Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling CQ DX  (Read 1919 times)
WA7NB

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »

I have been in ham radio 35 years.  My defination of DX is being called by an entity outside of the country you are in.  Is this correct?  Over the last couple of years, it seems like every time I call CQ DX, I'm getting called by more and more stations from the U.S.   What's going on?  Has the defination of DX changed?  Do we now have to specify CQ DX outside North America?

I'd like some feedback to see if everyone is experiencing this or if I am out of line.

Art WA7NB
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:09 PM »

Are you using CW?
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:57:42 AM »

You raise a very interesting point.  Which is why when I call CQ DX (which I rarely do anymore), I specifically request "CQ DX outside the lower 48 only please."  (which is how I define DX, being anything outside of the Continental U.S.). Try doing that, and see what happens.  If a state side station replies, well the only thing I can think of is with conditions being as poor as they have been, people are pretty desparate for a QSO, or the operator is just inexperienced and oblivious to the term DX. It is very aggrivating, but what I find more aggrivating is state side stations spotting other state side stations on the clusters (we have had this conversation before). Hey K3ABC, We don't care if your friend in Texas, W5XYZ, is calling CQ!!! I thought they were DX CLUSTERS, not state side clusters.    

Vince P
KA3NRX

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:14:33 AM »

I'm getting sleepy.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »

Maybe they just want someone to talk to about the DX or lack of it.

Some here think that DX clusters are the cromulent way to exchange info about band conditions and where the interesting DX might be.

Others (like me, licensed about as long as you) think that meeting other DX ops on the air, either as part of a pre-arranged net or just randomly, is preferable.

I happen to use the clusters occasionally but really do appreciate it when someone on the air can tell me what that god-awful pileup on the other end of the band is all about :-).

Tim.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »

I'm getting sleepy.

REPLY: Then maybe you should take a nap?Huh
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 06:31:36 AM »

"Over the last couple of years, it seems like every time I call CQ DX, I'm getting called by more and more stations from the U.S. What's going on? Has the defination of DX changed?"

I think I've heard you on 20m and I think I know why you're getting so many domestic callers.  Here's my guess:

It's that TH11 on a 90 foot tower and the amplifier.  It's the other good antennas on the other bands.

Big stations are partially the reason for the fun of doing ham radio with extremely restricted antennas.  They let other people actually have something other than frustration when they staple-gun a G5RV to their privacy fence 6 feet off the ground and 13 feet away from their neighbor's new plasma TV noise machine.  When you're 59+20dB on my Moxon rectangle, you're one of five stations on 20m the restricted antenna guy can work.

I people should respect the calls for "DX" and that means, on HF at least, out of the lower 48... but I can understand why some fraction of stations who can't or don't even put up a decent 20m dipole would call loud stations no matter what.  

I see reviews for small/restricted antennas for 20m that say things like "I worked England and Bermuda the Dominican Republic and more from North Carolina at the bottom of the sunspot cycle"

Makes Arizona seem like DX too :-)

I think you can set people straight with a light touch... say hi, give them a report, and let them know what you meant by DX, and tell them about how you can often work 9,000 mile distant stations this time of day, that kind of thing.  

I think there are a lot of people with miserable antenna installations who blame their thin DX log on the lack of sunspots when with a decent 20m dipole at 30' and 100W, they could make DXCC in a year.  They may have weird expectations compared to yours about what is possible right then.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 06:48:32 AM »

You’re not alone....incentive licensing.

73 de Lindy
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

Yep, VERY frustrating!

I chase DX on 60 meters where all foreign activity is pretty scarce. Only there do I call CQ DX.

I can't understand all the answers I get from nearby stations who offer no apology or excuse. I don't mind savvy guys who wait and then quickly ask for a report on a new antenna or rig. But it seems many newbies have no idea what DX means.

Some even repeatedly call when I'm obviously trying to pull out a DX answer.

One tip: always end a (phone) CQ DX by saying something like "and listening for any DX Call."

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »

"I chase DX on 60 meters where all foreign activity is pretty scarce. Only there do I call CQ DX. "

Hmm.  I wouldn't call CQ DX on 60m myself, given the limited worldwide allocation and the very limited channelized scheme...

Dan

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »

"Hmm. I wouldn't call CQ DX on 60m myself, given the limited worldwide allocation and the very limited channelized scheme..."

---

Due to minimal 60 meter activity especially during the dead summer, it is IMPERATIVE that SOMEONE calls CQ DX on 60. In fact there was created a DX activity night held on the 3rd Saturday of each month to promote DXing on that band where only simple antennas and 50 watts are allowed. There are no contests and operation is limited to USB. DXing there is VERY difficult! No one has worked more than about 75 countries.

In any given week probably fewer than 10 countries in the world are active on 60!

DX activity is mostly limited to channel 5, 5403.5 . Most transcontinental DXing is done at stateside sunset which is about sunrise in EU. A brief period.

To accommodate the channelized scheme, it is normal to keep DX contacts short and relinquish the channel afterward so others can work the DX station.

DXing on 60, despite the limits, is very popular and includes many veteran DXers and contesters like myself who have done it all on the other bands.

Big Guns who would never call CQ DX on 20 or 40 meters (partially because they've worked everything long ago) can be heard CQing on 60 to kick up a bit of activity for ALL to enjoy.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »

"To accommodate the channelized scheme, it is normal to keep DX contacts short and relinquish the channel afterward so others can work the DX station. "

Ah, FB

Dan

N4NDX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »

I think  KA3NRX is right as he mentioned  the best way I know how to avoid this problem now days is to specify that you`re calling outside the USA. And is true, when you call CQ DX now days is like if you were calling your neighbors two blocks down the road. I can`t believe it.

73 N4NDX
David
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

Just make a recording that goes on for about two minutes stating that you are checking propagation outside of the USA to Africa, The Middle East, and Oceania.  :-)

Whats even better is when a stateside op calls you and tells you you are off frequency.  :-)

It reminds me of when I was in 1 land with my beam aimed long path calling CQDX trying to snag an FT that would pop up on that frequency and at that time once in a while.  KH0AC called me and I wondered why that fellow in 0 land was calling me?!  I figured since no DX was calling I chat the the op in the midwest.  I had a nice chat with Len and quite a few more during the following years.

Bob
WZ9O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 05:57:49 AM »

Calling CQ DX    
by WA7NB

I have been in ham radio 35 years. My defination of DX is being called by an entity outside of the country you are in. Is this correct? Over the last couple of years, it seems like every time I call CQ DX, I'm getting called by more and more stations from the U.S. What's going on? Has the defination of DX changed? Do we now have to specify CQ DX outside North America?

by W7ETA

Whats even better is when a stateside op calls you and tells you you are off frequency. :-)

The answer is …because they just CBer’s with a ham license.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: