The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW keyer memory - What are your preferred entries?  (Read 1648 times)
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »

It's all pretty subjective. If you're in a Net or a pile-up you'll have several stations to compare one with another, and then maybe you could use nine (or seventeen, whatever), but most of the time three or four options are more than enough, and nine is overkill.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »

I agree it's over kill and not required. I think the one I usually abuse is S9, I should probably give S8 more often and reserve 9 for, as intended, EXTREMELY strong signals :-) QSA is so much easier. You can also use a trick to help you: first, decide which of the QSA is correct:

1. scarcely perceptible
2. weak
3. fairly good
4. good
5. very good

And equate them to Amateur RST thus:

QSAS

But, if you find a signal is BETWEEN the earlier mentioned QSA definitions, or you are undecided between two of them, then:

QSAS
1/22
2/34
3/46
4/58

Edit: sorry tables don't work here! But I think it's still clear :-)

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »

I like simplicity and so tend to use QRK with friends.  The bottom line for us is: can you hear me well enough to copy what I am sending?   
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 01:16:27 AM »

Indeed, the "Q" idea is a single digit, QRK. That's what's MOST important.
30m is in great shape as I write this, Europe booming in long path.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »

[quote author=W7ASA link=topic=116391.msg1016664#msg1016664 date=1503804937

Empty

I enjoy sending and receiving Morse. Using a memory to send my code would be like programming a robot to sip my single malt Scotch: a travesty.
[/quote]

Now THAT made my nightly read of eHam completely worthwhile.  Wink
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »

I don't use memories a lot.. most of the time I send everything by hand. I find that mostly I'll use them during dxpeditions when in pileups. I don't contest much, but sometimes I'll use a memory for a contest exchange so it will get adjusted as necessary

M1 KB2FCV
M2 I think a 599 TU but I usually send that by hand
M3 CQ CQ CQ DE KB2FCV KB2FCV K - I usually CQ by hand.. or mostly answer CQ's
M4 Some contest exchange which gets adjusted as needed
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 03:03:22 PM »

I enjoy sending and receiving Morse. Using a memory to send my code would be like programming a robot to sip my single malt Scotch: a travesty.

But you get a happy robot that way.   Wink   I actually depend on keyer memories these days; I have bad muscle tremors, and there are times when I can't send by hand--I just produce gibberish.  Even typing something on eham is slow and mistake-filled.   So if I want to enjoy a CW contest or DX, those memories let me keep having fun.  THey are NOT good, as mentioned, for ragchewing, but I never did much of that anyway.  So I admire your "no memories" attitude, but those memories are a big help for some of us.  :-)  Tnx 73!  -ken
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Today at 08:54:41 AM »

"happy robot..."   Grin

I do understand some of the health -vs- Morse issues, though thankfully mine have been fading with time.  You use what you have to continue and that's normal and laudable. Morse is elegant for reception by humans and at best; 'clumsy' for machines.

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
« Last Edit: Today at 08:57:26 AM by W7ASA » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:22:32 AM »

I love the happy robot illustration!  :-)  I actually still COPY with brain and/or paper, my brain is holding up better than my musculoskeletal system.  :-)
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: