The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iambic Keying - Debunking the Myth  (Read 7611 times)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »

Hi K4EQ

Well I did not read that article, nor my own comments of that it has no use, I just said it has little practical value. Since switching to single lever I can call CQ just as easily, in my view. But I'm also happy to use iambic squeezing to call CQ etc when using an iambic key. I don't think anyone in this thread was saying no one should use iambic.

We're just sharing experiences and information. No one can tell me that article is of no use, it is, I wish I'd seen it earlier in life, precisely because it prevented me from sending 60WPM. Even though you may not nor wish to do QRQ to that level, knowing that there is a limitation due to iambic timing, a no-brainer of course, but it doesnt' click with us all to realise that, at least allows you to make an informed choice just as the health of smoking and you may want to consider giving it up even if you don't want to live longer but you want to be able to walk and run faster.

Anyway, my comment was a response to what looked like "gawd, it's just a hobby, have fun" in response to something they perhaps don't consider worth talking about, a quite common feature that leads to clashes with those who think something IS worth talking about. I have NO problem neither using iambic nor others using it. It's just good to know it has LITTLE PRACTICAL USE, and it really doesn't. Yes, those using iambic may feel it does, since that is what they are using, but those who are not using it, are not missing out on much at all.

Another information I wish I'd known about 30 years ago already: side swipers. The simplest of keys, the best of keys. But that's a different subject. Even if I say the "best" of keys, I have reasons, but it does not mean I will stop using my bugs, keyer, iambic, non-iambic, nor straight key. I find uses for them all, they're all connected, and used on regular basis. But side swiper is something that is unique in what you can do with it that TO ME produces in the right hands (not mine!) the best sounding CW, and to me, the best of those included the French police. Even today I hear those fists from F-land among some of the radio amateurs. A pity though propagation is not currently too easy from here.

Hope to catch you on air, iambic or otherwise we both could not care  Smiley

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
K7PHX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2017, 06:42:18 AM »

I don't know about debunking.  Reading through the responses just proves that everyone likes what he is used to doing.  Personally I have no use for Iambic.  As mentioned it was probably thought up by a programmer and not by an experienced CW op.  The charts are correct.  A handful of characters are more convenient, not the whole alphabet, not the usual CW abbreviations, and definitely not in casual sending either. 

So many of the early CW guys started with a straight key and could easily do 25 wpm.  Then graduated to a bug when they had the money.  I remember building a tube electronic keyer from the Handbook and using the bug to key it.  Only one new thing to learn - automatic dashes.  There's years of CW experience without Iambic.  After that, a VibroKeyer was the answer because it did the same thing that a bug does without relearning anything. 

I played around with Iambic, wondering what all the fuss was about.  If a person started their CW training on Iambic, well good for him.  I would never recommend it.  After years of using a bug or a VibroKeyer, Iambic didn't impress me a bit.  What seemed much more logical (and not mentioned much) is the Ultimatic Mode.  That mode makes sense, at least to someone who doesn't have years of Iambic experience.  So I am now suggesting that Ultimatic is the more practical, muscle and nerve friendly, and sensible mode to use.  It means next to nothing to me to compare efficiencies of various modes going up through 50 wpm, as not many ops are left that can even do 30.  Personally I still like the bug and sometimes break out the VibroKeyer just for fun.  There is the element of skill that still appeals to me.  The old saying  ".....blames his tools" still applies.   

Regards,
K7PHX
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »

My experience: taught myself using paddle and iambic keyer 15 years ago at age 51 and never looked back... Since then, became barely proficient with bug and straight key, but always a comfort to come back to my iambic roots...  We all have a story and preferred method...  and it's all good...

73   Roll Eyes
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: