The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes you the most reluctant to answer a CQ?  (Read 10600 times)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »

A few times, I answered (at my 12 wpm) a CQ sent at say 30 wpm, but received no reply
Maybe they were using a decoder and it could not tune in quick enough to the lower speed. More likely: they were just an a** those exist among radio amateurs too. Some, perhaps many, won't answer, or dislike answering, a response to their CQ that is less than armchair copy due to QSB, QRM etc.

Some, are just psychopaths, 4% of the population exist among hams too!

What makes you reluctant to take a reply to your CW CQ?   Huh

ONLY ONE type of answer doesn't get a follow through from me and results in me putting out another CQ: when the caller simply sends their call sign without sending mine. It's explained at the top of my QRZ page, not that they should read it.

And when would you decide you don't want to operate at 12-18 wpm and just turn the big knob?
Almost never. Perhaps if I had to head out the door within a few minutes. But if they are answering my CQ I would not simply ignore them. I'd respond at QRS.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 06:35:28 AM »

What Caribbean beacon please, frequency and callsign? 73

The callsign is HP1AVS in Panama.

Frequency is 18.096800MHz. Use a 500 Hz filter.

24 hours.

Kraus

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2017, 02:55:59 AM »

Herr VK5EEE de KC4ZGP

I'm on 10.103MHz right now, 0955UTC.

I'm calling CQ your direction.

Come in Australia.

Kraus
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2017, 04:48:11 AM »

Herr VK5EEE de KC4ZGP

I'm on 10.103MHz right now, 0955UTC.

I'm calling CQ your direction.

Come in Australia.

Kraus
Sorry OM! Local QRM S7, Over the Horizon Radar S9+, SSB S8... impossible. It's often quite bad local evenings here. Additional to this, my antenna has a null of around 2 or more S points to Western USA and Canada, less to the east, and South East may fair better though. I do OK to Europe which is the intended direction. I need to find an antenna for USA. Cannot as yet easily orient a dipole your way. Plus we have severe restrictions in Australia. We have to be eternally grateful that we are allowed to put up ANY antenna and we are constantly reminded of this by the authorities, and by fellow radio amateurs who were cooked slowly like frogs since long ago and did not taste the freedom of Africa and Asia.

I may try a vertical, I should be allowed that antenna, though noise may be an issue. Give me some time to try to sort this out. I do manage QSO to USA on 20/30/40m but always they have a big beam up at a big height.

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »

HB9FXW

What makes you decide you won't answer a particular CQ?

- Too low signals ("Life's too short for QRP")
    - Bad sending ("No time for noobs")
    - A country you work too often ("Not DX enough fer me")
    - Too slow ("No time for noobs" again)
    - Too fast and not sure they will QRS
    - Don't like their online profile...
    - You only answer friends

I often call CQ a lot, and despite being heard and decoded by the Reverse Beacon Network in a few places all over Europe and sometimes beyond, I struggle to find takers. My "success rate" when answering other's CQ is much higher, which seems to indicate that a lot of people hear me but decide not to answer me, and I wonder what I could do to improve the situation. When I was a quite rare multiplier in the H26 contest, it seemed like I had turned on a +20 dB amp and I miss that. I'm not asking for pileups, but c'mon...

For me, the most frequent reason to spin the dial is a low signal, because of my crappy antenna. I'm usually the one with the lowest RST, so if I hear someone faintly there are chances they won't hear me at all. I always work anyone who answers my CQ, though, because then I know they can hear me well enough.

Fortunately, there's not much QLF (well, at least when *I* am not calling Cheesy ) here, but I admit I have a low tolerance for badly sent code. I don't really care for too-wide spacing or the occasionnal "typo", but if your dahs are only 20% longer than your dits and you glue all your letters together in a continuous string, I won't have the skill nor the patience to work you.

What about you?

PLANKEYE

Well, first it certainly would not be because of your online profile. Your idea of poorly sent code could be what other folks are hearing from your fist and don't have the skill or patience to work you.  Low tolerance for your badly sent code.  I'm not sure if I'm answering this right but your post is like a survey so I'm answering like one.  Plus you posted a lot of narrative so I will try to help you.  I really don't have an answer everyone is different and the skill level in CW varies so just get on the air and have fun.  Don't be reluctant to call CQ or answer one and again enjoy yourself it's just a hobby.     
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »

What makes you decide you won't answer a particular CQ?

- Too low signals ("Life's too short for QRP")
    - Bad sending ("No time for noobs")
    - A country you work too often ("Not DX enough fer me")
    - Too slow ("No time for noobs" again)
    - Too fast and not sure they will QRS
    - Don't like their online profile...
    - You only answer friends

None of the above. I don't care if someone is a communist, capitalist, feminazi or Mother Theresa. If they send CW, I see them as comrades. Whatever differences one might have with someone off air, to me does not translate to on air. CW Ops, I think, see the common language as the connection, not any differences. When one gets chatting, it will be about radio, propagation, antennas, not polytricks and religion. At least on CW. I gather SSB is a different story these days.

For me, signal strength is not an issue. If I hear someone 229 I may still give them a call, I like challenge, decoding CW at -13dB SNR. I won't lie, if a Russian in St Petersberg comes back to my CQ and is 599 and running 15kW to a 7element stacked super array, I'm pleased. If he is calling CQ and I hear him at 229 and he replies to my call, I'm pleased.

Me thinks some may be too fussy about what calls they answer, e.g. not DX, not rare, worked before, etc. This might be one reason. Another is simply there are few people around. I've had 30m wide open Long Path to Europe, before people head out to work, but there is no one there. Few hams turn on the radio perhaps before work. I'm also not a morning operator, though I took part in the 5am Gnarly CW Net on 80m for a few weeks daily, but that's exceptional. So, I think it is the low non-5NN CW population.

Ahh, actually, there IS one type of CQ that I don't answer, as I find it rude and arrogant: the one that just ends with their callsign and  no "K". Perhaps we have the notorious unethical-ethics author ON4UN to blame for that. And the only type of response to my CQ that I ignore is the one that does not send my callsign. I find that rude too. I don't want to figure out if they are in a split pile up after sending an entire over. And if I send QRZ CALLSIGN? they don't get it. There is no code for "are you calling me, if so, send MY callsign first".

W2OZB

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »

I'm new to HAM and even newer to CW, though I am learning.  This being my first post on this forum.  The question is easy to answer.  I reply to no one faster than me for the following reason:

I feel it rude to chime in at my 10wpm pace forcing the operator to go to my speed.  If he wanted to slow code, he would cq at slow speed.  Now, if a faster operator hears my cq and answers, then, that op has chosen to slow down for me, and I am thrilled and honored.

When I hear a faster cq, I will listen and try to copy (sometimes I'm like a pig looking at a wristwatch, and sometimes, I can copy some). I have listened to some ops that have slowed down for me on my cq, and try to copy them at their normal speed.  Someday, I will answer their call with "remember me?", "I got here because you answered my call one day".  I suspect it will be a proud day for both of us.

At present, I am learning through CW academy.  The one thing they stress (besides head copy) is spacing.  Yes, dits and dahs have spacing, but so does "quiet".  With a paddle, the dits and dah spacing is easier than a straight key, but its the "quiet" that really makes the code work, so I understand the complaints in the previous posts. 

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »

ZB,
There are many OP's out there that will slow down to your speed if you answer their CQ.  I would not try to insult you by answering your call at 4X your speed.
I was slow once too.
Art
W2OZB

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »

Oh yes, I know that most (if not all) will slow down if I return the call, you guys have the patience of Jobe!  I just choose to operate this way, I get the best of both worlds, practicing my sending with an experienced op as well as copying, and it minimizes any congestion.

I send better than I copy, so copying is what I concentrate more on. Sometimes I sense a certain "tempo" that is maintained when an op is in CQ mode, getting to several responses,I wish not to change that tempo.  Well, for one thing, it's a beautiful thing!  That's when I turn break off and grab my pencil! 

Just watch out!  When I finally get to your speed.  You won't be able to shut me up!    :-)

Phil

PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »

W2OZB

I'm new to HAM and even newer to CW, though I am learning.  This being my first post on this forum.  The question is easy to answer.  I reply to no one faster than me for the following reason:

I feel it rude to chime in at my 10wpm pace forcing the operator to go to my speed.  If he wanted to slow code, he would cq at slow speed.  Now, if a faster operator hears my cq and answers, then, that op has chosen to slow down for me, and I am thrilled and honored.

When I hear a faster cq, I will listen and try to copy (sometimes I'm like a pig looking at a wristwatch, and sometimes, I can copy some). I have listened to some ops that have slowed down for me on my cq, and try to copy them at their normal speed.  Someday, I will answer their call with "remember me?", "I got here because you answered my call one day".  I suspect it will be a proud day for both of us.

At present, I am learning through CW academy.  The one thing they stress (besides head copy) is spacing.  Yes, dits and dahs have spacing, but so does "quiet".  With a paddle, the dits and dah spacing is easier than a straight key, but its the "quiet" that really makes the code work, so I understand the complaints in the previous posts. 

PLANKEYE

What a great post and I am glad you are enjoying CW you made some REALLY great points.  Good luck and have fun.   
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »

W2OZB de W7ASA. BT

You are a'GOOD CW Op already, because of your foundational ethics and making the time to learn to continuously improve! I look forward to meeting you on the air. Thank you for putting your FIRST forum posting right here - amount your fellow DIT chasers :-)

73 de Ray  ...- .-
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 11:35:12 PM »

i need well sent code 18-20 wpm and i need a short qso. my cw vocab is not great but i'm working to get there i use a decoder as a back up but do alot by ear now its only taken me over 2 years lol i could probably handle 23- 25 wpm for a report exchange name etc . take great pride in sending my cw well enough for someone to understand. but my  qso rate in cw is rare for non (dx type). but i will answer a lonely cq  especially on high bands. i find the ja ops on 10m most accommodating and will go the extra effort to work them with the key. i'm pretty good at faking cw with a keyboard but dont do that any more my sending is ok errors included. i got over being worried about maling mistakes

KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2017, 02:14:31 PM »

I have a troll list. It is pretty short.

Ted, KX4OM
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: