The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes you the most reluctant to answer a CQ?  (Read 10694 times)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »

Two specific cases when I react negatively to a CQ:

1. Running characters together. Copyable if what is being sent is predictable. If not predictable,
such sending can be impossible to understand.

2. Bug sending where the dit speed and/or weight is not appropriate to the overall sending speed.
A very ugly sound which also announces to me contempt for the culture of the bug.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

1. Running characters together. Copyable if what is being sent is predictable. If not predictable,

2. Bug sending where the dit speed and/or weight is not appropriate to the overall sending speed.
A very ugly sound which also announces to me contempt for the culture of the bug.

I don't understand #2, part II. ...culture of the bug...

On 18.087MHz, Morse, 2200UTC. Won't you join me?

Kraus
KI4ODO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »

Lack of spacing. When characters all run together I won't answer. I don't mind newer ops, bug users, or whoever. But lack of spacing makes it almost impossible to copy.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »

I don't understand #2, part II. ...culture of the bug...

Culture of the bug: understanding of it comes from using bugs and possibly other non-automated sending devices.

Possibly deepened by collecting a few old bugs and renewing them. And using them.

Requires deep understanding of the subtle rhythms of Morse Code. Requires an acute awareness of the difference in sound between automated code and handcrafted code which mimics automated.

A metaphor: the dead sound musicians hear when music includes a computerized rhythm section, formerly referred to as a "plastic drummer." As compared to live music and the interweavings of rubato and phrasings, perhaps especially among jazz players.

Another: rice eating cultures know exactly where locally-grown rice is produced because they can
taste it. Here some people can tell the difference between white rice and brown.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

OK. My bug is the Copper Head from 73 magazine, May 1992.

This evening an enjoyable Morse conversation with W2IFB at 18.086MHz.

He went slower, I got faster. Thank you Joe.

On 18.087MHz, Morse, 1200UTC to whenever.

Kraus

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »

There are quite a few ops today that run all the letters and words together.  This makes it difficult to copy.  As far as the speed, if the other op is faster than me, in almost all cases, they will slow down a bit.  I had a recent qso where the op was apparently using computer generated CW and gave me his whole litany just like they do in PSK.  At least the computer generated code had spaces between the words.
Art I agree on this, when using a keyer, to me, CW should be sent as close to perfectly as possible, there is NO need to make any variation from official Morse Code because ANY attempt to do so DECREASES the efficiency and beauty of CW! On a keyer, joining letters, varying spaces between letters, has no benefit whatsoever, on the contrary. On mechanical keyers, that is not the case in fact CW can be IMPROVED upon depending on the conditions: eg faster dits only, more internal character spacing, etc depends on the conditions and the operators but absolutely the official Morse Code can, and is, improved upon by such variations between experienced OPs. But keyers, no way does it work. If someone runs things together like HW <AR>E U it is not nice, but can be decodes. If they send CY you have no way to know easily and without stress, whether they are sending CY, TRY, or KEY.

Computer keyboards!!! I have had at 12WPM twice VK stations come back, with a long over including semi-colons, endless strings of period "...", colons, brackets (parenthesis), and including things like THE HANDLE THIS WAY IS JIM AND I'M RUNNING AN ICOM IC-7300 (100W: DIPOLE; 8M UP) while he is presumably off to make coffee and leaving me to suffer. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often (yet?!)

Again, you'll find sometimes I (though usually on local bands out of boredom) will send VKERROR as my callsign, that is <VKEEEEEEEE> but the locals know who that is... and I do identify properly once in a while. In this case VKERROR is predictably the VK5EEE so if you were local I think you'd call me :-)

Still I have to confess, I do call stations who send incomplete or poor CW, actually missing dits or adding dits here or there, I see it as a challenge, just like I'm happy to answer a station with RST 229, I enjoy the challenge of QSZ, QRN, QSB, QRP *and* QSD.

rice eating cultures know exactly where locally-grown rice is produced because they can
taste it. Here some people can tell the difference between white rice and brown.
Just yesterday I ran out of the best rice in the world, even if the Yankees have stolen it and produce it Genetically Modified, it cannot beat the original: Jasmine Rice. Being not only patriotic but a lover of the best food in the world (Thailand) and the 2nd best food in the world (Thailand) and the 3rd best food in the world (Thailand), as well as the 4th and others (Cambodian, Laotian, Mediterranean, etc etc) I always eat Jasmine Rice. Yesterday I had to MIX it with brown Australian rice which has sat there for years in reserve, after removing the BUGS that float to the surface. It of course was not nearly as tasty as Jasmine on its own, but, it was edible, I had to EAT. Yes, you are right there, we can tell the difference, as much as between various types of CW variations from the official, and somewhat ARBITRARY international Morse Code. It's those who learned CW only by that type of Morse Code and always use keyers that are flummoxed when they encounter an improved version thereof. Typically NATO armed forces suffer this handicap.

Still, you guys and gals over there in NAM and EU really you are so lucky, all hours of day and night you have a lot of CW to CHOOSE from. We down here don't have that luxury, we have to take what we have. Which is very little most of the time!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VK7JB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »

For me, it's mostly poor spacing between characters and words that puts me off answering a call or tail-ending a QSO.  I know that it's poor timing which will make for a very tiring QSO, unless it's a simple, formulaeic  rubber stamp contact.  Once the music and flow are disturbed, then the CW QSO becomes something else, which is too hard to enjoy . Maybe I'm not patient enough. For me, the music and the meaning of the message flow together andi fthe musica nd the mess age areju st mashedthe, n Ijustmoveon andfindsomeoneleseto talktob ecauseits justmor efunt hatway. 

John
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »

the Hardest ones to reply to, are the ones that seems to be using an Auto-Sender,
and who call CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ DE .... then repeat that almost immediately.
- with No Real Gap in the middle of that string.
or, maybe they just aren't interesting in Listening to any Reply.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »

GA John VK7JB I hope for a QSO with you! My one element beam is beaming exactly to VK7 and does very well! If you are on 30m, try a call on 101date.3kHz thus today 10126.3 I usually have the volume up when around. Or look especially at 0600Z on 14349 or after 0606Z on 10121 the 06Z CW Net with QNN VK6RR I'm often there. Would be great to have a QSO, too few CW ops down here.

OM Peter VK6IS I agree, I find a lot of that, in the old days after a CQ there was intent listening, tuning around up and down the band for replies. Now it is narrow, very very narrow filter, and looking for S9+ replies only. I think that goes for the majority of CQ's that I answer without success, that and/or very high local noise levels.

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 11:54:39 PM »

Anyone sending E N in place of the letter K
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 11:57:35 PM »

Anyone sending E N in place of the letter R rather.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 11:58:36 PM »

Hi

People whom will never get an anwser:
-CQ test .....

-CQ DX and DX only....

_CQCQCQCQdew6iwillstickallletterstogether.

-CQCQ de LZ3I am as Wide as a barndoor with 5KW and keyclicks as large as a lorry.
 my TX is running in freq. and running out of your 500 hz filter.

-  -.-.--.- -.-.--.- -..-  .---.....-..---..  (cqcq de w6lid)

the last one is the first to get absolutely no answer.

i have nothing agaist LZ and W6 though.

People whom always get an answer.
- CQ SRS tjoep de tjoep tjoep running WW2 gear.
- PA4M, PA3BYW.

73 Jos
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 08:09:50 AM »

Just yesterday I ran out of the best rice in the world Jasmine Rice. Being not only patriotic but a lover of the best food in the world (Thailand)

Could be that 3xE callsigns think alike.

I also favor (brown) Jasmine rice over others, although on occasion I will prepare brown Basmati and other brown rices and even, when I can find it, red cargo rice.

California is one of the major world rice-growing areas and most local food shops will have at least one or two organic brown or white varieties. Big Asian population here.

Asians who live in rice-growing areas really can distinguish not just between major rice varieties but also between the same variety grown on "different sides of the river" as a friend put it.

Yes, Thai food is excellent. I, however, think Vietnamese food is the best because it has, in addition to Indian, SE Asian and Chinese influences, French. Nothing wrong, usually, with good
French cooking. However I will defer to your opinion on cuisines since you are much closer
to the source than I am.  Cheesy
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »

Characters allruntogether.  Keyboard ops (nothing against good keyboard use) who send A   R  instead of didahdidahdit  Please program a function key with the proper prosign  Smiley 
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 08:48:54 AM »

Yes, Thai food is excellent. I, however, think Vietnamese food is the best because it has, in addition to Indian, SE Asian and Chinese influences, French. Nothing wrong, usually, with good French cooking. However I will defer to your opinion on cuisines since you are much closer to the source than I am.  Cheesy
I won't argue with Vietnamese food and of course they make heavenly soups, good french bread, no bread in Thailand, though white bread is not so good for your health :-)

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: