The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Military still has Morse code training  (Read 2602 times)
KH6AQ

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

As of May 20, 2015 the U.S. military consolidated its Morse code training to one base, Goodfellow AFB.

http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/590391/morse-code-training-moving-to-goodfellow/

https://www.army.mil/article/147247/Fort_Huachuca_bids_farewell_to_Morse_code_training/

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »

"The Goodfellow course will train 10 students annually ..."

Ten per year, minus those who can't pass and attrition.
So, we have more social workers and sexual alignment
counselors than Morse intercept operators. Got it - 

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »

So, we have more social workers and sexual alignment
counselors than Morse intercept operators.

That's why more hams matter. However bad their "fists."  Cheesy
KM4DYX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:19:42 PM »

I think that the larger issue is the state of HF training and equipage, particularly in the U.S. Army. There does seem to be forward movement in this arena, however, with the fielding of wideband HF radios with up to 120 kbps data rates.

https://www.harris.com/press-releases/2017/03/harris-corporation-receives-nsa-certification-for-rf-300h-wideband-high

http://www.army-technology.com/news/newsharris-supply-rf-7800h-radios-to-us-dod-foreign-customers
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

ASA,

A sad state of affairs have the United States citizens become.

Children are so overprotected, they never have fun like falling out of a tree and landing on their sister.

Throwing rocks at each other. Drinking too much Kool-Aid.

Etcetera.

And we never got fat.

Kraus
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »

Same in Ameristralia Kraus, here it was a shock to see after almost 40 years. Back then, no fat people, unless a serious medical problem. You would not want to be fat either as unkind remarks were given. Now, there is no stigma in being fat and we struggle daily not to be even fatter than we are. Indeed in the dictatorial rule that George Orwell left out along with "War is Peace", "Ignorance is Strength", "Slavery is Freedom", all of which have come to pass, as a slogan designed to impart the Slavery is Freedom we have HEALTH AND SAFETY shouted at us as an excuse at every turn, and which results in less health then ever before. To save a small minority of lives, from the abuse of freedom, and it's cost, they have forced upon the majority slavery in order to keep the majority alive but on our knees. The result: more obesity, heart diseases, depression...

Now to relate this to CW, otherwise our complaining whinge at the state of affairs would be off topic... coming up on April 1, 2018, a new regulation to CW operations, as the result of a survey carried out in October 2017 where the following questions were asked to ARRL and WIA members:

* Would you favor CW channels as a means to reducing QRM?
* If so, would you favor channels 1.000kHz apart or 0.500kHz apart?
* Would you favor a speed limit placed on CW transmissions?
* If so, should the limit be 5, 12, 18, 25 or 30WPM?
* Would you favor a regulation requiring a deviation of less than 15% from Standard Morse Code
* Would you favor a ban on equipment older than 1980 in manufacture date?
* Would you favor a special license required to operate older equipment ensuring no chirp nor drift?

Those who took part obviously did not understand it makes QRM worse having channels, and as the survey was open to also non-CW operators, the speed limit clearly found favor as well as the restriction on deviation!

As a result from 1 April 2018, at least in VK and USA, and RSGB is now campaigning to follow suit, the new rules:

* CW transmissions can only occur on channels spaced 1kHz apart (and only when full, 0.5kHz apart)
* No equipment older than 1980 may be used unless the tone is T9X
* A speed limit of 18WPM has been imposed on majority vote
* Deviation of more than 15% from standard international Morse is considered as coded and thus illegal transmission

Now WIA is, according to uninformed sources, planning, in cahoots with the govern-a-mint, minting money from hams that break the new CW speed rule after it comes into force. Those sending above 18.000 WPM measured with the PARIS method, must pay a speeding fine of $50 for the first infringement, $100 for the second, $250 the third, and $500 for subsequent violations, or, give up their license. As a cost saving measure, the WIA and ACMA agreed to allow radio amateurs to receive a 35% commission each from ratting on speedsters, providing each report is verified by at least one other radio amateur, the commission thus is 30% to govern-a-mint and 35% to each reporter. This may be reviewed at any time without notice.

"It was felt that due to only a small minority of hams using old rigs and the undesirability of drift and chirp given the new channel enhancements (which a loud vocal minority on the web have been calling restrictions), such equipment be no longer operated under terms of the new license additions." says the statement.

Am I the only one thinking this health and safety has gone too far now that it has also encroached on our CW, the same way that the no-code surveys conducted resulted in the lack of requirement of Morse Code proficiency? Why don't they next come up with a survey to drop the technical part of the exams since the majority now use, and can only use, black boxes made after 1980?

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »

From April 1st, 2018...

CW speed rules? Huh? A fine if going to fast? Oh I see you've read something from the Onion thing.

Good joke.

Alrighty. The KC4ZGP 30 meters magnetic loop working. Been poking Morse at about 10.109MHz. You and I
just need to find the right hour when the band is just right for us.

We are four hours behind UTC. I see you're nine hours ahead of UTC. So when it's 6:00p.m. your time,
it's 5:00a.m. my time. The band is opening for you, closing for me.

Am I to rise early to meet you on the circuit? I'm up at 5:00a.m. everyday anyways.

Kraus

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:30:25 AM »

Yes Sir,

0900 UTC (we are by the way nine and a HALF hours ahead here) is fine...

Call for me at this time (and if I don't answer or you don't hear me call CQ then I might here someone answer you)...

on 101date.3kHz... so on 17 August that means 10117.3, the next day 18th on 10118.3 etc... easy to thus find, and not on a .0 the more chance ANY CW heard would be you or I.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »

Alrighty. I shall begin calling 0900UTC or thereabout on 10117.3KHz. Gotta have the coffee first.

Kraus
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 04:47:14 AM »

The CIA still provides this training and has same requirements for Radiotelegraph Operator License.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 05:55:58 AM »

Snip>

As a result from 1 April 2018, at least in VK and USA, and RSGB is now campaigning to follow suit, the new rules:

* CW transmissions can only occur on channels spaced 1kHz apart (and only when full, 0.5kHz apart)
* No equipment older than 1980 may be used unless the tone is T9X
* A speed limit of 18WPM has been imposed on majority vote
* Deviation of more than 15% from standard international Morse is considered as coded and thus illegal transmission

Snip<

Love it  Grin

KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 06:13:20 AM »

ASA,

A sad state of affairs have the United States citizens become.

Children are so overprotected, they never have fun like falling out of a tree and landing on their sister.

Throwing rocks at each other. Drinking too much Kool-Aid.

Etcetera.

And we never got fat.

Kraus

It's true. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1DCOVvxPJI

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »

ASA:  OK, no more Morse intercept operators.....so what becomes the primary (or secondary SECURE mode of communications?  Why, Morse of course! 

I just hope this is another case of what we civilians (now) have no idea of what is going on.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »

Alternatives to ever-more-in-number and inevitably-ineffective additional rules:

1. CW transmissions can only occur on channels spaced 1kHz apart (and only when full, 0.5kHz apart)

Ham exams to include demonstration of real radio-operation skill in tuning out closely-spaced (<500Hz) CW QRM. Knob-use to be demonstrated: notch filter and passband tuning; IF filter
selection. Remember: knobs are designed to be both deeply understood and regularly applied.

2. No equipment older than 1980 may be used unless the tone is T9X

Ham exams to require examinee to do vocal imitation of T8, T5 and T2 (60Hz square wave modulation) sounds. Too few operators of post 1980-equipment have ever experience poor
CW tone so new smartphone app is to be developed for learning, with clear warning not to
practice tone vocalizations in a bar.

2. A speed limit of 18WPM has been imposed on majority vote

New code-speed radar smartphone app needs development. Will send text message automatically to offender with precise WPM, character weight and spacings.

3. Deviation of more than 15% from standard international Morse is considered as coded and thus illegal transmission

New AI software needs to be developed some decades hence well-after car driving and commercial aircraft piloting have been taken over by robots. Software will be able to
establish that sophisticated bug sending with up to 75% of deviation from standard International
Morse Code can still sound clear as a bell and be 110% copyable by a competent human or robotic op.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 06:24:14 AM »

Great video!

KE6EE: I object to the Police at Point 2.

I love the KNOB TWIDDLERS vs BUTTON PUSHERS!

I loved twiddling knobs. Keep the knobs. Ban the buttons.

Banning the button may even prevent button pushers Kim and Don from destroying us all.

Only button pushing allowed with be the straight key and on-off CW. Everything else should be variable.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: