The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: e6ag qrv from niue also qrv in ft8 should be interesting  (Read 1657 times)
VK3MEG

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »

HI guys grant vk5gr is qrv from niue as e6ag he is using ssb rtty and also ft8 just worked him on 20m in ft8 this mode is surprising me by its relative efficiency he is slamming out the qso's pretty quick i have been trying to work the guys using this mode in dxcc that i'm not desperate for to get the practice up and its paying off. this now gives me hope for  3y0z as going lp with 100w to there from vk will be no easy feat at the bottom of the cycle.
 give grant a call and have fun its been a while since there have been any real pile ups.
http://e6ag.net/

nb my mate just worked him in ft8  from the moblie.
W9FI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 09:27:21 PM »

I was up early this morning and worked him on FT8 at around 0910Z on 40 meters.  He pulled my 25-watt signal out of the pileup (of mostly JA stations) rather quickly.  This was a new digital entity for me and a very surprising, satisfying contact.  Who would have thought even a year ago that this could have been possible.

There's no doubt in my mind that FT8 is going to revolutionize DXing.  It's made long-distance QSOs routinely possible for many people with modest stations, even under mediocre propagation conditions. Thanks, Grant, for including FT8 in your operating schedule.

73,  Jim  W9FI

WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 07:11:51 AM »

Snagged E6AG last night (local time) on 17m.

FT8 is getting to be a bit strange in my neck of the woods.  At many favorable hours, the stateside stations all drown each other out.  No DX is decoded, though I am sure it is there.  You seem to have to be a bit on the off hours to work DX now.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »

FT8 is getting to be a bit strange in my neck of the woods.  At many favorable hours, the stateside stations all drown each other out.  No DX is decoded, though I am sure it is there.  You seem to have to be a bit on the off hours to work DX now.

As Yogi Berra said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded!"
W9FI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »

Using FT8 for DXing will require some modification to your operating procedures.  I'm having good FT8 DX success by operating during the times that the grey line is dominant in the mornings and evenings.  On bands where I have a directional antenna (a two-element Yagi) I point it away from the USA and towards the SP or LP direction of interest.  With the dipoles I just go with whatever the propagation is serving.

For DXing I do a lot of "search and pounce" work.  During the times that I CQ on an "empty" frequency, I'll answer whomever is strongest because the weaker signals can't be copied.  So I'll get the local callers out of the way quickly.  Barring a massive change in propagation, I'll hear the DX calling me sooner or later.

The other skill to master is split frequency operation.  I've gotten several really rare ones in the log simply by receiving on one frequency and transmitting on another that's a few hundred HZ away.  My signal gets through while those who use simplex drown out each other.

Happy hunting on the new digital modes.

Jim  W9FI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: