: