Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Nets....Yay or Nay....  (Read 3353 times)
WA4HBK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 09:19:13 AM »

It is easy to overlook the fact that DX nets can be beneficial to the DX station as well. I have been fortunate to operate some prefixs that might be considered at least hard to get (XT2, J5, T5) with limited antenna and power. DX nets can bring some order out of chaos and allow low power stateside stations to get in on the action. I used the old "butterfly net" for many of my stateside contacts. Other times I would just come up on the air and work em as I could hear them. Pile ups can be a pain on both sides of the QSO at times.

73's
Ed
WA4HBK

Ex KG4HC, TU4EC, TU5BA
J5TUBA, TU4EC/T5, XT2CH
If anyone worked me and needs a card let me know I still have my logs.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 05:42:25 AM »

Nay, Nay, Nay!  Methinks, "If you cant take the heat, stay out of the Kitchen".  Yes, working the pileups takes some effort, but that's what DXing is all about, is it not? A "59 and QSL" after 30 min. of calling to a rare DX station is a sweet, soothing sound to my ears.
DX Nets??  Kinda like everything else seems to be these days. Getting something without putting forth any effort. This seems to be the attitude of many folks these days, sort of "YOU have one, so I should have one TOO, and you better give it to me, RIGHT NOW!"
Admittily, I check the clusters from time to time, usually on my house computer, before going to the shack, just to get an idea of whats going on, but I have found, and most agree, you find most DX by working a little for it, and learning how the DX works.
DX Nets?  I say NAY NAY NAY.  They should not be allowed or used.  WORK for your DX guys, WORK for it!
Just my 2C worth.  Gene
KE5OKQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »

Big gun mega stations lecturing little pistols about "cheating" using a cluster?
WA4HBK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »

When I was active DX (XT2CH, TU5BA, TU4EC/T5) there were few, if any, DX clusters available. I only ran 100 watts into a dipole so regardless of the signal reports I was getting I know it would have been rough copy. So I utilized several DX nets, notably 14.226.5 and 14.247 for the stateside hams. I also used the net on 14.184 out of the UK for the European stations. This enabled more stations to work me in the time I had available each day. I have never applied for any awards, but I am certain that many of the stations I worked were modest stations and the only way they are going to be heard is by way of a net.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 01:14:29 AM »

I'm seen to remember w6BullFrog running a net around 14.160?

My DXCC certificate, and the upgrades to add countries past 100 never asked if any were net Qs, barefoot, long path, QRP etc.

So, I look at an award as a personal accomplishment.

If you want to get DX from a net, then YAY for you.
If you don't want to get DX in a net, or via a list taker, then NAY for you.

After all, one can always go ahead and work as much DX as you want to in pile-ups even if you have worked DX from a net or list.

Either way, forgetabout somebody else worrying about how you work DX.

Bob
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 05:01:30 AM »

Nay...Nay...Nay

No different than shooting fish in a barrel.
Anyone can work a station that is using a glorified Net Control to limit the pile-up to the next person on the list.

I have never checked into a Dx nat, and sure as H#@&
Never will.
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:59 AM »

Vince, I worked over 40 entities as a novice.  You certainly aren't limited badly as a general.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 11:48:56 AM »

Cant believe we drug this one out again.......  I posted earlier and have NOT changed my opinion or my mind. NO, NO, NO and NO.  I have 246 worked now, with 233 confirmed. None of which were gathered from a DX net. Never have, and never will, work a DX net. (NOPE, not even for Mellish Reef! hi hi)  If I posted what I REALLY think about DX Nets, it would get deleted. 73, Gene AF3Y
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »

"No different than shooting fish in a barrel. "

Don't forget the guy who keeps you from getting into the line up to the barrel until you can shout your "last two" to him over a crowd.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

I heard a rumor that shootin fish in or out of a barrel isn't as easy as claimed.

I've never had access to it, thus have never tried it, but I think most people mean as easy as fishin with dynamite.

I've always enjoyed hunting DX; bagin it is FUN also.

Goin from voice repeaters, to DX clusters, and then to internet spotting has taken away a lot of the art of hunting.

I don't see much difference between using internet spotting and finding DX in nets; working DX in a pile-up however is still more FUN for me that working the list taker.  But, I've had a tower, tribander, and amp for a few years now.

Still, the main idea is to have FUN playin radio.

Bob
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »

I used nets my first few months on the air, when I had an insanely crappy signal and honestly didn't know any better. After listening to some lid net controllers on 15m blather on and on, endlessly, while propagation to FW faded to nothing, I vowed never again. Never looked back, never will. It took me 6 more years to hear another FW, too.

Yes, it's legal to do and (sadly) it's accepted for DXCC credit as well, but that doesn't make it good operating practice. Also, any DXer who uses Logger32 software had better not use nets, or you'll be in violation of the terms and conditions of the Logger32 license! Actually, no, that's a mis-statement. A *real* DXer would never use a net!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »

Obvious that net ops aren't represented here because none of the posts begin with "Please copy."

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »

Real DXers use paper logs, A1, and don't use no stinkin transceivers.
73 OT
Bob
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »

Suppose you're greeted tomorrow morning by an email message from Bill Moore at the ARRL's DXCC desk announcing that he has received documents proving to his satisfaction that 7O1DX has permission to operate from Yemen.

Further suppose that you subsequently receive a second email message -- this one from your favorite DX Bulletin stating that 7O1DX is a relatively new ham who's decided to operate only on the Arabian Nights DX net. He'll be using a communications center with Yagi antennas and QRO on 40m and up. The bulletin goes on to say that 7O1DX was able to obtain his license because he and the Yemen's current ruler were college room-mates; no other Yemeni licenses are expected to be granted in the forseable future, and 7O1DX has no plans to return after this trip.

Among those of you who have never worked Yemen, who wouldn't attempt work 7O1DX on the Arabian Nights DX net?

Dave, AA6YQ
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 05:30:11 AM »

I'll throw out the first "I wouldn't".

I chase dx for my own satisfaction, not to get an award for the wall.

I like turning the dial and listening. You never know who you'll hear next.

I like being able to make a contact using wire I put up in the air.

I like recieving cards in the mail. My wife likes looking at the different stamps.

I don't like dx nets, or dx clusters, I think they would take the fun out of it for me. If I need your help to complete a contact,via a net or cluster, I choose not to make it.

And while I haven't had a qso with every entity, I do have over 200. I missed a bunch due to an off air break from '95-'06, but I'll either get them next time or not. It's not the end of my world if I don't.

To each their own. I'll have fun my way, you have fun your way. As long as we all have fun.

73, Tom
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: