The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Wire Termination and Grounding At Service Entrance?  (Read 876 times)
NOCARRIER

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:48 AM »

Hello Team HAM,

I'd like to re-purpose existing (and unused) cable service coax that conveniently surfaces from the ground near my house's mains entrance and ground electrode and routes across my house and through the bulkhead into a wall plate inside.  The plan is to run a long wire down to a 9:1 unun, grounded to the electrode, and into that 75 ohm cable, whose shield is currently grounded to that electrode, and into my SWL spot inside the house.  The electrical cables (and, in fact, all cables) are buried, so my big question is:

Is it dangerous to have the long wire meet the unun and coax all at that convenient house ground electrode?  There aren't any exposed transmission lines, just conduit coming from the ground to the electrical box.  Also, the old cable installation is right there, so it seems electrically safe.

The conventional wisdom of keeping antenna wire away from power lines breaks down here, so I would appreciate sage advice.

KD9BMX
KA9UCN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:28:58 PM »

Yes, That would be the best way to go. Connect 1 side of the 9 to1 to the coax shield. This will provide a DC ground for the long wire.
Joe KA9UCN
NOCARRIER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:38:12 AM »

Thanks for the reply, but to be clear, do you see any danger in this arrangement?  There are no transmission lines in the open, but the ground rod is less than a foot away from where they exit the soil and run to the electrical box. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: