The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R390A meter faces  (Read 1448 times)
N3DT

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:56:43 PM »

I got some nice replacement meters to put in my R390A's. I've got 2 R390A's. One has a good carrier meter, but the VU meter is white. The other has no meters. A nice fellow got me some meters that will work to replace, but I really don't like the look of 'printed on paper faces'. I actually have some original meter faces that I can put in 2 new meters, but they don't fit of course, different screw holes, and even if I did re-drill them, the new screws would be in the printing part of the face. I also need to cut off part of the curve to make the meter dial not hit. I was wondering if there isn't some convenient way to screen the back side of the new meter faces with a 'new' reproduction of the originals? With all the new computer stuff and screening I would think there would be a process, but I haven't a clue. Any ideas. I don't want to spend $300 on this, but I'm willing to play around with it a lot. I thought about painting them semi-gloss black and trying to print on that with a paint pen but everyone knows what that would look like. I don't know if a stencil would work?
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »

Look into one of the online silk-screen fabrication services. Supply them with art and they'll do the rest.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »

I could try that, got a link or have you done it?
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 05:01:36 AM »

Check out the meter face software available for free.  Here's one I've played with:

http://www.tonnesoftware.com/meter.html

If you print a meter face on photo paper, it will be pretty crisp and look about as good as a commercial scale.  The new face could just be glued to the existing meter scale -most can be easily removed for this work.

73, Floyd - K8AC
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:35:16 AM »

Yeah, I've got the artwork and can adjust it for the mounting screw placement if necessary. I'm going to try a photo, that seems my best option at this point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: