The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable ops and identification  (Read 496 times)
KZ3L

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »

Hello,

I plan to do some portable ops on HF in the near future at several different CONUS locations and am trying to keep the logbooks (Log4OM, LoTW, eQSL, and QRZ.com) straight and consistent with the suffix I use. Some operations will be in my current region (8-land, in Ohio), others in 3-land, and there may be others as well.

For simplicity's sake, it seems identifying as "KZ3L/P" or "KZ3L Portable" when away from my home QTH would be simplest. I would obtain a KZ3L/P certificate in LoTW and establish different operating locations under this certificate and use a parallel approach with the other services.

Is "/P" this pretty much the standard for today, or are most portable operators identify using the numeric designator (e.g. /P8 or just /8)?

I know it's important to maintain consistency between logbooks and on-air identification, or the QSOs won't match, hence the reason for this question. Likewise, keeping my call sign short is always helpful when on CW or the JT modes.

There are a few threads I've read on this topic but I haven't been able to ascertain the common and recommended practice for today. I've spent many years away from the hobby until diving back in last year... paper logbooks were the only practice when I was active years ago.

Thank you for the help,
Kevin KZ3L
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »

Hello Kevin. These days it's not required to identify as portable if you're not at your home location. Many do it as a curtesy. If you did identify as portable, it would be KZ3L/8 or on phone KZ3L portable 8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: