The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes you the most reluctant to answer a CQ?  (Read 10835 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »

How many do the civil thing let the individual know his or her fist is difficult to copy because of...?

I ask folks to slow down.

Civility makes the operator.

On 18.087MHz, Morse, right now.

Kraus
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »

How many do the civil thing let the individual know his or her fist is difficult to copy because of...?
Thankfully few, as I find that no ones fist is bad, if I cannot copy a fist it's because of MY deficiency. There's hardly a fist I cannot copy mind you!

I ask folks to slow down.
So you should, I never object to a "QRS"

Civility makes the operator.

On 18.087MHz, Morse, right now.

Kraus
[/quote]17m is mostly closed here and being after midnight... only 30m and down is open but time for ZZZ! 73!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »

Gute Nacht.

Kraus
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 10:13:21 PM »

I look for CQs that I can copy up to 17 wpm. I find code below 13 wpm is often bad due to no spaces, all dahs, or microsecond dits. At slow rates bad spacing isn't a real problem for me.

If someone is at 25 wpm and up they can wait for someone in their league. I'm not going to spoil their day. With a QRS they typically slow down but then pepper me with ?? every time I take a extra second or two. Thinking, logging, finding the pencil, and sending code is a load. A few ?? prompts doesn't help.

Bad Pro-signs or perfect code are a tip off the code is computer sent. This is often a set up where the hand sent code that follows is un-readable. I avoid these after too many surprises.

If  the callers previous QSOs sounded like a Army weather report with numerous abbreviations and numbers or BK after nearly every word I spin the dial.

So the range of acceptable CQs for me is narrow, for now. Not too fast or slow, normal spacing, enough english text I can miss a character or two and still get it, and not overly verbose.

A possible way to get more CQ Responses:
Calling CQ for hours a day for a solid week during Thirteen Colonies (K2K) I heard it all including a "chirp" that was more of a whooping sound, at 3 AM I needed a chuckle. Everyone I heard I tried to work including those sending just dahs at 5 wpm or code with zero spaces. For those at 15-20 with no spaces I sent "spacing" and it actually helped.

After long hours in the chair and the "quality" QSO have dropped off you try things like sending slower. If I was getting a lot of agn? instead of slowing down I left the keyer at 15 wpm and tried increasing my spacing, it really helped. (my normal spacing was fine) I then started calling CQ with the increased spacing and improved my Q rate for a while.

Before the trolls attack I not suggesting we bastardize the code by changing the spacing. To accommodate a noob in 1966 they needed 5 or so wpm,  to accommodate a noob in 2017 they may need 15-20 wpm but increased spacing.

Many don't like to hear this but a lot of new CW ops didn't start at 5 wpm and work their way up to 13 wpm. LCWO, Ham Morse and the rest of the on-line tools suggest you start day one at 15-20 wpm with a spacing of 8-10 wpm. There is a great link in this forum with 1942 WW2 US Army code training audio. They start day 1 at 15 wpm with long spaces. Koch/Farnsworth isn't new, just more common today. The goal is to learn by sound at a speed that precludes counting dits and dahs. Blame the rule change, computers, and "smart" phones. I'm just the messager, if I could go back to 1966, find a buddy, and finish practicing for the novice test I would.

Hamilton K1HMS

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »

Computer Morse code.

Hmmm..

Kind of takes the skill part out of the picture doesn't it.

I think my fist is OK. 17 meters dead all week. I do hear A.R.R.L. code practice and bulletins
and a beacon in the Caribbean.

Kraus
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »

What Caribbean beacon please, frequency and callsign? 73

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »

What makes you decide you won't answer a particular CQ?

If they are in a DXCC that I have worked and have confirmed I might not answer, if they are busy I wont bother adding to the QRM. I do not care for rag chewing, nets and old men's interests, so mostly I answer things of interest, SOTA, WWFF and DX i have not worked before, etc.
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 06:09:05 AM »

im reluctant to answer a hand sent cq unless well sent my rx isnt great but getting there. if i hear vk5eee i will answer lou his cw is good unless he is using a cootie cause my hearing doesnt like it. i answer sota and wwff ops with the paddle not the key board. While my sending it getting pretty solid now i still get nervous . like the time i answered a cq and i ended up with the pile up in a local contest cause i had a reasonable signal. i'm not a rag chewer and prefer not to in cw but have done it with a few russians just pleasantries. They are very good cw ops and cope well with my  mistakes.
i cq on 10m to test if the band is open generally hand sent to ja. sometime you get some great code back and others its very hard to copy so i just 5nn tu 73
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 06:19:20 AM »

Computer Morse code.

Hmmm..

Kind of takes the skill part out of the picture doesn't it.

I think my fist is OK. 17 meters dead all week. I do hear A.R.R.L. code practice and bulletins
and a beacon in the Caribbean.

Kraus

Yup. So what about these so-called CW Contests? Most is computer generated. No sending skills needed here...
Like running a Marathon with one motorized leg.

Asked a contester why computer generated CW. The answer "otherwise I will get tired in my arm". Ah really? So what?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:21:42 AM by OZ8AGB » Logged
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »

What makes you the most reluctant to answer a CQ?
1. Can't copy because too fast.  What's your rush?  Is 12 WPM too fast to call CQ and chat? I will answer a CQ at 5 wpm or less! 
2. Can't copy because weight is way off.
3. Can't copy because letters run together. 

Notice a pattern?
A few times, I answered (at my 12 wpm) a CQ sent at say 30 wpm, but received no reply.  That said:

What makes you reluctant to take a reply to your CW CQ?   Huh

And when would you decide you don't want to operate at 12-18 wpm and just turn the big knob?

KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »

Overly long CQs and CQ DX. As a KH6 some consider me DX but I feel that some (many?) do not.
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »

Sloppy sending by an experienced operator and many a time with a paddle not a strait key. When someone sends characters without leaving any space in between the letters. Makes it very difficult to even figure out their call. You hear a station with a very strong signal call cq for 30 minutes without a response. How do they know hear themselves? I feel bad but how do you tell someone that they have a horrible fist.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 05:44:33 PM »

Sloppy sending by an experienced operator and many a time with a paddle not a strait key. When someone sends characters without leaving any space in between the letters. Makes it very difficult to even figure out their call. You hear a station with a very strong signal call cq for 30 minutes without a response. How do they know hear themselves? I feel bad but how do you tell someone that they have a horrible fist.
QSD

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »

QSD

That's it:  QSD.  Translation:  Your keying is defective.
This Q signal is used primarily in the ham and commercial CW world.  The military also uses QSD, but for the worst military offenders, it's "ZBM2", meaning "Place a competent operator on this circuit."

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 07:02:25 PM »

My error-please delete.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: