The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: d104 from the anchor days  (Read 1800 times)
KB2WVO

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »

not sure. but bein it was built int he anchor days..
i have a 10-DA head ... friend told me sounds soooooo BAD... i know its not the d104 bas as i changed heads to the old round ones and its fine..

so i post the image below.. as iam guessin maybe this is the issue...

can anyone tell me what the heck it is?? it goes between both wires of the element so no clue.. ther eis a brown round cap near the plug itself that goes into the neck on the 104 base. and one in the base..

so not sure if its a cap or something else..

VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »

It could be a carbon microphone and its associated transformer. It's a bit hard to see if the black flecks are escaping from the microphone or coming from somewhere else but the inside of the mic stand does look a bit black - is it slippery, like graphite?

A carbon mic would never have been hi-fi but if it's deteriorating it would sound even worse. Very likely the output levels are extremely high so you could also be over-driving the radio.
KB2WVO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:46:19 PM »

It could be a carbon microphone and its associated transformer. It's a bit hard to see if the black flecks are escaping from the microphone or coming from somewhere else but the inside of the mic stand does look a bit black - is it slippery, like graphite?

A carbon mic would never have been hi-fi but if it's deteriorating it would sound even worse. Very likely the output levels are extremely high so you could also be over-driving the radio.

the black stuff is whats left of the foam. it turned into like oily mess the min i touched it lol ...
mmmm a transformer.. mmm maybe.. i hooked it str8 to radio. it gives the same drive on neddle as with out the stand for it.. but waitin for friend to get back to tell me how it sounds..

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »

Wow. I read your paragraphs five times. You don't use capitilation?
What is str8 and 10-DA head?

I don't understand what 'it' is. You mean the yellow thing? It looks
like a nine volt rectangular battery. Maybe factory-installed battery.

Or an old-time capacitor.

Kraus
KB2WVO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »

anyways.........

i hooked it rite to the radio with 3 jumpers. seems to work better then on the mic stand itself with the amp board.
but it isnt as loud with no amp.. lol ..

i put it back in the drawer for now. goin to rebuild the base and use the normal round head or element . what ever u wish to call them ..
seems to work good on the old sb110.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:19:51 PM by KB2WVO » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: