The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper way to tune?  (Read 2514 times)
KJ6DRG

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:06:23 AM »

I do not get on the radio as often as I wish I could, and even after being licensed for 8 years I don't have many entries in my logbook. I don't have much experience with this, but what exactly is the proper way to tune up on air? Do I need to go off frequency a little bit to avoid interference, then go back to the frequency I wan't to transmit on and hope my SWR isn't too high? This is assuming I have found someone on a particular frequency and want to talk to them, not calling CQ on an open frequency.

Thanks for helping me with my ignorance!!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »

Make sure you do not go out of band or the OO police will send you a card..Wow Trying to help fellow hams. Have a Joyous Day Be Safe and God  Bless.

I love this Hobby..
Stay Safe
Time to do antenna work.
73zz
November Fever is Comming
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »

You are correct to move off frequency to tune up.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »

Make sure you do not go out of band or the OO police will send you a card..Wow

And stay in band simply because it is the right thing to do. Then you don't have to worry about OOs or peer pressure, etc.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:24:59 AM by N0YXB » Logged
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »

Move off frequency to tune up - it shouldn't matter regarding VSWR to move a few kHz.

ID quickly when done.

Mike N2MG
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »

You are correct to move off frequency to tune up.
I assume the "tune up" is adjusting your antenna's SWR to Radio interface and not tube/hybrid radios tuning (carrier, plate current, grid current).
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »

If you decide to go out of band watch out on the weekends there are 3x as many O.O.,S.Be careful the O.O. Cards are double the fines\trouble aka a blemish on your ham record for a weekend Violation..Have a Joyous Day and  be Safe And God Bless.Hoping that someday ham radio will be taught in Public and Private School.  73$$$  Be careful of the W.T.T.C. they are EVERYWHERE....73$$$
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:19:26 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »

The procedure will very slightly depending on what "tune up" means.  But basicly when landing on a new band, where either antenna tuning or rig tuning (old tube type rigs) is required.  find a nearby frequency that appears unoccupied, listen for a few seconds. and perform your tuning procedure, whether that is as simple as pushing the auto tune button on a modern internal antenna tuner, which will typically take less than 2 seconds  at a very low power level or operating a manual tuner with as small amount of power as you can reliably use to perform the manual tune up procedure.

If you have an old tube rig, you will have to eventually use full power to get it tuned up.  That is definitely one of the things I don't miss about old tube rigs. Be sure to identify when you are finished.

This is definitely why modern rigs with auto tuners which use very low power, and extremely short sequences or fully autotrac and don't need to be tuned at all are becoming more the norm, and lengthy tune up procedures are becoming less common.

Always listen first and try to find an unused frequency, and never tune up on the frequency of interest that is already occupied.  

If you want to really "tee" people off, find a rare DX station with a rather weak signal, and perform a lengthy tune up procedure right on his frequency, and when finished, say "Hola, Hola Hooooolaaa"  a bunch of times to make sure all looks well.  Guaranteed to stir up hate and discontent in a hurry.  
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »

If you want to really "tee" people off, find a rare DX station with a rather weak signal, and perform a lengthy tune up procedure right on his frequency, and when finished, say "Hola, Hola Hooooolaaa"  a bunch of times to make sure all looks well.  Guaranteed to stir up hate and discontent in a hurry.  

Exactly!
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »

Boy howdy and do not do that ever!  Angry If you do, then when you ID, everyone knows who to send the hate email to.  Angry  Es no bueno...  Wink

WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »

The one thing I will add is you don't tune up anything ON THE AIR except your antenna but you can it's your choice.  Use a clear frequency be as brief as you can adjust whatever device you have manual or auto until all is good.  Any old rigs like the TS 520 or an Amp you (SHOULD) use a dummy load but most folks don't seem to own them and tune up on the air instead.  Good luck and don't worry about it too much this is just a hobby have fun.           
KJ6DRG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »

Sorry folks, I should have mentioned I am using an Elecraft KX2 with internal autotuner. I guess I just need to move a few kHz away, push the "ATU" button and then move back to the frequency of interest. Thanks for the info!!
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

You are more than welcome Sir.  Sounds like a nice Rig Elecraft has a great reputation.  Good luck and have fun. 
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »

Wow. Really .A ham saying to tune to a shortwave station.Not even a CB OPERATOR would do that.Have a Joyous Day.God Bless.73..November Fever is getting closer and closer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:25:21 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »

But most importantly remember this,
You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish !

REO
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:25:21 PM by SWMAN » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: