The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good contact cleaner for switches?  (Read 4093 times)
KE2KB

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »

Hi;
I have pretty much completed restoration of my old HW-101 Xceiver. I seem to be having some trouble with the band switch, which is a multi-wafer rotary switch. After rotating the knob a dozen or so times, it has gotten better, but I would really like to do a better job at cleaning the contacts.

Any suggestions for a contact cleaner?

Thanks

Frank - KE2KB
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »

I use DeOxit for switches.  You can apply it to each contact with a toothpick or a fine artist's brush. 
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »

I use DeOxit for switches.  You can apply it to each contact with a toothpick or a fine artist's brush. 
Actually, I've got some of that. But I'm not sure I will be able to work it into the switch contacts. I'll have to see if I can gain access to them without too much trouble. Otherwise, I'll have to look for something that comes in a spray.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 04:14:56 AM »

I use CRC , QD contact cleaner. Comes in a spray can.  You can get it at Home Depot. Works very good for me.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 04:57:43 AM »

WD40 is good in a pinch!
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 06:03:53 AM »

Don't use WD40 on Kenwoods. It dissolves the wafer material. I don't know why, they just crumble after a bit.
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »

Actually, I've got some of that. But I'm not sure I will be able to work it into the switch contacts. I'll have to see if I can gain access to them without too much trouble. Otherwise, I'll have to look for something that comes in a spray.

Sometimes a syringe & needle works to get just a drop or two in the right place, sans oil slick in your radio.

Grin
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »

DeOxit in the original steel needle squeeze bottle can put a fractional drop just about anywhere you can stick a toothpick in.  just on the contact, please, all this stuff can arc over if there is enough DC being switched, and then you can have carbon tracks.
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »

DeOxit in the original steel needle squeeze bottle can put a fractional drop just about anywhere you can stick a toothpick in.  just on the contact, please, all this stuff can arc over if there is enough DC being switched, and then you can have carbon tracks.
Good point. I was asking myself that question after I put some on the band switch. I don't think that switch has enough voltage on it to arc over, but some of the others do. Does DeOxit dry to a non-conductive state? Otherwise, I will have to opt for one of the sprays.
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »

I use CRC , QD contact cleaner. Comes in a spray can.  You can get it at Home Depot. Works very good for me.
I think I'll take a run over to my local HD on Monday (not open on Sunday here in NJ) and pick up a can of the CRC.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 01:30:07 AM »

DeOxit comes in a spray......
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 03:21:10 AM »

Auto parts stores have a good selection of servicing chemicals like QD and Electra-motive. Be aware that aerosol wash overspray can harm plastics and paints. 'Safe for all plastics' may not always be the case.
 I use a jewelers screwdriver tip to apply DeOxit right to where I want it. It doesn't dry up and an oil film may attract and hold dust. It may also 'wick' into areas that you don't want it to be.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 05:04:32 AM »

DeOxit comes in a spray......
  DeoxIT is available in many different applications.  Just go to Caig's webpage.  I would try to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser if you can get to them easily, and then get a small bottle of DeoxIT with the brush and then just brush it the contacts.  Spraying the wafer with DeoxIT can sometimes cause the wafer itself to swell, and that just creates more problem.  I would just brush the DeoxIT on the switch itself, but that's just me.

KU4UV
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 05:08:40 AM »

Gun oil.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »

Often the poor connectivity at rotary switches is only partially caused by corrosion. Another contributing factor would be the loss of spring tension on the fingers that grab the wafer. Be careful in cleaning, if you snag the fingers you can accidentally bend them and then the switch will never be right again.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: