The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good 12/24 Hour Clock?  (Read 916 times)
KA1OWC

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

I am building a go-box and would like to include a small clock that has two readouts: 12 and 24 hour...One for local and one for UTC...It would have to be fairly small, maybe 4x6 inches and mount flat...Looked lots of places but can't seem to find what I need...Any ideas appreciated!

Steve, KA1OWC

Steve, KA1OWC
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, US Army
Army Nurse Corps
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:17:10 PM »

If accuracy ("atomic" clock) isn't a primary concern, MFJ sells a pair of digital clocks that are only about 1/2" thick and about 4-5" long.  I've used a pair of these for years.  I do have to correct the time periodically but after all this is ham radio, not a rocket launch.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:45 AM »

How about a digital wrist watch that can alternate easily between local and 24 hour UTC time?
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »

I also have the double MFJ small clocks. The number for that little unit is 108B. I have had mine for 12 years now and I think that I changed the button cell batteries 4 times only in 12 years. Mine is pretty accurate and I seldom have to reset the time on them. The cost is 20 bucks for the 2 of them in a nice little rack case holder.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »

Gotcha all beat. Moe, Larry and Curly sound off every hour, on the hour.

Woo-woo-woo!!!

Kraus
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »

I also have the double MFJ small clocks. The number for that little unit is 108B. I have had mine for 12 years now and I think that I changed the button cell batteries 4 times only in 12 years. Mine is pretty accurate and I seldom have to reset the time on them. The cost is 20 bucks for the 2 of them in a nice little rack case holder.

I have the same clock and I'm changing the batteries in the local time side on the average of every three months.  I changed the battery in the UTC side once in the last three years.  I'm not happy with it...
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »

You could use an old Garmin nuvi GPS in "World Clock" mode.  It has 3 times, you could select one to be your local time, and another UPS.  The time is set off the GPS system, which is very accurate. 

This assumes that the GPS signals will get into your ham shack. 
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »

I've had one of the MFJ dual-digital clocks in the past, nice little gadget.  Casio makes several inexpensive radio-controlled watches; I have one in the car and one on my portable rig, about $20 each when I bought them, and you can leave them set to UTC for ultimate convenience, since you've got local time on your wrist with your regular watch.  And if you want both local and GMT at the same time, there are several inexpensive Timexes that have a 12-hour analog dial and a 24-h digital display; the two are not linked so each has to be set separately.

I finally bought a Citizen "Blue Angels" AT watch; a bit pricey, but it's solar powered, it sets itself every night, and I've got the big analog dial set to local time and the digital window set to UTC--and the two are linked and both are absolutely accurate, all the time. There's also a small 24-h analog UTC dial, but it's a bit hard for me to read accurately, so I use the digital window for UTC.  This is the best watch I've ever owned and I'm pretty sure it'll be the last watch I ever buy. :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: