The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iambic Keying - Debunking the Myth  (Read 7521 times)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »

It took me no time at all to get back into the swing of the shift lever and the clutch.
Good to know as I'm in same position but for reasons of work opportunity: haven't driven manual for decades, was worried it may be hard to get back! We worry too much eh!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »

I've read that the guys who do speed sending competitions all use single lever paddles.  It makes a lot of sense.  I would imagine that it would be nearly impossible to tap the dah into an F or an L at 80 wpm.  I've also read that the real speedsters have to hold the paddle down on the table with their off hand because they are banging that single lever back and forth with so much force.  Doesn't sound like fun to me.

That being said, for us mortals who live in the world below 40 wpm, the iambic mode can be quite nice.  When I use an electronic keyer, I use all of the iambic shortcuts.  The single squeeze move that makes an A or an N works like magic with my call sign Smiley.  Not sure why it has become fashionable to complain bitterly about iambic keying.   It's just an option.  Nobody is making you use it.

I like iambic keying a lot.   Although, I would like to try out a single lever paddle one day.  Maybe when I can comfortably copy 45 wpm I shall have to invest in one.

Cheers

Mike
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »

Mike I do agree there is no harm in iambic, and it's a nice lazy way to call CQ, when using speeds that are not QRQ. Sending 35WPM is not hard on iambic. The problem is just that it's been sold to us as more desirable than it actually is, and we often don't realise the limitations it places on speed above 40WPM. I doubt anyone can send 50WPM on iambic without more errors. Not saying anything is wrong with using iambic for "normal" speeds. Whatever makes one comfortable and send well is fine. I used my Bulldog K9LU paperclip paddle again today, iambic. My single lever is currently set to cootie mode.  Cheesy

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
WA8QNN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »

Hey KE6EE, sounds like we're kindred spirits. I've got 2 iambic paddles and have never mastered that technique, nor do I intend to. I also have a couple of Vibrokeyers and use those mostly. Since I've retired I have been driving an automatic, it sucks, gonna have another gear jammer, hopefully soon.

Larry
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »

I have been driving an automatic, it sucks, gonna have another gear jammer, hopefully soon.
Larry

Don't go auto in your auto. Ditto with dits and dahs.

I cannot envision the pleasure of a Sunday drive in the country in a robotmobile although
the tech world assures me that robocars are nearly here.

I just don't think robots know how to have any fun. Grin

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »

I just don't think robots know how to have any fun. Grin
Indeed. And in some parts of the world, VK is one, people are being made INTO robots. You are not allowed to show emotion, and thus, have any real fun. Most younger ones these days seem to think that a one hour stand, and/or getting drunk or drugs, is fun. Sad as we knew how to have real fun. But we're not allowed to do that any more. You aren't allowed to be yourself let alone a human being any more. CW is going the same way for many, robot modes!

PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »

Come on,

You can learn every keying mode including iambic A and iambic B the right way. Hence also including bug, straight key, cootie key, dashbeforedot dotbeforedash and ultimatic.

Left and right hand.

The method:
1. start with character A repeat A a 100 times
2. same with B
3. When all the characters and figures done: go to a mix
4. take a page of the telephone directory and key it.

Not before 4. finished put your transmitter on.

There is nothing wrong with Iambic A or B, most used is B.

Only when you are sending above 45 wpm you better do not use it. Up to 30 wpm nobody in a healthy state will have a problem in timing.

However you don't need  because each dual paddle in Iambic mode can be just used as a single paddle, keep your fingers wide  and don't squeeze, that is all.

And when I use it that way it is just easy for <AR> to squeeze instead of left right left right left.

http://morsecode.nl/iambic.PDF
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:18:51 AM by PA0WV » Logged

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »

I used iambic just enough to realize that I was going to have to slow down and work with it to master it then I relocated and went QRT. I'd think it would be fun to use, i did it enough to know that it should be a lot less effort at normal keying speeds. It uses small motor coordination whereas slapping a key uses more of the large motor coordination.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »

It uses small motor coordination whereas slapping a key uses more of the large motor coordination.

Assuming this is true, why should using very small muscle groups be necessarily superior to
using larger muscle groups?

OK, maybe energy savings. One less hamburger per year required for small muscles vs larger.

I do know, and there is some evidence of this, that using a straight key American style (group of smaller muscles) is not superior to using it Euro style, with the key at the front edge of the desk.

Using larger muscles Euro style avoids the damage done to smaller muscles (and tendons, etc.)
keying American style.

Some folks may have difficulty with fine motor control of small muscles and some may
have difficulty with adequate control of larger muscles.

Some folks may enjoy the physical dance of using straight keys, bugs and the like. Others
will differ.

Are you a tiny muscle guy (or gal) or a big muscle guy or gal?
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »

Just to prove a point to myself I reconnected my Begali Iambic key and screwed the knob around to 32WPM which is about as fast as I can send on the single paddle, I could not even send my own call without making a complete pigs ear of it! It seemed to be a problem with the L in my callsign, whereas the single paddle is perfect,  Huh

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »

a lot less effort at normal keying speeds
A lot less than you may think! Maybe 5% or so, but when twiddling thumbs even 20% doesn't make any real energy benefit. Yes, it's fun to call CQ, that's about it. But if you mean compared to slapping something around, sure... but my cooties when I use it as single lever electronic keyer paddle, I also just move finger tips, no slapping around. Almost no energy consumed :-) Nothing wrong with iambic up to 30WPM or so, but only SOME (QRQ) people should know of the limitations in advance. Not a big deal. But on the other hand, is it worth paying for if it costs extra? A memory keyer yes, with beacon mode, that can come in handy or calling CQ when mobile.

Grin great points KE6EE -- I learned the American way in Europe. Did not realise there WAS a very different European way until much later. Think I was just lazy and wanted to rest my arm on the table. But I'm small build. So using small muscles is preferable for me  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:42:13 PM by VK5EEE » Logged

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 10:50:08 PM »

I have always used a bug. I am increasingly doing portable work and really don't like taking a bug in the field so ordered a single lever vibrokeyer....what iambic mode would you all suggest I use/learn? My KX3 has mode A and B, and not sure which would be appropriate. I use the bug emulator on my Yaesu 891.

Don KF7DS
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 11:46:27 PM »

I understand not taking your bug into a field! Nor would I! Parts of it would be liable to escape and join other bugs never to be found again. How about a side swiper? Simple key, easy and fun to use. Way less effort than a straight key, as little as a bug.

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 11:19:34 PM »

Good suggestion but never got along with cooties

Don KF7DS
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »

ordered a single lever vibrokeyer....what iambic mode would you all suggest I use/learn?
Don KF7DS

With a single lever vibrokeyer, or other single lever paddle, you cannot close both the dit and dah contacts at the same time. This is a requirement for iambic keying. Thus it doesn't matter which iambic mode you use.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: