The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Icom 7610 pre-launch thread  (Read 26792 times)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »

Don't forget that the IC-718 and FT-450D contain several microprocessors and peripheral devices than can just as easily fail.

I recently replaced one of the 100 legged microcontrollers in an FT450at.  it was next to a 200 legged one.  Now that was fun, let me tell you.  They are not in sockets by the way..  They are SMD componets, and this 100 leg square chip was about 1/4 the size of a postage stamp.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »

Don't forget that the IC-718 and FT-450D contain several microprocessors and peripheral devices than can just as easily fail.

I recently replaced one of the 100 legged microcontrollers in an FT450at.  it was next to a 200 legged one.  Now that was fun, let me tell you.  They are not in sockets by the way..  They are SMD componets, and this 100 leg square chip was about 1/4 the size of a postage stamp.

That's quite a feat.  There was a time when I probably could have done it but not now, I don't see as well as used to and my hands are not as steady.  That's the problem with new rigs, the components are so small and some of them require special soldering and de-soldering equipment.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2017, 07:09:47 AM »

Another thing the 7610 will have over the 7300 is an APF for CW.
I am a fan of audio peaking filters.  Great for pulling up a weak CW signal
out of the noise. 

Bob
K6UJ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »

Another thing the 7610 will have over the 7300 is an APF for CW.
I am a fan of audio peaking filters.  Great for pulling up a weak CW signal
out of the noise. 

Bob
K6UJ

The 7600 has APF, and while there is a "difference", I've tried all kinds of settings and adjustments with it (even in crowded contest conditions), but still heard the weakest of CW signals OK without it in circuit. But then again I don't have much, if any at times, (artificial) noise level at my QTH. So YMMV as to how effective that feature is for you. Or, maybe I just haven't mastered it's use Wink.

There's no question that the 7610 has enough upgrades and features over a 7300 to justify it being more than twice the price. But unless you want to run SO2V with the two receivers in a contest, or really find a need to have the display on a larger screen, the 7300 is more than enough radio at a bargain price to satisfy the majority of HR usage. I find myself using the 7300 over my 7600 about 90% of the time, even in contests. It's just more fun, with a sharper display, relegating the 7600 to my backup. Even for DXing, as long as a radio has split capability, I don't think having two receivers or Dual Watch capability is a "must have". I've been satisfied and have no trouble just pushing the XFC button to find the station the DX is working on split. Just my opinion and experience. Again your needs might vary.

Am I thinking about replacing the 7600 with a 7610? Possibly, but probably not within the first year of its release. Waiting for reviews and possible bug fixes (although Icom traditionally is good out of the box) before pulling the trigger. To those that will be the early adopters, have fun and enjoy it! Looks like a winner.

73,  Bob K7JQ
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »

I find myself using the 7300 over my 7600 about 90% of the time, even in contests. It's just more fun, with a sharper display, relegating the 7600 to my backup. Even for DXing, as long as a radio has split capability, I don't think having two receivers or Dual Watch capability is a "must have". I've been satisfied and have no trouble just pushing the XFC button to find the station the DX is working on split. Just my opinion and experience. Again your needs might vary.

Pretty much my exact thoughts and experience.  I don't have a 7600, but my 756Pro3 is similar. And yep the pro 3 is the backup now and the 7300 is the prime rig.  It took me about a day to decide that after getting the 7300 for a "backup"  The 7300 is just too much fun.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »

At this time I am using the 7300 or a ftdx3K, they both have some excellent features, if I want a BIG display I put the 3000 in line with its IF out to an external sdr and it gives displays as good as any friends Flex 6300. On the higher bands I like to use the 7300, the NB is the best I have used thus far along with the NR which makes copy like FM, the rx is slightly hotter at times but on both radio's I don't use any pre amps except on 15,10 and 6 on the 3K when needed but both have excellent sensitivity. Do I want a 7610 well after looking at the under the hood pics of the RX board on the 7610 and 7300 from what I have seen its very close to whats used in the 7300 just double. I only wish that Icom would have installed some for of monitor output on the 7300 but its own display may be small but works very well. At this time the 7610 would have to be allot lower in price then the pre TBA has been so far to make me move in that direction.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »

Just put him on ignore, its pointless to have anything to do with some people.

Exactly.  It is what I did some time ago.  His opinions on everything are nothing but antagonistic and trollish. Why bother trying to reason with him.  He is mentally ill and we cannot fix it.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2017, 07:04:46 AM »

Still no published documentation regarding FCC certification for the IC-7610.  The current word is that Australian dealers will be getting them next month and possibly some in the UK as well but not in the US until the FCC Certification is done.  I don't see that happening until next year since the bureaucracy at the FCC is so slow that if one of them fell out of a second story window it would take them a week to hit the street.

So it looks like all we can do now is wait and see.  The good news is, the Ozzies will provide plenty of good feedback on features and performance.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »

KA4DPO, agreed.  The Ozzies (Oz man himself, Sharon and the kids) are good at equipment reviews.

In the meantime, the Aussies will provide good insight as well.   Grin
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »

... but not in the US until the FCC Certification is done.  I don't see that happening until next year since the bureaucracy at the FCC is so slow that if one of them fell out of a second story window it would take them a week to hit the street.

One of the smart things the FCC did years ago was allow private lab "TCB"s to be able to post the results, depending on the type of product. So I would expect it to go relatively quickly once they choose to pull the trigger.

Jim K6JH
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »

... but not in the US until the FCC Certification is done.  I don't see that happening until next year since the bureaucracy at the FCC is so slow that if one of them fell out of a second story window it would take them a week to hit the street.

One of the smart things the FCC did years ago was allow private lab "TCB"s to be able to post the results, depending on the type of product. So I would expect it to go relatively quickly once they choose to pull the trigger.

I think you are right. There was a post in the 7610 Yahoo Group thread that included an email to one of the Groups members from Ray Novak, Icom USA Sales Mgr. In that email, he said 7610s should be under some Christmas trees.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »

I wonder if the users/buyers in the Japan market are required to remain silent
until more global shipments are available?

It is confusing;  A reasonable number know English;  and the 7610 is already in the
hands of many Japanese customers, yet...  No Reviews.   No Posts,   Nothing.
Even if you google globally, I suspect there might only be one or two reviews
on local forums in Japan.  Nothing posted in english yet.
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2017, 06:05:11 AM »

Might Call up a search engine. Use google or equivalent translate program for popular Japanese sites. Possibly some chatter available. Must be something, even the gag directive if any.  Grin

Rick, W3RSW
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2017, 07:29:55 AM »

Maybe Trump issued a secret executive order banning imports from Japan. Grin
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »

Maybe Trump issued a secret executive order banning imports from Japan. Grin

Trump?  :-)    He could not even point to Japan on a map.
The only thing he issues.... we really should not talk about here,
it is not a "Sanitation Engineering Forum", right?  :-)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: