The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...ARRL RENEW MEMBERSHIP...  (Read 19599 times)
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »

G3RZP ,
            All due respect sir . You mind the crown , we'll look after the colonies .

Who but ARRL briefs the government at the time policy is being made...
I would be extremely remiss if I allowed myself to be represented by any organization that practiced repetitive group insanity by backing the same legislation year after year expecting a different result.

Rather than reacting afterwards?
Like coexisting with foreign broadcast stations on 40M ?

Who, other than ARRL, sends amateur representation in the US delegations to ITU and CITEL to advise against accepting recommendations from other countries that are inimical to amateur radio?

...and is repeatedly mocked, belittled, and ignored by the world Amateur Radio community because it is routinely ignored, consulted after the fact, belittled and ignored by it's own home government.

I'll admit to a strong personal bias concerning the A.R.R.L. In this I am intractable . I see nothing in recent history nor in the foreseeable future to sway this opinion. I will offer as a counterpoint that In rare cases the A.R.R.L. and I are in agreement  by way of coincidence or happenstance . This in no way means that I will ever align myself with  the A.R.R.L. It simply means we agree.

I will represent myself to my elected officials personally .

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »

I will represent myself to my elected officials personally

Good luck with THAT!  I'm sure you'll get satisfactory results!   Roll Eyes
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 03:35:00 AM »

I will represent myself to my elected officials personally .

But do they understand the technical issues involved in spectrum engineering and management? For that matter, how well versed are you on those issues?

The broadcasters got into 7MHz at the 1938 Conference in Cairo: ARRL persuaded the government that that would be a bad thing in Region 2 and the US position influenced the other R2 governments. The 1959 conference chopped 7 MHz down to 100kHz in regions 1 and 3 and it took 50 years to get back to having 200kHz. Whether we will ever get back 7200 to 7300 worldwide is another matter...
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 03:55:06 AM »

ARRL membership is like anything else, you have a right to choose to belong or skip it..no right or wrong about it...do what you feel is right for you...
That pretty well sums up how all these ARRL threads should go...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »

Yeah, I guess I just don't understand the huge grievance, if any.  Sure they're slow, slower, and slowest, but on balance having them is much, much better than not.

The visceral hatred of the ARRL is very strange behavior, though.  Reminds me of the Apple vs. MS passions over the years, and the goofballs who threw themselves completely into that fray, while the well-adjusted world just thought: "get a life!"

Dunno, maybe just goes with the territory in an awkward/Asperger's infused hobby.  

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:29:46 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »

Yeah, I guess I just don't understand the huge grievance, if any.  Sure they're slow, slower, and slowest, but on balance having them is much, much better than not.

The visceral hatred is strange behavior, though.  Reminds me of the Apple vs. MS passions over the years, and the goofballs who threw themselves completely into the fray, while the well-adjusted observers just thought: "get a life!"

Nor do I, but alas, I guess we don't have to understand.  As I have said many times, I can't imagine Amateur Radio without the ARRL...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »

Absolutely, if for no other reason, they need the revenue.
Art
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »

.. snip..  Dunno, maybe just goes with the territory in an awkward/Asperger's infused hobby.

My my, lest we forget those of us afflicted with Tourettes......  Cheesy  Wink

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »

~snip The visceral hatred of the ARRL is very strange behavior, though.  Reminds me of the Apple vs. MS ~snip

Just to clarify, I would not describe my feelings toward the A.R.R.L. as hatred.
It's a choice. I choose not to support the A.R.R.L. . That I provide my reasons my be interpreted as a strong dislike. I reserve hatred as a final resort to much more important, much more personal issues.

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »

KOP, not supporting is just fine.  You have reasons...OK, FB.  I wouldn't internalize it too much.  The remark was very generally made, since the "Never Leaguers" have been around a long time.

KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:52 AM »

I like what I get out of QST, The digital QST is great but needs work. I can make it larger to read. But it will not let me save a copy of the monthly issue. I would be even to buy a whole year on CD if offered, but they don't even do that.
N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »

I didn't renew mine. The ARRL does "not" represent me. They are an organization thats time has come and gone.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 03:43:58 AM »

I like what I get out of QST, The digital QST is great but needs work. I can make it larger to read. But it will not let me save a copy of the monthly issue. I would be even to buy a whole year on CD if offered, but they don't even do that.
Well, they switched from CD-ROM to DVD a couple of years ago, but the ARRL does sell the entire year's publications (including QST, QEX, and so forth) on a disk.  Check the ARRL store.  I think they usually go for about $25
KA4AQM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:51 AM »

Yes. Yes.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 02:06:11 AM »

I've been a member for more years than I care to remember. Even though as a non US resident, one does not get to vote for directors. Wasn't the cry in 1776 'No taxation without representation'?

But I am a member because of their support for IARU and through IARU, the support for amateur radio at ITU and the various RTOs. Without which, there wouldn't be any international amateur radio.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: