The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coax For Receive-Only  (Read 6497 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 04:33:08 AM »

Another vote for RG-6,  but good quality stuff!  Also a vote for Thomas and Betts F connectors.  They require a special tool for installation, but they are far better than the CATV stuff sold in retail stores.

Pete
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 04:39:52 AM »

Also a vote for Thomas and Betts F connectors.  They require a special tool for installation, but they are far better than the CATV stuff sold in retail stores.

Pete

+1...money well spent.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 11:14:15 PM »

Now see ... I went the opposite route. I live in the Bronx of NYC. Radio is all over the place. If you are in the city, your are near some transmitter. Always.

I live on the ninth floor of a 24 story co-op. I had to run coaxial through conduit to the roof. I was only allowed by the building to run one coax cable and two control cables. So I ended up going with Times Microwave LMR-1700. Crazy right! Not so.

The money was well spent. On most bands my losses are down near well matched open-wire line. Well below 1 db, a little over 1.6db on 70cm. On HF it's almost as if I have 1' of coax instead of over 250'. UHF is the only band where I wanted to use an antenna pre-amp, and it's only 6db in gain. (I also used one of those cheap china made do-dads). I also run QRO up to UHF many times (only when it's needed) so I needed the power handling.

However, I recognize this kind of expense was only justified from my specific application and not something most Hams would do. However, the losses on receive at VHF/UHF should never be taken lightly ... they can be significant and make the difference between hearing just noise or picking out the really weak signals.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:24:36 PM by W2WDX » Logged

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »

Sure RG-6 seems good if you're listening to VHF FM otherwise I find it utterly useless for moderate to serious VHF weak signal work. There's also the impedance mismatch.
As far as the EBay the Chineese LNA's are junk if not properly filtered as I believe most if not all are not filtered.
While on the subject cross-polarization of antennas results in >20db performance hit.
Bill AA2UK
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

RG-6 or ladder line.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »

Here here, Bill. Filtering that LNA was a no-brainer once I saw it. It's noise spec and gain was spot on though. I just wanted the cheap amplifier board pre-assembled. A filter I could build, SMT components not so much for this OM.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: