The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Amateur Radio Parity Act reintroducd to the Senate Take 2  (Read 31438 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »

The Feds can take legal action if they want to push the issue.
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2017, 01:14:57 PM »

Hi Russ,

Keep in mind: federal law in a subject supersedes state law or local ordinance.

Frank
K4FMH

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my support for ARPA. It's just to watered down and seems to complicate things for Hams, not deal with HOA/CC&R restrictions in a way that gives clear direction to those affected by it...

Russ
KN6SD

I should state I'm really on the fence about ARPA (the current version), it may work for some hams.. But I really liked HR 1301, it was clear and concise, no mud to travel through  Wink  I'm still a supporter of ARPA, but I'm a shaky one at best...

Maybe it's the best law we will get at the Federal level??? Some States may pass better language than the Federal law, just a thought...

As all of you can tell, I am NOT a fan of the whole HOA mess. A lot of local governments love HOA's because it gets them off the hook for a lot of Neighborhood issues. Which means Homeowners are paying two different entities for services.

Russ

Very true... However, doesn't ARPA act as a framework for the FCC preemption? One concern brought up by many on the forum is the "Notification" clause, it states the Ham has to notify the HOA prior to installing an antenna, but gives no response timeline for the HOA. I would assume the FCC will address Notification/Response timelines in the final Preemptive Order. The law doesn't say they (FCC) can set an HOA response timeline, but it doesn't say they can't. 

Just a thought...

Russ
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »

Hi Russ,

No, I have not. I liked the previous language. Like your comments above, clean and to the point. The League and the HOA lobby group, CAI, mutually agreed to the current Bill's language. But the League didn't get any input from other hams, it seems. As I stated earlier in the thread, Wicker's office tells me that Sen Nelson has a hold on the Bill moving to a hearing because the CAI wants even more concessions! Thus, if I were to subject a cleaned up text, it would still be a hold by Nelson.

I do not know if Irma's wrath will make a dent in the HOA lobby group or not. Usatoday had a nice piece about n ham radio operators in FL providing emcomm. But, imho, until FL hams ---some 41,500 licensed --- start pounding Sen Nelson's office, nothing will happen. I just don't know why the League has not mobilized that group....instead just calling for a firehouse drill of everyone call all members of Congress. But, with the Cone of Silence policy now in place, we just don't know what's happening. I heard a ragchew last month on 75 Meters where one member advocated the Baseball approach. They have both an American (Radio) League and a National (Radio) League!

As the person who got the first version ARPA submitted by my Senator (Wicker) in the Senate, I've had a keen interest in this effort. The second version was a surprise to me as Senator Wicker's office thought the League had vetted the changes with me and many other hams. That was just not so. The prior approval change as well as the lack of a requirement for HOAs to respond to hams moves things backward for me. This discussion is almost must-watch on this topic: https://www.hamradionow.tv/episodes/2017/8/12/hrn-342-it-aint-parity-until-we-say-its-parity.

I called Sen Wicker's office a couple of weeks ago to check on the status of S.1534. Sen Nelson (FL) actually wants even MORE concessions to not block the Bill from getting into the docket for a formal hearing. Senate rules are such that a Sub-Committee member can block a hearing. However, once a bill gets on the docket for a hearing, it's a straight vote. The Chair of the Sub-Committee (Wicker in this case) has a greater level of influence on the bill at this point. Right now, Sen Nelson has a hold on S.1534. When the staff member in Sen Wicker's office asked me if I still supported the revised bill's language, I had to say absolutely no. Since I am the Senator's constituent, not the ARRL (Blumenthal is their Senator), this will reduce Sen Wicker's interest in pushing the bill he co-sponsored further.

It's a shame that the League has had Chris Imlay (their attorney) and Mike Lisenco (Hudson Div Director) handle these negotiations without any support or "wise counsel" from experts like Fred Hopengarten K1VR. Liscenco had called me up last year to tell me not to contact my Senator any longer on the matter, he could do that. If you don't take that phone call too personally and just back off about 10 miles or so, it's just clear that the ARRL's way of leading is just....jacked-up. Take me as a person out of it as I just happened to live in the state where the Chair of the Sub-Committee providing oversight to the FCC is in the Senate. But to take the ham who actually got a Republican Senator to stand with the League's Democratic Senator (Blumenthal) to co-sponsor ARPA to the "wood shed" in order to exercise complete control is just ignorant as to how lobbying actually works. I guess this is how folks run for ARRL President but it doesn't get a grass roots lobbying effort across the goal line toward a signed bill. (I've been involved in both state and federal legislation building before.) This "cattle call" drive by the ARRL for all hams to write their Senator is just a waste of time. Senators on the Sub-Committee are not going to pay attention to a bill that is not going into the chute for a hearing. Just too much other political noise! Senators not on the Sub-Committee, including the larger Commerce Committee, are not going to pay much attention to a bill that has not come out of the Sub-Committee. Same reason. It makes hams think that the League is really doing something...but it's just burning out hams on useless activity.

Where is S. 1534 today? Sen Wicker's office says that it won't likely move to a hearing. Now, it won't move without his encouragement. There are only two things that can change it. One, an outpouring of contact by Florida hams only to Sen Nelson's office stating that he should concede the changes back to the first version of the bill. This lobbying effort would have to override the HOA lobby group (CAI). Probably won't happen. Two, Sen Nelson may want another bill to get a hearing that another senator has a hold on. A trade on removing a hold for a hold happens a lot in these matters. But S. 1534 is really a dead duck right now. If the League continues with this "cone of silence" procedure lead by Imlay and Liscenco, I don't see any bill on HOA relief for amateur radio operators seeing daylight. Just my opinion. 73

Frank,

Have you submitted the "Clean Up" language you'd like to see added to bill to ARRL and Senator Wicker's office??? If yes, any response???

I would like to say, "Thank you for all of your hard work on ARPA". Without you, it wouldn't be in the Senate committee...

Russ

My guess is that Nelson wants something from Wicker on another bill, and he's holding our bill hostage in an attempt to get his way...... Nothing new about that tactic in D.C., it gets used all the time...
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »

From what we've read, he wants more concessions on the part of the ARRL.  The bill is pretty flawed as it stands, although we don't know how the law will read.  PRB-1 was beneficial to HOA homeowners. I would assume the rights of individual hams who are licensed should be just as valid as someone who wants to see the Voice on satellite TV.  People can live without TV just as well as hams can without being on the air.

Pete
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »

One of the problems is that the general public is under the misconception that  ham radio ops are sloppy with tons of metal in the air with wires hanging ever which way. That is unfortunate and poor example or most decent ham stations. I am against HOA's for many reasons. Number one; if I can afford to purchase a home in a neighborhood what gives someone who is not involved with the purchase and legal use of my land the right to tell me what I can and can not do with my house and property. If the homes were attached I might understand certain restrictions but if I am paying 400,000 dollars and more for a home in a nice neighborhood, I seriously doubt that any of my neighbors would be raising barnyard animals on my street. HOA's should be renamed Gladys Kravitz neighborhoods where homeowners spend their days peaking out of windows trying to catch their neighbors in some misdeed. So much for the American dream.
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »

One of the problems is that the general public is under the misconception that  ham radio ops are sloppy with tons of metal in the air with wires hanging ever which way. That is unfortunate and poor example or most decent ham stations. I am against HOA's for many reasons. Number one; if I can afford to purchase a home in a neighborhood what gives someone who is not involved with the purchase and legal use of my land the right to tell me what I can and can not do with my house and property. If the homes were attached I might understand certain restrictions but if I am paying 400,000 dollars and more for a home in a nice neighborhood, I seriously doubt that any of my neighbors would be raising barnyard animals on my street. HOA's should be renamed Gladys Kravitz neighborhoods where homeowners spend their days peaking out of windows trying to catch their neighbors in some misdeed. So much for the American dream.

Agreed... I have communicated to the ARRL I am not over joyed with the current language, but I will bite my tongue and smile..

But I would not be opposed to some additional language concerning 55+ retirement communities. That might be Senator Nelson's big hang up, he's afraid 100ft towers will take over the Del Web landscape  Cheesy
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2017, 05:19:13 AM »

Agreed... I have communicated to the ARRL I am not over joyed with the current language, but I will bite my tongue and smile..

But I would not be opposed to some additional language concerning 55+ retirement communities. That might be Senator Nelson's big hang up, he's afraid 100ft towers will take over the Del Web landscape  Cheesy

That's a good point. Speaking personally, my wife would like to move into a retirement community. I, on the other hand would never move into such a community for many reasons, not the least of which is that I don't think it's healthy to surround yourself with only elderly people. I want to move into a new house in a decent neighborhood that is diverse in that people of all ages and races are neighbors. Problem currently is that when you find such a neighborhood today, it's in a HOA controlled area which means, no antennas. As I've stated elsewhere, I can understand that they don't want towers all over the neighborhood (not that it would come to that) but a rooftop beam and a vertical or wire antenna (if one has trees) in the back yard does not seem unreasonable to me. If anything happens to my antennas, the only one inconvenienced would be me, not any of my neighbors.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2017, 09:46:45 AM »

No, no hold due to trades (yet). It's due to the FL CAI lobbying on Sen Nelson's part, I'm told by someone who actually communicates with Nelson's staff equivalent. I actually HOPE that this situation can occur...as it *could* give us leverage to roll-back to the previous language. Not counting on it until and unless FL hams blow up Nelson's phone (which is busy with Hurricane Irma issues). Should we get to a trade agreement, I'll likely know.

Frank

Hi Russ,

No, I have not. I liked the previous language. Like your comments above, clean and to the point. The League and the HOA lobby group, CAI, mutually agreed to the current Bill's language. But the League didn't get any input from other hams, it seems. As I stated earlier in the thread, Wicker's office tells me that Sen Nelson has a hold on the Bill moving to a hearing because the CAI wants even more concessions! Thus, if I were to subject a cleaned up text, it would still be a hold by Nelson.

I do not know if Irma's wrath will make a dent in the HOA lobby group or not. Usatoday had a nice piece about n ham radio operators in FL providing emcomm. But, imho, until FL hams ---some 41,500 licensed --- start pounding Sen Nelson's office, nothing will happen. I just don't know why the League has not mobilized that group....instead just calling for a firehouse drill of everyone call all members of Congress. But, with the Cone of Silence policy now in place, we just don't know what's happening. I heard a ragchew last month on 75 Meters where one member advocated the Baseball approach. They have both an American (Radio) League and a National (Radio) League!

As the person who got the first version ARPA submitted by my Senator (Wicker) in the Senate, I've had a keen interest in this effort. The second version was a surprise to me as Senator Wicker's office thought the League had vetted the changes with me and many other hams. That was just not so. The prior approval change as well as the lack of a requirement for HOAs to respond to hams moves things backward for me. This discussion is almost must-watch on this topic: https://www.hamradionow.tv/episodes/2017/8/12/hrn-342-it-aint-parity-until-we-say-its-parity.

I called Sen Wicker's office a couple of weeks ago to check on the status of S.1534. Sen Nelson (FL) actually wants even MORE concessions to not block the Bill from getting into the docket for a formal hearing. Senate rules are such that a Sub-Committee member can block a hearing. However, once a bill gets on the docket for a hearing, it's a straight vote. The Chair of the Sub-Committee (Wicker in this case) has a greater level of influence on the bill at this point. Right now, Sen Nelson has a hold on S.1534. When the staff member in Sen Wicker's office asked me if I still supported the revised bill's language, I had to say absolutely no. Since I am the Senator's constituent, not the ARRL (Blumenthal is their Senator), this will reduce Sen Wicker's interest in pushing the bill he co-sponsored further.

It's a shame that the League has had Chris Imlay (their attorney) and Mike Lisenco (Hudson Div Director) handle these negotiations without any support or "wise counsel" from experts like Fred Hopengarten K1VR. Liscenco had called me up last year to tell me not to contact my Senator any longer on the matter, he could do that. If you don't take that phone call too personally and just back off about 10 miles or so, it's just clear that the ARRL's way of leading is just....jacked-up. Take me as a person out of it as I just happened to live in the state where the Chair of the Sub-Committee providing oversight to the FCC is in the Senate. But to take the ham who actually got a Republican Senator to stand with the League's Democratic Senator (Blumenthal) to co-sponsor ARPA to the "wood shed" in order to exercise complete control is just ignorant as to how lobbying actually works. I guess this is how folks run for ARRL President but it doesn't get a grass roots lobbying effort across the goal line toward a signed bill. (I've been involved in both state and federal legislation building before.) This "cattle call" drive by the ARRL for all hams to write their Senator is just a waste of time. Senators on the Sub-Committee are not going to pay attention to a bill that is not going into the chute for a hearing. Just too much other political noise! Senators not on the Sub-Committee, including the larger Commerce Committee, are not going to pay much attention to a bill that has not come out of the Sub-Committee. Same reason. It makes hams think that the League is really doing something...but it's just burning out hams on useless activity.

Where is S. 1534 today? Sen Wicker's office says that it won't likely move to a hearing. Now, it won't move without his encouragement. There are only two things that can change it. One, an outpouring of contact by Florida hams only to Sen Nelson's office stating that he should concede the changes back to the first version of the bill. This lobbying effort would have to override the HOA lobby group (CAI). Probably won't happen. Two, Sen Nelson may want another bill to get a hearing that another senator has a hold on. A trade on removing a hold for a hold happens a lot in these matters. But S. 1534 is really a dead duck right now. If the League continues with this "cone of silence" procedure lead by Imlay and Liscenco, I don't see any bill on HOA relief for amateur radio operators seeing daylight. Just my opinion. 73

Frank,

Have you submitted the "Clean Up" language you'd like to see added to bill to ARRL and Senator Wicker's office??? If yes, any response???

I would like to say, "Thank you for all of your hard work on ARPA". Without you, it wouldn't be in the Senate committee...

Russ

My guess is that Nelson wants something from Wicker on another bill, and he's holding our bill hostage in an attempt to get his way...... Nothing new about that tactic in D.C., it gets used all the time...
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »

No, no hold due to trades (yet). It's due to the FL CAI lobbying on Sen Nelson's part, I'm told by someone who actually communicates with Nelson's staff equivalent. I actually HOPE that this situation can occur...as it *could* give us leverage to roll-back to the previous language. Not counting on it until and unless FL hams blow up Nelson's phone (which is busy with Hurricane Irma issues). Should we get to a trade agreement, I'll likely know.

Frank

Hi Russ,

Frank,

Russ

Hopefully FL CAI will start looking a little heavy handed to Nelson's people, being as their National Headquarters negotiated with ARRL on the current language... And amateur radio did play a role in disaster recovery efforts in Nelson's State....

Just a thought..........
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:55:38 PM by KN6SD » Logged
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2017, 08:12:49 PM »

Depends how much money their lobbyists are donating to his campaign coffers. It is all about favors and who can do what for you. I doubt he cares one IOTA about hams.

Pete
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »

Russ, I share your concern about the HOA's ability to just drag out a decision...there's no provision in the current language about a requirement to respond in a timely fashion to the required Ham's notification regarding an antenna installation.

Frank

Hi Russ,

Keep in mind: federal law in a subject supersedes state law or local ordinance.

Frank
K4FMH

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my support for ARPA. It's just to watered down and seems to complicate things for Hams, not deal with HOA/CC&R restrictions in a way that gives clear direction to those affected by it...

Russ
KN6SD

I should state I'm really on the fence about ARPA (the current version), it may work for some hams.. But I really liked HR 1301, it was clear and concise, no mud to travel through  Wink  I'm still a supporter of ARPA, but I'm a shaky one at best...

Maybe it's the best law we will get at the Federal level??? Some States may pass better language than the Federal law, just a thought...

As all of you can tell, I am NOT a fan of the whole HOA mess. A lot of local governments love HOA's because it gets them off the hook for a lot of Neighborhood issues. Which means Homeowners are paying two different entities for services.

Russ

Very true... However, doesn't ARPA act as a framework for the FCC preemption? One concern brought up by many on the forum is the "Notification" clause, it states the Ham has to notify the HOA prior to installing an antenna, but gives no response timeline for the HOA. I would assume the FCC will address Notification/Response timelines in the final Preemptive Order. The law doesn't say they (FCC) can set an HOA response timeline, but it doesn't say they can't. 

Just a thought...

Russ
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »

Huh Is it just me, or hasn't this happened before? The ARRL gets close, but no cigar.. I am starting to wonder if some of the other folks on the forum are right, it's just hype to generate noise...

Or, they don't know how to work D.C. ...
In a recent interview on WGMD, Mike Urich KA5CVH (ARRL SE Harris County EC) stated there is less and less public NEED for hams during disasters (link).
Yes? So? And even if true, there is still need. I saw the need earlier in the week. Personally.
Then, the first question is:
Do the WANTS of a tiny handful of hams justify abrogating their freely-signed contracts/agreements/promises/whatever with tens of millions of their neighbors?

I see you do not support the changes in civil rights, divorce, or the flying the flag.
I see you also don't think  negotiating in good faith is not necessary.
Pity.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »

When you run out of argument, attack your opponent.

... as in "Even MORE topic drift (with even more unsupported "facts")."

Rick KK4GGL
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »

When you run out of argument, attack your opponent.

... as in "Even MORE topic drift (with even more unsupported "facts")."

It's nice to see activity in this thread but the activity is based on responding to a few so called ham ops who enjoy playing the negative to any possible argument you can make.

It's a waste of your time as it was a waste of mine. It's your decision whether to continue the back and forth with this ****** if you wish but, trust me it only leads to frustration when you say the sky is blue and they insist it's orange. It's even a bigger waste of time if the HOA situation matters to you if, as an example you are planning a move to an area where HOA properties are the only reasonable alternative. The guys who are arguing aren't moving anywhere and they have what they want. Let's call it selfish to use a nice term. Put them on ignore. Initially you'll be curious to read there response but after awhile the need will go away (like quitting smoking) and you'll feel cleaner. Trust me, I've been there. Maybe an AA group for us would be helpful. Call it Amateur anonymous. Oh and one final thought, when no one responds to them they will get board and find someone else to annoy.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »

It's nice to see activity in this thread but the activity is based on responding to a few so called ham ops who enjoy playing the negative to any possible argument you can make.

It's a waste of your time as it was a waste of mine. It's your decision whether to continue the back and forth with this ****** if you wish but, trust me it only leads to frustration when you say the sky is blue and they insist it's orange. It's even a bigger waste of time if the HOA situation matters to you if, as an example you are planning a move to an area where HOA properties are the only reasonable alternative. The guys who are arguing aren't moving anywhere and they have what they want. Let's call it selfish to use a nice term. Put them on ignore. Initially you'll be curious to read there response but after awhile the need will go away (like quitting smoking) and you'll feel cleaner. Trust me, I've been there. Maybe an AA group for us would be helpful. Call it Amateur anonymous. Oh and one final thought, when no one responds to them they will get board and find someone else to annoy.

Didn't know it was selfish to oppose a bad bill that will do more harm than good for hams. I will make a note of it. But then again, your calling others selfish could be looked at as being selfish yourself. Maybe you need to make a note of it too.

Then there is the freedom of speech thing that gets in the way. Funny how quickly people forget that when they don't like what's being said.

Also an easy remedy is to not read it if it annoys you.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: