Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling CQ DX  (Read 1888 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »

"Just make a recording that goes on for about two minutes stating that you are checking propagation outside of the USA to Africa, The Middle East, and Oceania. :-) "
--

I believe that's how WWV gets their propagation numbers Smiley

Similarly, there was a nutcase years ago who CQ'd on 40 specifically naming the DX he sought, usually Asian countries with zero activity. And he often did that when it was broad daylight in those countries!    
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »

About as bad as the idiots who post 20m DOMESTIC QSOs on the DX cluster. Uncle Harry in Georgia is DX to cousin Goober in Tennessee. Right..........  
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »

While I never respond to a domestic station call "CQ DX," I have jumped in on East Coast stations the have been calling and calling "Beaming the Pacific" with no replies.  Just a short QSO to let them know that they are being heard as far as the West Coast anyway.

Perhaps they are only being polite, but they usually seem grateful.

73 de Eric KG6MZS
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:51 AM »

"Perhaps they are only being polite"

Most ARE just being polite to you.  

Outside of contests, U.S. stations shouldn't be calling CQ DX over and over. It's just a resource-wasteful ego trip to be "checking propagation to the Indian Ocean." And those guys know darn well they're getting into Peoria or Walla Walla.

Unfortunately, perhaps, CQing <<<is useful>>> in DX contests for well equipped stations who will pick up many Qs and Mults that don't want to be the subject of a wild pileup.  During the CQWW, CQs will produce a lot of Canadian Qs.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »

"It's just a resource-wasteful ego trip to be "checking propagation to the Indian Ocean.""

It is pretty silly to listen to people not work any DX even though they're calling CQ.

On the flip side are guys like W3RJ who seem to get spotted and generate pileups when they call CQ.  If you're a monster U.S. station who can really hear well, calling CQ DX and only taking DX callers is nice for that little guy in Korea with a G5RV at 20 feet...

But if no one comes back to you?  Give it a rest.

I've had kind of a funny experience a couple nights in the spring on 160m because I'm a very Eastern located night owl with a decent directional antenna, so there are nights where mid-USA thunderstorms are really killing everyone so they go to bed... but I can still hear and work EU.

So I think sometimes I've bascially been the only U.S. station on the band as some EU guys wake up and get on the radio... no other US stations heard, few to no  EU calling CQ, but if I call CQ I can make half a dozen contacts at least.

My massive CQ is powered by 100W from a FT-857D :-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 03:37:07 PM »

I call "CQ DX - outside of North America, please" on a very regular basis, and the results never cease to amaze me. I'm in New Jersey, not on an IOTA or anything special and in a very populous and common county with a big ham population. In other words "nothing special here." I run three elements on 20, two on 17 and two on 40 all up between 72 and 85 feet, and I usually run between 1300-1500W. I crave working pileups and don't usually ragchew more than exchanging names, etc.

Calling CQ DX, when there's propagation, will inevitably yield a monster pileup of stations coming back to me from all across Europe and frequently Africa, the south Atlantic and even VKs on the long path. I usually run out of time to work them all or I run out of propagation before the pile decreases.

In other words, calling CQ is very useful for me. But that said, I also made the commitment to putting together a station that can achieve these results. The proverbial G5RV at 20 feet and a 706 Mark IIg wouldn't cut it here in NJ the way it would if I were running it in Bhutan or on Comoros.

Now with that in mind I'll occasionally beam over the pole to central Asia, etc, and call CQ. Sometimes I don't get anything, but occasionally I'll call for 10 or 15 minutes to no replies but then finally I'll rustle up a Q from zone 18 or a 9V or a YB, etc. To me it's far more enjoyable to put an uncommon entity in the log when they answer me than when I sit in a pileup for five minutes and work 'em that way.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WA7NB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »

First, I'd like to thank all who took the time to share input on this topic.  Some really helped. I'd like to start by saying the worst place to call "CQ DX" expecting DX to call you is on BPSK31. over 90% of the time a U.S.A. station answers.  I have also discovered something important.  If I call "CQ DX" and I don't want anyone from the U.S.A. or Canada to answer, I had better Call "CQ DX Outside North America, Including Canada" right away. When I just call "CQ DX" and am answered by U.S.A operators or Canadians and I switch my message to include "outside North America and Canada".  WOW!!!! people get so vicious with responses...Lid, eliteist, scum,  etc...

Also, I do operate CW, alot.  I have to say, when I call "CQ DX" on CW, U.S.A. and Canadians call me less than 10% of the time.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »

>>>>While I never respond to a domestic station call "CQ DX," I have jumped in on East Coast stations the have been calling and calling "Beaming the Pacific" with no replies. Just a short QSO to let them know that they are being heard as far as the West Coast anyway.

Perhaps they are only being polite, but they usually seem grateful.<<<<

>>Most ARE just being polite to you<<

OK.  You've convinced me. I wont do that anymore.
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »

From a European perspective, on most of the HF bands, if we call cq dx, then we don't expect a European station to reply to us. There's no real need to add 'outside Europe', it pretty much understood.

In addition, if we hear a North African or Middle Eastern station calling dx, then you can be pretty shure he doesn't want a European replying even if he doesn't utter the familiar 'outside Europe only'. If they're not busy with real dx, they'll be ok with a European and not issue a curt 'you're not dx to me'.

Still, there's a lot of good manners left on HF, and it's rare to hear anyone get too angry with a more local station replying to a dx call. It's just when a band is open to some real dx, the calling op may not get a lot of time on the radio and they'll want to make the most of it.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 05:38:03 AM »

"Still, there's a lot of good manners left on HF, and it's rare to hear anyone get too angry with a more local station replying to a dx call."

--
I've noticed that oddity too. There's an idiot WD8 who often parks around 7135 calling CQ "Dog X-ray" for long periods. He uses a dipole and high power and gets a stateside reply about every third CQ. A few days ago he pulled in about 8 stateside stations, one from Barbados and a lone Italian over 45 minutes. What a waste of RF on the WD8's part! And not one of the stateside callers offered an excuse for calling him (new state, checking antenna etc). I think his results were fairly typical.

What stops me from being rude to stateside callers is that it is possible to mistake a CQ DX for a general call if one catches just the final seconds of the CQ.

Perhaps too the problem is the well known lack of CQing on the bands, especially 75 meters. On CW, one can always find CQs on QRP frequencies. Still, lack of CQs doesn't excuse the practice.  

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: